Baltimore Gun Control

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Legal and Activism > Baltimore Gun Control

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-19-2010, 07:13 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default Baltimore Gun Control

There is this policy on gun control in Baltimore where police are allowed to do surprise checks on the homes of known felons searching for guns. I get a bad feeling about this. What about this, do you think its a good idea?

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 05-19-2010, 07:35 PM   #2

Liked 17 Times on 12 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by clip11 View Post
There is this policy on gun control in Baltimore where police are allowed to do surprise checks on the homes of known felons searching for guns. I get a bad feeling about this. What about this, do you think its a good idea?
On known felons? Felons of any kind, including non-violent felons with no history of using a firearm to commit the crime for which they were convicted? Is just cause needed, or do they just pull a name from a hat? Are these felons still on parole or probation?

How about posting a link to the law or maybe quote the law as written. I would need more information before I decide how I feel. Also, I would not be surprised if Baltimore is not the only place where a similar law is in place.

From C3Shooter:
Skullcrusher, you are evil, sick, demented, twisted- and my hero!

Quote:
Originally Posted by pandamonium View Post
...without the Second, we cannot protect the rest!

Old 05-19-2010, 07:40 PM   #3

Liked 39 Times on 19 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
I don't see this as being real can you give me a little more information on where you read or heard about this policy? Police can't just search a home without a warrant and to get a warrant they have to have probable cause. Now if a felon is on parole then his parole officer can do home checks and some states allow searches, but that is state by state.

Old 05-19-2010, 07:53 PM   #4

I read it in the Detroit free press on Sunday. It talked about what Baltimore was doing to reduce gun crimes. This isnt the exact article I read but it talks about the same thing:

Targeting guns to reduce violent crime - CSMonitor.com

Old 05-19-2010, 08:20 PM   #5
FTF_MODERATOR.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 2692 Times on 1406 Posts
Likes Given: 216

Searches w/o Probable Cause will get tossed eventually. Unfortunately, some folks are of the mentality that "you can beat the rap, but you can't beat the ride". These people will pursue cases they know will eventually get thrown out just to get some political mileage.

Just because someone is a Felon does not give anyone the right to search their residence, car or person. Being on Parole does not change that fact much. They may be able to force a UA, but searching the hosue because he "might" have a gun will not sit well with the SCOTUS.

The SCOTUS has already ruled that convicted Felons cannot be prosecuted for failing to register a firearm because that would be a 5th Amendment violation (self incrimination) as they would have to admit to a crime to even register the firearm.

In life, strive to take the high road....It offers a better field of fire.
"Robo is right" Fuzzball

Old 05-19-2010, 08:28 PM   #6

The thugs in Baltimore already have guns. The law abiding folk cannot legally carry to protect themselves (with rare exception). Gee, the cops will protect me though! (sarcasm intended).

Old 05-19-2010, 08:53 PM   #7

Liked 17 Times on 12 Posts

Quote:
I read it in the Detroit free press on Sunday. It talked about what Baltimore was doing to reduce gun crimes. This isnt the exact article I read but it talks about the same thing:

Ok, first of all the Detroit Free Press is a far cry from being the Christian Science Monitor. When I was in college, the C.S. Monitor was the only media source that was allowed to be used for a reference in Poly Sci courses. In fact, several PS classes required the student to subscribe to the CSM.

I am posting the same link, but from page one.

I may have missed something, but nowhere does the article say that the police are invading felons residences in search of illegal guns without a warrant. The story talks of Gun Task Forces who are targeting known gun related felons over some other crime violatons in an attempt to quell the murder and attempted murder rates. In other words, the 15 year old with a few bags of weed is gonna run, but the experienced "...baggy pants with no belt and a Glock shoved down there guy will just try to walk away because he knows how the police operate..."

From C3Shooter:
Skullcrusher, you are evil, sick, demented, twisted- and my hero!

Quote:
Originally Posted by pandamonium View Post
...without the Second, we cannot protect the rest!

Last edited by skullcrusher; 05-19-2010 at 08:55 PM. Reason: fear of the grammar patrol...lol

Old 05-19-2010, 09:24 PM   #8

I would have to see more about these laws before commenting, however, gun control of any kind usually acts to control the use and ownership of guns by law abiding citizen. We all know that criminals don't care or abide by the gun control laws.

Old 05-24-2010, 03:02 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by ALSGUN View Post
I would have to see more about these laws before commenting, however, gun control of any kind usually acts to control the use and ownership of guns by law abiding citizen. We all know that criminals don't care or abide by the gun control laws.
if only politicians knew this!

If we dont stand together we dont stand a chance. unknown

One of the greatest delusions in the world is the hope that the evils of the world are to be cured by legislation. Thomas Reed

Old 05-24-2010, 02:37 PM   #10

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Polititians DO know this. We all know gun control has NOTHING to do with reducing crime. We all know the stats too, gun regs up, crime up,- gun regs down, crime down.Our Gov will NEVER be able to deal with crime and criminals because they are too afraid to NOT be POLITICALY CORRECT!
It really sucks though when convicted felons have more rights than law abiding citizens.

"I pledge allegiance to the flag of the United States of America, and to the republic for which it stands, one nation under God, indivisible, with liberty and justice for all."

The two enemies of the people are criminals and government, so let us tie the second down with the chains of the Constitution so the second will not become the legalized version of the first. Thomas Jefferson