Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Legal and Activism > An Attempt to Educate

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-08-2011, 12:54 PM   #1
Devil's Advocate and Provocateur
FTF_MODERATOR.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 1273 Times on 668 Posts
Likes Given: 591

Thumbs up An Attempt to Educate

A recent post by Winds-of-Change in another thread regarding a Sheriff's Deputy's tazing reminded me of a recent dialogue I had with a healthcare professional, a nurse with 12 years of experience, about a tazing death that had just been in the news, a college student who had an undiagnosed heart condition and a history of fighting with law enforcement before. Of course, the media had played up Tazers as dangerous, 50,000 volt death machines forcing electricity into someone with NO IDEA what health problems exist! Because of the media blitz, many local LE departments suspended use of their Tazers, with only two chiefs having the cojones to announce they were keeping their department's Tazers in use.

I had known this nurse for a while due to an ongoing health condition, so I was able to short form the conversation, but check out how the conversation went:

Me: "So tell me, Tazers: For or against?"

Nurse: Makes an ugly face and immediately says, "I don't like the idea of pumping 50,000 volts into someone that you have no idea what health problems they may have. You can never be sure what something like that can do to a person."

Me: "A valid point. Have you ever been exposed to Tazer tactics other than what is in the media?"

Nurse: "No, we have the radio on here all day and it's usually just what comes across it."

Me: "Well, I was trained as a police officer and we were taught a principle called "Escalation of force." Basically it says I can only use one "step" of force greater than what my attacker uses against me. If he only attacks with his hands, I have to use a non-lethal weapon, like mace, or I could go to my baton if it was going badly for me."

Nurse: "Really? I never knew that..."

Me: "Well, the media is meant for entertainment, not education - remember that!"

We both laughed.

Nurse: "Okay, true, but what does that have to due with what happened to the poor college student."

Me: "The Tazer, since it's introduction, has fallen into the "step" of force right before a baton beating or firearm. When I pull a baton and start to swing, I try to strike limbs, to bring the suspect down, but in a fight, it is often hard to 'only' hit a limb, and often a face, skull or spine can be struck, permanently disabling the suspect."

Nurse: "Ouch..."

Me: "well, my other option I mentioned was my firearm. Many times an officer uses a Tazer when he could legally draw his firearm and shoot the suspect. Now, as a nurse, which is easier on the body: two lead slugs half an inch across, or a two-second shot of 50,000 volts?"

Nurse: "Well, obviously the voltage..."

Me: "And that's why the Tazer was invented - to SAVE lives! But the media has made it sound like officers use it as a 21st-century torture device, not the life-saving wonder it has been. When you think of the over 4,000 people last year that were tazed that could've been shot, it makes the four or five that died a very small percentage of failure. Of course, now public pressure has forced all the local departments to stop using the Tazer, so the number of shootings will increase, but I'm sure the media will step right up to take responsibility for that."

Nurse: "Wow, I never looked at it like that."

Me: "Well, to be fair, it's never been presented like that! But be honest with me: Has this changed your mind at all about the use of Tazers as a life-SAVING device?"

Nurse: "Oh yeah! It's obvious the media has been one-sided in how they reported it. It's too bad police quit using them...do you think they'll reinstate them any time soon?"

------------------------------------------------

This whole conversation took less than five minutes and completely slapped the media spin in the opposite direction. I used a popular event in the media to bring up the event and then my own training (Doesn't have to be LEO, can be any private, public or family training) to "educate" her on the proper use. I didn't go into a lot of detail - people hate to be bogged down and they have things to do at work - but if you can turn it into a little lesson-ette that they can remember and pass on to others then that is one more person that we have on our side and that will listen to the media with a little more careful ear! You might want to try it the next time you have a chance to chat with an acquaintance about recent events. I like to do this with clerks, cashiers, nurses - anyone that has a lot of contact with the public and may spread it like wildfire.

“Malo periculosam, libertatem quam quietam servitutem." (I prefer the tumult of liberty to the quiet of servitude.). Thomas Jefferson

"All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."

-Edmund Burke, Loosely translated from Thoughts on the Cause of Present Discontents. (1770)

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 10-08-2011, 01:04 PM   #2

Liked 2141 Times on 969 Posts
Likes Given: 2083

I guess the moral of the story should be if you don't want tazed don't fight with law enforcement. The tazees should be taking responsibility for being tazed. I'm 57 years old and never been arrested it just isn't that hard to stay out of trouble.

Old 10-08-2011, 01:18 PM   #3
Devil's Advocate and Provocateur
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 1273 Times on 668 Posts
Likes Given: 591

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjd3282 View Post
I guess the moral of the story should be if you don't want tazed don't fight with law enforcement. The tazees should be taking responsibility for being tazed. I'm 57 years old and never been arrested it just isn't that hard to stay out of trouble.
rjd, I see your in Ohio as well. The problem is, no one is being tazed because the media got the public to put pressure on and got the departments to stop using them. I imagine they will sneak them back into use (or I HOPE so) because, if for some reason I ever temporarily lost my senses and was raving on my front lawn, I would LIKE the officer to have the choice of a Tazer to lay me out instead of ventilating my chest! I agree that those tazed are responsible for their actions, the problem is getting the media to report it that way.

“Malo periculosam, libertatem quam quietam servitutem." (I prefer the tumult of liberty to the quiet of servitude.). Thomas Jefferson

"All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."

-Edmund Burke, Loosely translated from Thoughts on the Cause of Present Discontents. (1770)

Old 10-08-2011, 01:28 PM   #4
+ TRES VERBO DICTUM +
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1600 Times on 833 Posts
Likes Given: 1288

Quote:
Originally Posted by TekGreg View Post
Because of the media blitz, many local LE departments suspended use of their Tazers, with only two chiefs having the cojones to announce they were keeping their department's Tazers in use.
I would think the LEO agencies would be able to swing public opinion back in favor of the option by making an announcement to effect of, “Well, we’ll just have to go back to shooting people if we can’t use Tasers.”

Old 10-08-2011, 01:57 PM   #5

Liked 35 Times on 25 Posts
Likes Given: 36

Quote:
cant agree more sir. dont wanna get tazed? dont put yourself in a situation where it might happen. simple as that.

Remington 700P - .308
Norinco SKS - 7.62x39
Mossberg 500 - 12 ga.
Savage FV64 - .22
Marlin Model 60 - .22 PARTS FOR SALE
EAA Witness P - 9mm
AR15 - 5.56/.223

Old 10-08-2011, 03:25 PM   #6

Liked 3 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by 762 View Post
cant agree more sir. dont wanna get tazed? dont put yourself in a situation where it might happen. simple as that.
Pretty much goes to my theory of "DO WHAT THE NICE OFFICER TELLS YOU".

I was trained in the ASK, TELL, MAKE school of being a cop.

I am going to ASK you. If you do not comply, I am going to TELL you. If you still do not comply, I am going to MAKE you. That will be unpleasant (at best) for you, and I will be stuck writing a USE OF FORCE report.

Comply...it WILL be sorted out.

Old 10-08-2011, 03:33 PM   #7

Liked 47 Times on 34 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArizonaLawman View Post
Pretty much goes to my theory of "DO WHAT THE NICE OFFICER TELLS YOU".

I was trained in the ASK, TELL, MAKE school of being a cop.

I am going to ASK you. If you do not comply, I am going to TELL you. If you still do not comply, I am going to MAKE you. That will be unpleasant (at best) for you, and I will be stuck writing a USE OF FORCE report.

Comply...it WILL be sorted out.
I've had problems with a total of two cops in thirty plus years of driving.
One was just a dick, but I yes sirred him to the point he just gave up and gave me a warning.
Others were in the UP in Michigan, and their entire police force was a bunch of retards. I gave up when the Chief threatened to lock me up for 'something', after I called them all idiots in their office.
Seems not a one of them could pick up a dang phone to verify any information.
Otherwise? I've never gotten rude with a cop, never saw a reason to. You can politely state your case with law enforcement, and it does a lot better than the bleepitybleepbleepbleeping bleep!! approach a lot of people seem to use.
I even thank them for the tickets!!

Old 10-08-2011, 06:30 PM   #8
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 291 Times on 156 Posts
Likes Given: 587

It has been my experience on both sides of the badge that being an a$$ is contagious.
If I stopped you and you were polite and did as I asked it was safe and a little more pleasant for both of us. If you were an a$$ then I could be too.

When I got stopped I was always courteous and polite. Many times it got me out of the ticket or at least the officer would write me for 55 in a 45 instead of the 65 I was actually doing. LOL Of course there is always the "Dirty Harry" out there that feels that the badge and gun makes him God. Thankfully, they are few and far between.

Old 10-08-2011, 06:42 PM   #9

Liked 1063 Times on 687 Posts
Likes Given: 266

Quote:
Originally Posted by widowmaker View Post
It has been my experience on both sides of the badge that being an a$$ is contagious.
If I stopped you and you were polite and did as I asked it was safe and a little more pleasant for both of us. If you were an a$$ then I could be too.

When I got stopped I was always courteous and polite. Many times it got me out of the ticket or at least the officer would write me for 55 in a 45 instead of the 65 I was actually doing. LOL Of course there is always the "Dirty Harry" out there that feels that the badge and gun makes him God. Thankfully, they are few and far between.
The few interacions I have had with cops, over a long lifetime, have been generally positive. I ran a State Trooper off the road one day and didn't get written up for that one. I have always been polite and have gotten very few tickets because of that. I had one bad incident, where after having a hand-gun stuck in my face by an idiot, the cops treated me like crap, threatning to take me to jail cause I was highly pissed and visibly upset. I became "disorderly" when the cops returned the revolver to the perp, after he had struggled with them to give it up. It was a crazy situation. I still haven't figured out what was going on.

"It is better to be too skeptical then too credulous"

Carl Sagan

Old 10-08-2011, 06:47 PM   #10
Lifetime Supporting Member
FTF_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Liked 38 Times on 26 Posts
Likes Given: 7

Quote:
I'll call your 57 years and raise you 63.......... It's not tough at all to stay out of trouble.