barrel length- chamber or no chamber? - Page 2
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Legal and Activism > barrel length- chamber or no chamber?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-27-2014, 02:17 AM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 1905 Times on 1060 Posts
Likes Given: 1255

There are rifles with a revolving cylinder. Rossi makes one in 45 colt/410 shotgun.

Romans 1:16 I am not ashamed of the gospel, because it is the power of God for the salvation of everyone who believes: first for the Jew, then for the Gentile.

Old 02-27-2014, 08:09 AM   #12
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 9146 Times on 3949 Posts
Likes Given: 1426

There is no minimum length for a revolver barrel. That is simply how they are measured.

Revolving rifles, tho.......

What we have here is... failure- to communicate.

Last edited by c3shooter; 02-27-2014 at 08:12 AM.

Old 02-27-2014, 11:48 AM   #13

Liked 9 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Lol, The guy's actually from another auction house. Wasn't too far off

Old 02-27-2014, 04:51 PM   #14

Liked 24 Times on 17 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by c3shooter View Post
You wanted chapter and verse? You should have asked- here ya go-
http://www.atf.gov/files/publications/download/p/atf-p-5320-8/atf-p-5320-8-chapter-2.pdf

In addition, the test is made with the action cocked so that the firing pin does not protrude from the bolt face. The dowel will be close to bore diameter so it does not measure across the bore, but straight up and down.

The one exception to this method is for a revolver. There a flat surface is placed across the forcing cone, and measurement made from muzzle to the end of the forcing cone.

PS- you met a dolt!
Not that it makes a difference in measuring legal length of a barrel, but one error i did see in the atf document is it references the powder in both shotgun and rifle cartridges as an explosive. Correctly its a propellant.

Old 02-27-2014, 05:01 PM   #15

Liked 2545 Times on 1452 Posts
Likes Given: 1976

Try to view this from the bright side, OP.

Now you know what an ***hole looks like...

Old 02-27-2014, 05:08 PM   #16
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 9146 Times on 3949 Posts
Likes Given: 1426

pony- while it does act as a propellant, the maker classes it as an explosive- the first ingredient in many smokeless powders is nitroglycerine.

Here is the Material Safety data Sheet for Bullseye powder. Please note the use of term explosive. Yes, I know, in the open, it burns. So does C-4.

http://www.alliantpowder.com/downloads/msds/Bullseye.pdf

What we have here is... failure- to communicate.

Old 02-27-2014, 05:43 PM   #17

Liked 24 Times on 17 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by c3shooter View Post
pony- while it does act as a propellant, the maker classes it as an explosive- the first ingredient in many smokeless powders is nitroglycerine.

Here is the Material Safety data Sheet for Bullseye powder. Please note the use of term explosive. Yes, I know, in the open, it burns. So does C-4.

http://www.alliantpowder.com/downloads/msds/Bullseye.pdf
gas/diesel/gassious fuels are explode when contained also, but are regulated as flammable. Fertilizer is highly explosive but carries no such label.
As i recall there is no "propellant" classification, as compared to the explosive label.

Old 02-28-2014, 02:13 AM   #18
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 398 Times on 206 Posts
Likes Given: 596

Quote:
Originally Posted by PocketsRN View Post
Ok, everything I've come across thus far says the chamber is included in the barrel length. I have an old winchester '97 that a previous owner cut down. Took it to the local auction yesterday, and they refused to sell it, said it was too short. Their gun "expert" says chamber doesnt count. Said he had a HLS officer look at it and say he wouldnt pass it. Can somebody clear this up for me, or where I can find it in the legal literature? Thanks.
The "expert" on site operated under the safe side assumption that he didn't want his name anywhere near an above the table transfer of anything that had been sawed off-regardless of how much or by who.
Pay no mind what the book or the law says or what is honest and right. It is what the agent thinks that has his boot on your neck during the raid that matters. At that moment if his opinion is that the measurement should begin 2 feet from the end of the chamber, that is all that matters in your world as you look down at teeth on the floor that used to be a comfortable part of your mouth.

Hey..... what's the red button do?

Old 04-10-2014, 06:06 PM   #19

Liked 9 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Finally had a little chat with the guy, and his former federal agent buddy, too. First he tried to tell me that measurement only applies to trenchguns. Then he told me he did measure it that way too (why, I wonder, since it only applies to trenchguns?...), and flat out denied having told me you don't measure the chamber. He could never give me a straight answer in the context of the nfa. The gun was too short because he, the other guy, and the dealer said so. I told him I understood the whole safe side assumption thing, and the dealer not wanting the risk, but when I asked him to tell me how that gun qualified as illegal within the context of the nfa, he denied ever telling me it was illegal. And the whole time, all his buddy could say was "I was a federal agent, I did this for 32 years. I was a federal agent, I did this for 32 years."

Old 04-10-2014, 07:33 PM   #20
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 5733 Times on 3359 Posts
Likes Given: 4877

Quote:
Originally Posted by PocketsRN View Post
... And the whole time, all his buddy could say was "I was a federal agent, I did this for 32 years. I was a federal agent, I did this for 32 years."
I had a state job for a decade and saw some people keep their jobs when any sane manager would have fired and probably beaten them more senseless. That was at a state agency; you are talking FEDERAL agency idiocy here, a whole nother class of idiocy. That guy may have spent his whole tenure stapling papers he couldn't read.

Dead Bears, the only good kind.

People Like This