ATF Tightens Gun Control in Border States - Page 6
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Legal and Activism >

ATF Tightens Gun Control in Border States

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-13-2011, 05:04 PM   #51
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 5738 Times on 3362 Posts
Likes Given: 4877

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by orangello View Post
This should do wonders for the gun show sellers' market. The more crap they call "law", the more i prefer to buy off paper.

I'm buying a nice .22 mag rifle next week; too bad it is being shipped by boat.
Quote:
And when they start passing more criminal laws, i might become more of a criminal.

edit* by "criminal laws" i mean laws against the constitution and/or passed by criminals.
Quote:
I don't have any "registered" firearms, but i bought some of mine through FFL1's, so there is a paper trail on them.
Quote:
They could be "repurposed" as border guards to assist the guys at ICE.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dzscubie View Post
Ok,

I’ve been reading and listening to Cory2, Freefall, Therewolf and now Orangello lay a heap load of sh*t on the ATF and blame them for everything up to and including the clap, male erectile dysfunction and the weather.

And Orangello we don’t have “border guards” and ICE is probable more dysfunctional than the ATF on their job performance. Again I have a bunch of Agents in ICE that are great and dedicated guys trying to do a difficult job. Put the blame where it belongs on the politicians.

Scubie
Where did i blame the 8TeeEffers? They don't pass laws; that's who i blame for most of our problems with gun control & such.

Oh, I worked for a state agency for ten years. I left; now I work somewhere where doing a good job is more important, not just to me. I worked with some good people, some jackasses, and some less-than-brilliant people, about an even mix. The best weren't always the brightest.

I think that some border guards might be a helpful addition to the resources at ICE. They could rotate in/out and help with filing on Tuesdays and Thursdays; that agency seems pretty big on paperwork anyways.

Oh, I do think that restricting access to one of the most basic phallic symbols in American history might just have a bit to do with some cases of erectile disorder, and i have yet to see this theory disproven in the medical journals. The legislature is almost certainly the primary source of the clap in this country, not the ATF.

Old 07-13-2011, 05:09 PM   #52
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 5738 Times on 3362 Posts
Likes Given: 4877

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dzscubie View Post
My view is probably different then most as I also do a thankless job and a lot of people dislike and actually hate me for what I do.

Scubie
Dude, you gotta know that your agencies efforts are appreciated by those of us here in the South, at least. Keeping the illegals off the job lines keeps a lot of my friends working (Howard Industries, 2 buddies). So what if some losers from another country don't like your job.

Old 07-13-2011, 05:16 PM   #53

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by orangello

Dude, you gotta know that your agencies efforts are appreciated by those of us here in the South, at least. Keeping the illegals off the job lines keeps a lot of my friends working (Howard Industries, 2 buddies). So what if some losers from another country don't like your job.
Agreed, screw anyone who doesn't appreciate what scubie and his wife does, they try to keep the citizens safe. Nuff said.

Old 07-13-2011, 05:57 PM   #54

Liked 27 Times on 17 Posts

Scubie,

I know there's a lot of good field agents in ATF, just like there are a lot of good street cops. Unfortunately its the bad ones that tar the good.

To be charitable, ATF's record - particularly at policy/technical levels - isn't very good. Imrisoning someone for "illegal transfer of a machine gun" for a semi-auto malfunction that took six months and specially crafted ammunition to replicate doesn't fit my definition of "the good guys". Neither does its claims boot laces, rubber bands and paper clips are "machine guns" .

ATF is in sore need of overhaul and a good housecleaning in order to restore the morale and reputations of the good agents out there. I'm surprised more aren't supportive of it. >MW

Old 07-13-2011, 08:00 PM   #55

Liked 38 Times on 35 Posts
Likes Given: 130

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polygon View Post
... I don't see anything wrong with this beyond "baby steps." Small things over a long period of time are more effective than radical changes at once. Like boiling a frog. My other problem is that the ATF is the one that let all the guns walk across the boarder. Which I'm sure is the excuse they're using for more gun control. However, they're not subject to this law making it completely asinine. So, they're not subject to a law they are creating because of a situation they caused. Completely absurd.
I agree 100% but think the problem goes MUCH higher than the BATF. They were just the means to an end. I'm sure the Justice Dept and the AG had a hand in something this large and wouldn't be surprised if it went all the way to the White House. The ATF and their boss are simply the fall guys for a botched plan cooked up by a bunch of clueless academics who never had to deal with issues (and consequences) in the real world.

Old 07-14-2011, 12:58 AM   #56

Liked 69 Times on 54 Posts
Likes Given: 117

Quote:
Originally Posted by rachilders View Post
I agree 100% but think the problem goes MUCH higher than the BATF. They were just the means to an end. I'm sure the Justice Dept and the AG had a hand in something this large and wouldn't be surprised if it went all the way to the White House. The ATF and their boss are simply the fall guys for a botched plan cooked up by a bunch of clueless academics who never had to deal with issues (and consequences) in the real
world.
Yep.

I fully believe that it does go all the way to the top actually. I think Melson was just a patsy.

Old 07-14-2011, 01:38 AM   #57

Liked 6 Times on 5 Posts

Hey Scubie, I'm sure I have made some anti-ATF remarks somewhere here, I am enraged over this Gunwalker crap. I feel that whoever conceived of and ordered it is guilty of conspiracy to violate the import/export laws of the US and Mexico that resulted in the quite foreseeable deaths of US federal agents and many Mexican civilians. I think the people who conceived and ordered this ill-begotten plan should be handed over to the Mexican authorities for trial of said violations, and should take their lumps. I make no apologies for this position.

Old 07-14-2011, 02:39 AM   #58

Liked 40 Times on 19 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by freefall View Post
Hey Scubie, I'm sure I have made some anti-ATF remarks somewhere here, I am enraged over this Gunwalker crap. I feel that whoever conceived of and ordered it is guilty of conspiracy to violate the import/export laws of the US and Mexico that resulted in the quite foreseeable deaths of US federal agents and many Mexican civilians. I think the people who conceived and ordered this ill-begotten plan should be handed over to the Mexican authorities for trial of said violations, and should take their lumps. I make no apologies for this position.
Actually I disagree.. they should be handed over to us (Border Patrol, Customs) and let us take them on a stroll into the desert of the border...... I swear they were with us a minute ago.........

Scubie

Old 07-14-2011, 02:55 AM   #59

Liked 6 Times on 5 Posts

Personally, I would like to see Eric Holder in a Mexican prison. I know, I'm terrible, I try to fight my malevolent side but it just re-rears it's ugly head like a hydra.

Old 07-14-2011, 05:38 AM   #60

Liked 38 Times on 35 Posts
Likes Given: 130

This is a snip from a message I received from our State Rifle Association earlier this evening. It appears the situation may have been nipped in the bud. We can only hope it stops here.

"BATF, on its own, does not have the authority to expand reporting on the sale of semi-automatic rifles. The proposal was similar to multiple handgun sales reporting requirements which passed with the Brady Bill years ago. The threatened change would implement special reporting requirements for FFL dealers selling more than one semi-automatic rifle to a person within a 5 days and would effect Southwestern states that border Mexico: Texas, New Mexico, Arizona, and California. The new requirement were expected to force ATF to generate 18,000 new reports in a year, not possible without additional funds and staff. Also, no one has any idea how this newly gathered information might be used.

NRA promised a lawsuit to fight any attempt by the Obama administration to implement long gun reporting requirements by executive order.

A Republican backed amendment to the 2012 Commerce, Justice and Science appropriations bill was offered by Montana Congressman Denny Rehberg. The amendment prohibited the use of Justice Department funding to enforce this new mandate. The amendment passed 25-16.

There is also speculation that the Obama administration used the diversion of the new reporting scheme as a smoke screen to distract attention from the growing scandal centered on botched gun trafficking stings which came to light in Mexico when drug cartel gunmen were found to have thousands of semi-automatic firearms provided by the U.S. government and walked across the border to lure cartel members.

Any attempt by this administration to establish new law, either by administrative rules, executive order, or through Congress, will not be forgotten in the coming elections. "