Ban on concealed weapons on Georgia university campuses lifted?

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Legal and Activism > Ban on concealed weapons on Georgia university campuses lifted?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-18-2010, 03:47 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Default Ban on concealed weapons on Georgia university campuses lifted?

I received this email this morning and I was very excited:

Fellow students,

As you may know, the State of Georgia legislature is considering House Bill 615, a bill that aims to eliminate the existing ban on concealed weapons on university campuses. Your Undergraduate Student Government Association is working to formulate a resolution stating the official Georgia Tech student position on the bill.

So what do you guys think?

"If guns cause crime then all of mine are defective." -Ted Nugent

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 02-19-2010, 02:30 PM   #2

I say awsome, best way to stop mass murder on campus is by killing the Killer.

"The Tree of Liberty must be watered from time to time with the blood of Patriots and Tyrants."
Thomas Jefferson

Old 02-19-2010, 02:37 PM   #3

Liked 22 Times on 7 Posts

Lots of folks have been working hard here in GA to ensure HB 615 passes this session. None, and I repeat none of the schools in GA support this and many in the state legislature fear the "wild west" in the classrooms.

Instead of focusing on adult students being able to carry (if they have a permit) on a college campus, the rank & file and the media is trying to make it sound like students will be OK bringing guns to high school. While I hope this part stays in the bill, I wouldn't be surprised if this section is sacrificed to get the rest of the fixes this bill contains - such as the repeal of the public gathering law.

The local GA 2A rights organization, Georgia Carry : An information clearinghouse for Georgia Firearms License issues and news, has been supporting this tremendously...

Old 02-19-2010, 03:38 PM   #4

Liked 39 Times on 29 Posts
Likes Given: 137

If they can get it passed it's a good first step. When is the vote?

Greg

“The stupid neither forgive nor forget; the naive forgive and forget; the wise forgive but do not forget.”

"Never underestimate the predictability of stupid"

Old 02-19-2010, 03:48 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by gregs887 View Post
If they can get it passed it's a good first step. When is the vote?
Not sure yet. The bill has passed the GA house but still needs to pass the GA senate. The laws here in GA are very strange (many hail from the old Jim Crow days) and this bill is hope for many of us.

The college students at Georgia Tech and the other schools in the Atlanta area have it tough as the BG's know guns are forbidden within 1000 feet of any school property - so it's a hunting zone for them...

Old 02-19-2010, 05:39 PM   #6

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by NGIB View Post
Not sure yet. The bill has passed the GA house but still needs to pass the GA senate. The laws here in GA are very strange (many hail from the old Jim Crow days) and this bill is hope for many of us.

The college students at Georgia Tech and the other schools in the Atlanta area have it tough as the BG's know guns are forbidden within 1000 feet of any school property - so it's a hunting zone for them...
after 12 on campus can get pretty scary especially when the campus is so open
we always have a few robberies/crimes on campus ever semester
if this past at least some of these crimes could be prevented
hope this goes through

"If guns cause crime then all of mine are defective." -Ted Nugent

Last edited by junho806; 02-19-2010 at 05:42 PM.

Old 02-19-2010, 07:33 PM   #7
jbd

i hope it passes so that maybe some more university's across the country might follow. they just might when they see crime numbers fall, and i think they will fall.

Old 05-12-2010, 09:47 PM   #8

Try killing a few people and see if they will reenstate it....just a thought!

Old 05-12-2010, 11:12 PM   #9

HB 615 never made it thru the process and SB308 and SB291 were passed and sent to the Gov for signature. While they remove the within 1000 ft of school no carry zones, carry at school is still a negative. Again, all of the GA schools were actively against any form of student carry - period.

If the Gov signs these bills, things get better but there is still a long way to go...

Old 05-12-2010, 11:23 PM   #10

Default Yep--close, but no cigar

To add to NGIB's post-the lifting of the campus ban (as well as the ban on church property) was in SB308, but once the two versions (as past by the two houses) went for final reconciliation, they wimped out on the school and church parts of the bill and eliminated those features.

As a sidelight, my son who is involved with the Student Government at the college he attends, told me that they debated this part of the bill. The vast majority of the kids favored continuing the ban. My son was one of the few who supported the concept of self-defense by students. I fear we will not find much support amongst the very liberal-minded students.