Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Legal and Activism > ATF Visits

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-17-2013, 10:13 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 816 Times on 543 Posts
Likes Given: 500

Default ATF Visits

NOT including the people who hold FFLs: Have you ever been visited by the ATF? Or gotten a letter about a gun you own? Or anything like that? I work with a guy who says he has. They sent his son a letter about an AR he had, which he says is legal, but the way he explained it sounds like there is something "different" about it. He also mentioned yesterday that the ATF will visit you if you buy 4 or more guns in a 12 month period. He says the ATF came to his house one time and checked out all the guns in the house, and took one, because "papers" couldn't be produced for it. And w/o a search warrant, BTW.

All this sounds odd to me.........how easy/hard is it to prompt a visit? (When you are legal, anyway)

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 04-17-2013, 10:40 AM   #2
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 8316 Times on 3595 Posts
Likes Given: 1280

And as Paul Harvey says- "The REST of the story...."

is what you need here- and I will throw the BS flag, and call a 5 yard penalty.

CAN you get a visit from the ATF? Sure- in the investigation of a criminal matter- and yes, I have been contacted- when they were doing a trace of a gun found at a murder scene.

And they obviously have the right to inspect the licensed premises of a license holder.

Beyond that, they are like any other law enforcement officer. They cannot enter premises of a non-licensee unless invited, or on the basis of a search warrant. And there is no magic number of guns a year that triggers a visit. However, if you buying could indicate a pattern of "engaging in the business" of buying/selling, and you have no license, that can trigger a visit.

Can they walk in, demand you open a safe, take guns without your consent, and without a warrant? No.

You are not getting an accurate or complete story there.

What we have heah is.... failure to communicate.

People Like This 
Old 04-17-2013, 12:02 PM   #3

Liked 2056 Times on 827 Posts
Likes Given: 2706

I and my son have been contacted once each about a weapon that was used in a crime that we had owned and sold

Old 04-17-2013, 12:43 PM   #4

Liked 192 Times on 123 Posts
Likes Given: 36

An auctioneer who does weekly consignment auctions sold some long guns; about 2 weeks later ATF shows up at the auction house during the day, wearing all black, vests, etc. Scared the heck out of the office girls. They spent 15 minutes intimidating the owner and another hour "visiting". His license allows him to auction firearms as long as they are transferred thru a dealer, who is present at all gun sales. They insinuated that he may or may not be following the law in his transactions, but they would stop by from time to time to make sure he was. He wasn't happy and made sure they knew it.

Old 04-17-2013, 12:55 PM   #5

Liked 271 Times on 153 Posts
Likes Given: 193

Nope never. I had the FBI and the Texas Rangers show up before.

”The world is filled with violence. Because criminals carry guns, we decent law-abiding citizens should also have guns. Otherwise they will win and the decent people will lose.”
~James Earl Jones

Old 04-17-2013, 01:29 PM   #6

Liked 460 Times on 267 Posts
Likes Given: 22

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhyno13
Nope never. I had the FBI and the Texas Rangers show up before.
Story time??

Old 04-17-2013, 01:36 PM   #7

Liked 169 Times on 115 Posts
Likes Given: 20

Never because of a gun purchase/sale since the ATF was organized and I have a CWFL and a C&R lic., and bought multiple guns at a time. I was checked several years ago for a very large group of six people ammo purchase. The agent was very nice, dressed in normal street cloths, presented his ID and requested my permission to see the shipping order. After reviewing the shipping order and my explanation of the purchase he thanked me and departed. I no longer use my credit card to make large ammo purchases

US Army 1953-1977

‘‘We, the People are the rightful masters of both Congress and the courts — not to overthrow the Constitution, but to overthrow men who pervert the Constitution.’’
— Abraham Lincoln

Old 04-17-2013, 02:08 PM   #8
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1781 Times on 1166 Posts
Likes Given: 1499

Quote:
Originally Posted by clr8ter View Post
NOT including the people who hold FFLs: Have you ever been visited by the ATF? Or gotten a letter about a gun you own? Or anything like that? I work with a guy who says he has. They sent his son a letter about an AR he had, which he says is legal, but the way he explained it sounds like there is something "different" about it. He also mentioned yesterday that the ATF will visit you if you buy 4 or more guns in a 12 month period. He says the ATF came to his house one time and checked out all the guns in the house, and took one, because "papers" couldn't be produced for it. And w/o a search warrant, BTW.

All this sounds odd to me.........how easy/hard is it to prompt a visit? (When you are legal, anyway)
If that was true then I should have been visited several times in 1998 when I bought 5-6 guns in a 12 month period.

“Somebody has to speak for these people. Y'all got on this boat for different reasons, but y'all come to the same place. So now I'm asking more of you than I have before. Maybe all. Sure as I know anything, I know this—they will try again. Maybe on another world, maybe on this very ground swept clean. A year from now, ten? They'll swing back to the belief that they can make people...better. And I do not hold to that. So no more runnin'. I aim to misbehave.” Mal Reynolds Serenity/Firefly

Old 04-17-2013, 03:02 PM   #9

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 7

If you want a visit from them,purchase a dillon 1050 reloader.

Old 04-17-2013, 03:10 PM   #10

Liked 204 Times on 131 Posts
Likes Given: 164

Quote:
dillon 1050 reloader
Nice machine, but impratical for a single reloader.

Jim