Background check delay cost me a deal
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Legal and Activism > Background check delay cost me a deal

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-10-2012, 12:00 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 39 Times on 32 Posts

Default Background check delay cost me a deal

Government background checks have cost me unnecessary time in the past. Today it cost me money and a great deal. It was opening day at Langley AFB new gun-counter. They had some terrific deals. My background check was "delayed" and the gun I was getting sold out. Why are they wasting my time with an unnecessary "delay" like has happened before? Today, the "delay" cost me the deal. I have a carry license, so my stuff should go through without a delay. In fact, if you have a valid carry license already, you shouldn't have to do background check again at all! Government generally always does things poorly. Today was an example of this. Half the blame can go on the AFB gun-counter since they wouldn't hold the gun during the background check. Most gun-shops will hold the gun for you during the background check, but not the government run AFB gun-counter. They let some other guy whose check wasn't delayed buy my gun. LOL

So, does anybody know how I can find out why my stuff is getting delayed? I figured it was because I bought several guns last year, but the delays are getting longer each time and now it cost me a deal.

. Mossberg 500 12g
. Stoeger Coach 12g
RIFLES:
. Remington 700 300 WinMag
. Bushmaster M-4 223
. Ruger Mini-14 223
. Ruger 10/22 22LR (x2)
. Rossi 1892 Lever 357
HANDGUNS:
. Remington R1 & R1S 1911 45 ACP (x2)
. Springfield Armory XDm 45 ACP
. Beretta Px4 Storm 45 ACP
. Beretta 92FS 9mm (x2)
. Ruger Vaquero 357 (x2)
. Ruger LCR 357
. Ruger LCP 380
. Ruger 22/45 22LR
. Walther P22 22LR

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 03-10-2012, 12:14 AM   #2

Liked 776 Times on 449 Posts
Likes Given: 491

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marthor View Post
Government background checks have cost me unnecessary time in the past. Today it cost me money and a great deal. It was opening day at Langley AFB new gun-counter. They had some terrific deals. My background check was "delayed" and the gun I was getting sold out. Why are they wasting my time with an unnecessary "delay" like has happened before? Today, the "delay" cost me the deal. I have a carry license, so my stuff should go through without a delay. In fact, if you have a valid carry license already, you shouldn't have to do background check again at all! Government generally always does things poorly. Today was an example of this. Half the blame can go on the AFB gun-counter since they wouldn't hold the gun during the background check. Most gun-shops will hold the gun for you during the background check, but not the government run AFB gun-counter. They let some other guy whose check wasn't delayed buy my gun. LOL

So, does anybody know how I can find out why my stuff is getting delayed? I figured it was because I bought several guns last year, but the delays are getting longer each time and now it cost me a deal.
The number of guns that you previously purchased should have absolutely no bearing on the NICS check, it's a criminal investigation. I suspect that the real reason is insufficient staff to handle the volume of calls that the various State and Federal agencies are getting.

"The whole of the Bill (of Rights) is a declaration of the right of the people at large or considered as individuals.... It establishes some rights of the individual as unalienable and which consequently, no majority has a right to deprive them of." (Albert Gallatin of the New York Historical Society, October 7, 1789)

"A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined, but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government." - George Washington

Old 03-10-2012, 12:16 AM   #3

Why am I getting flagged? Other people's checks were going right through.

. Mossberg 500 12g
. Stoeger Coach 12g
RIFLES:
. Bushmaster M-4 223
. Ruger Mini-14 223
. Ruger 10/22 22LR (x2)
. Rossi 1892 Lever 357
HANDGUNS:
. Beretta 92FS 9mm (x2)
. Ruger Vaquero 357 (x2)
. Ruger LCR 357
. Ruger LCP 380
. Ruger 22/45 22LR
. Walther P22 22LR

Old 03-10-2012, 03:24 AM   #4

Liked 5 Times on 4 Posts

Could be something as simple as someone else having a similiar name and/or date of birth. If the background check results in a delay the FFL should hear back from the NICS section within three business days. If they don't, the FFL can at his/her discretion proceed with the transaction. Sounds like you should apply for a UPIN to avoid any future delays. And it sucks they wouldn't hold the firearm for ya...

Old 03-13-2012, 02:05 AM   #5

Here's the end of the story...

Found out that NICS has an appeal process to resolve "delays" so it won't keep happening. The bad news is that I have to file an application, a fingerprint card and a fee. I'm not doing all that! IMO, when they approve my check, they should automatically permanently resolve the flag rather than leave it there for next time. A relative gave me the idea to have my wife buy it if I'm at a gunshow or at a situation like this where they won't hold the gun. Good idea that is legal!

Automatic relief is coming too, because I also heard the background check responsibility will revert back to the FBI next year. They said Obama wanted to give the current organization another year to get better by themselves, but no additional funding... So it won't get better this year.

My background check had at least a 24 hour delay, but came through sometime over the weekend or today. When I stopped by the BX, they didn't have the Ruger SR1911 and couldn't say when they'd get more in, so I went with a Walther P22 for a decent $350 price (no tax). Since we're moving to CA soon, I had to put my Ruger 22/45 threaded barrel in storage, so that left me without a target pistol for the years I'd be stationed in CA. Stupid CA law makes my Ruger 22LR threaded barrel illegal which is retarded. So, the Walther P22 will probably be the first real pistol my daughter gets to fire and fills the current niche of needing a 22LR pistol plinker while in CA. It's got a rail too.

Edit: Oh, part of the grand opening was a free Ruger T-shirt if you buy a gun, until they run out. At least the delay didn't cost me that too! New gun, free Ruger shirt... Happy.

. Mossberg 500 12g
. Stoeger Coach 12g
RIFLES:
. Bushmaster M-4 223
. Ruger Mini-14 223
. Ruger 10/22 22LR (x2)
. Rossi 1892 Lever 357
HANDGUNS:
. Beretta 92FS 9mm (x2)
. Ruger Vaquero 357 (x2)
. Ruger LCR 357
. Ruger LCP 380
. Ruger 22/45 22LR
. Walther P22 22LR

Last edited by Marthor; 03-13-2012 at 02:53 AM.

Old 03-16-2012, 02:17 AM   #6

Liked 157 Times on 108 Posts
Likes Given: 119

This is an incident I went through about 5 years ago along the same lines when I purchased a Weatherby Vanguard rifle from a local Wal-Mart in my area.

Before I get pounded from the, "I'd NEVER buy a gun from Wal-Mart!", crowd, these were a special run of rifles from Weatherby in .300 Weatherby Magnum that were sold exclusively through Wal-Mart at a very good price. So if I wanted the rifle I had to purchase it from them.

In going through the purchasing process, filling out the 4473 form and all, the clerk, who didn't have much of a clue what he was doing, started to run a background check on me. I informed him that I had a valid Arizona CCW, and that a background check was not necessary. He argued and said everyone, including police have to go through it. I then told him to inform the person on the other end I had a valid CCW, which of course he did not.

The check came up "DELAYED". I asked him why he didn't inform them that I had a valid CCW? He gave me zero response. I got angry and demanded the number to the Instacheck line he just called. He reluctantly gave it to me and I left. I returned home leaving the gun along with the filled out form on the counter, and told him I'll be right back. I called the number and told the lady on the other end what had just happened. She asked me for my name and address, along with the number on my CCW, which I gave her. I could hear her typing on a keyboard in the background as I gave her the information.

She asked me which Wal-Mart I was dealing with, and I told her. She then told me to go there immediately, and assured me my rifle would be waiting for purchase when I got there. When I arrived and went straight to the gun counter, the clueless clerk, along with the sporting goods department manager, and the Store Manager were all waiting for me! All were extremely apologetic.

My guess is the Store Manager got a good, solid a$$ reaming from that woman on the phone for tying up their system with totally unnecessary background checks. This is what happens when stores, who sell guns start making up their own rules that go beyond what is actually required by Federal and state laws. Things get real screwed up, real fast. I ended up making 2 trips instead of one, and a purchase that should have taken 10 minutes tops, wound up taking the better part of an afternoon. All because of people who don't know the law, but think they in fact know better.

Old 03-16-2012, 03:16 AM   #7
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 5922 Times on 3092 Posts
Likes Given: 417

sounds odd. the way it works in wisconsin is you buy the gun fill out the form the serial number of the gun goes on the form. then they do the nics check. while waiting they cant sell the gun from under you...

to speed things up put your ss number in the appropriate box. if you have a real common name you might want to do the appeal thing.

your wife can gift you guns if you can legally buy them yourself.

a straw purchase is buying a gun for someone that cannot legally buy one for whatever reason. for example if you go visit a friend in a different state and see the perfect handgungun with a perfect deal, your friend buys it for you and gives it to you that is a straw purchase since you cannot legally buy it yourself in that state.

"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." — L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

Last edited by JonM; 03-16-2012 at 03:19 AM.

Old 03-16-2012, 03:34 AM   #8
JTJ
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2289 Times on 1239 Posts
Likes Given: 669

Walmart in Lake Havasu City AZ does not sell guns. They screwed up the paperwork so bad that Walmart had to pay a big fine and cant sell guns. This is in a town that supports 6 gun stores.

Patron Member NRA
"I would not be an old man if I had not been an armed young man." JTJ
I was taught to respect my elders but they are getting harder to find.