Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   Legal and Activism (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f97/)
-   -   ATF Visits (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f97/atf-visits-88978/)

clr8ter 04-17-2013 11:13 AM

ATF Visits

NOT including the people who hold FFLs: Have you ever been visited by the ATF? Or gotten a letter about a gun you own? Or anything like that? I work with a guy who says he has. They sent his son a letter about an AR he had, which he says is legal, but the way he explained it sounds like there is something "different" about it. He also mentioned yesterday that the ATF will visit you if you buy 4 or more guns in a 12 month period. He says the ATF came to his house one time and checked out all the guns in the house, and took one, because "papers" couldn't be produced for it. And w/o a search warrant, BTW.

All this sounds odd to me.........how easy/hard is it to prompt a visit? (When you are legal, anyway)

c3shooter 04-17-2013 11:40 AM

And as Paul Harvey says- "The REST of the story...."

is what you need here- and I will throw the BS flag, and call a 5 yard penalty.

CAN you get a visit from the ATF? Sure- in the investigation of a criminal matter- and yes, I have been contacted- when they were doing a trace of a gun found at a murder scene.

And they obviously have the right to inspect the licensed premises of a license holder.

Beyond that, they are like any other law enforcement officer. They cannot enter premises of a non-licensee unless invited, or on the basis of a search warrant. And there is no magic number of guns a year that triggers a visit. However, if you buying could indicate a pattern of "engaging in the business" of buying/selling, and you have no license, that can trigger a visit.

Can they walk in, demand you open a safe, take guns without your consent, and without a warrant? No.

You are not getting an accurate or complete story there.

opaww 04-17-2013 01:02 PM

I and my son have been contacted once each about a weapon that was used in a crime that we had owned and sold

GTX63 04-17-2013 01:43 PM

An auctioneer who does weekly consignment auctions sold some long guns; about 2 weeks later ATF shows up at the auction house during the day, wearing all black, vests, etc. Scared the heck out of the office girls. They spent 15 minutes intimidating the owner and another hour "visiting". His license allows him to auction firearms as long as they are transferred thru a dealer, who is present at all gun sales. They insinuated that he may or may not be following the law in his transactions, but they would stop by from time to time to make sure he was. He wasn't happy and made sure they knew it.

rhyno13 04-17-2013 01:55 PM

Nope never. I had the FBI and the Texas Rangers show up before.

ShagNasty1001 04-17-2013 02:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rhyno13
Nope never. I had the FBI and the Texas Rangers show up before.

Story time??

chuckusaret 04-17-2013 02:36 PM

Never because of a gun purchase/sale since the ATF was organized and I have a CWFL and a C&R lic., and bought multiple guns at a time. I was checked several years ago for a very large group of six people ammo purchase. The agent was very nice, dressed in normal street cloths, presented his ID and requested my permission to see the shipping order. After reviewing the shipping order and my explanation of the purchase he thanked me and departed. I no longer use my credit card to make large ammo purchases:D

DFlynt 04-17-2013 03:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by clr8ter (Post 1216656)
NOT including the people who hold FFLs: Have you ever been visited by the ATF? Or gotten a letter about a gun you own? Or anything like that? I work with a guy who says he has. They sent his son a letter about an AR he had, which he says is legal, but the way he explained it sounds like there is something "different" about it. He also mentioned yesterday that the ATF will visit you if you buy 4 or more guns in a 12 month period. He says the ATF came to his house one time and checked out all the guns in the house, and took one, because "papers" couldn't be produced for it. And w/o a search warrant, BTW.

All this sounds odd to me.........how easy/hard is it to prompt a visit? (When you are legal, anyway)

If that was true then I should have been visited several times in 1998 when I bought 5-6 guns in a 12 month period.

yoteseeker 04-17-2013 04:02 PM

If you want a visit from them,purchase a dillon 1050 reloader.

bigjim 04-17-2013 04:10 PM

Quote:

dillon 1050 reloader
Nice machine, but impratical for a single reloader.

Jim