Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   Legal and Activism (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f97/)
-   -   ATF Tightens Gun Control in Border States (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f97/atf-tightens-gun-control-border-states-45045/)

Bigcountry02 07-11-2011 11:09 PM

ATF Tightens Gun Control in Border States

Heard this on the local news, this will effect California, Arizona, New Mexico and Texas today (Monday, 11 July 2011).

To Combat Gun Trafficking, ATF Ask Dealers To Report Sales Of Semi-Automatic Rifles | TPMMuckraker

ATF Tightens Gun Control in Border States - Gun Control - Fox Nation

Amid ongoing probes of the ATF Fast and Furious scandal, the Obama administration announced Monday that they are asking gun dealers in four border states to report when they sell two or more semi-automatic weapons to an individual in a period of five business days.

The rule, enforced by the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives (ATF), is meant to slow the trafficking of weapons across the Southern border and into the hands of Mexican drug cartels.

Update from NRA:

http://www.nraila.org/News/Read/NewsReleases.aspx?ID=15313

NRA Statement on Obama Administration Decision to Require Rifle Sales Reporting

Monday, July 11, 2011

$40 billion transnational criminal enterprises don't fill out paperwork and are not deterred by paperwork violations. This is a blatant effort by the Obama administration and ATF to divert focus of Congress and the general public from their gross incompetence in the Fast and Furious scandal. This scheme will unjustly burden law-abiding retailers in border states. It will not affect drug cartels and and it won't prevent violence along our borders. ATF and the Administration lacks the statutory authority to do this and the NRA will file suit as soon as ATF sends the first demand letters.

-Chris W. Cox, executive director, NRA-ILA

Comeswithbacon 07-11-2011 11:54 PM

Why do you have the :mad: face up there?
I live in Round Rock Tx, where I-35 (a key Inerstate for trafficking) is a stones through away, so i understand why the BATFE is doing it. As long as you're a citizen of the U.S. and arnt involved in gang activity, there should'nt be a problem with buying two or more semi-autos...

Bigcountry02 07-12-2011 12:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Comeswithbacon (Post 539194)
Why do you have the :mad: face up there?
I live in Round Rock Tx, where I-35 (a key Inerstate for trafficking) is a stones through away, so i understand why the BATFE is doing it. As long as you're a citizen of the U.S. and arnt involved in gang activity, there should'nt be a problem with buying two or more semi-autos...

I choose too put the mad face on it, my choice to do so. It sign of my disapproval of what the administration is doing - this registration actions will not stop the bad guys from getting multiple weapons at one time.

Comeswithbacon 07-12-2011 12:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bigcountry02 (Post 539209)
I choose too put the mad face on it, my choice to do so. It sign of my disapproval of what the administration is doing - this registration actions will not stop the bad guys from getting multiple weapons at one time.

I agree 100%. IMO we have two things to do: 1. Shut down the border completely, and start a masive deportation of all illegals. 2. Give Mexico an ultimatum "Fix it, or we will"

Korey 07-12-2011 12:50 AM

the only thing I see that I don't agree with: It's a babies first steps and soon that baby will be running.
It's much harder to jump right into a gun ban, but if you start small and work your way up the general population will not figure your agenda out.

As for the bill it's self, I do not see it as a problem. I do nothing wrong, therefore have no reason to be paranoid of Big Brother knowing I have semi automatic rifles. I may feel this way because all my guns are registered and already known that I own them. I will continue to buy more until I am unable to purchase, and I will register them all.
edit: I also think the jack ass should work on fixing our economy and get his head out of his ass instead of cutting down on one of the largest tax revenues the USA has

Millwright 07-12-2011 12:53 AM

If'n you ain't mad, you oughter be ! Check the history of ATF's "temporary" regs sometime. But of more interest to me is "why" ?

In this computer age the FBI/ATF can - and probably does surreptitiously - "flag" multiple gun transactions by store and buyer. That this pogrom will be expanded across the lower 48 is a given.

All this new reg appears to do is put the imprimature of legality upon a further encroachment on gun owners. When examined dispassionately, the 20-K plus laws and numberless regulations imposed by multiple federal bureaucracies do nothing to inhibit/prohibit the criminal elements from obtaining arms. They do a hell of a lot to inhibit/deter honest citizens from gun purchase, however. And maybe that's the "objective". >MW

Cory2 07-12-2011 12:53 AM

... Really?

Maybe the first thing the (too many expletives) administration should do is go ahead and stop selling the guns to them them damn selves. Then they can worry about what citizens are doing.

This kind of stuff absolutely outrages me... I can't think about it right now.

Korey 07-12-2011 12:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Millwright (Post 539242)
If'n you ain't mad, you oughter be ! Check the history of ATF's "temporary" regs sometime. But of more interest to me is "why" ?

In this computer age the FBI/ATF can - and probably does surreptitiously - "flag" multiple gun transactions by store and buyer. That this pogrom will be expanded across the lower 48 is a given.

All this new reg appears to do is put the imprimature of legality upon a further encroachment on gun owners. When examined dispassionately, the 20-K plus laws and numberless regulations imposed by multiple federal bureaucracies do nothing to inhibit/prohibit the criminal elements from obtaining arms. They do a hell of a lot to inhibit/deter honest citizens from gun purchase, however. And maybe that's the "objective". >MW

being mad about something lowers your iq to a point where you can no longer make a convincing argument, Being mad about something is the worst thing you can do when trying to fight something you dislike

Bigcountry02 07-12-2011 04:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Comeswithbacon (Post 539218)
I agree 100%. IMO we have two things to do: 1. Shut down the border completely, and start a masive deportation of all illegals. 2. Give Mexico an ultimatum "Fix it, or we will"

I like was a NM State Representative said, time to Land Mine the border.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Korey (Post 539237)
the only thing I see that I don't agree with: It's a babies first steps and soon that baby will be running.
It's much harder to jump right into a gun ban, but if you start small and work your way up the general population will not figure your agenda out.

As for the bill it's self, I do not see it as a problem. I do nothing wrong, therefore have no reason to be paranoid of Big Brother knowing I have semi automatic rifles. I may feel this way because all my guns are registered and already known that I own them. I will continue to buy more until I am unable to purchase, and I will register them all.
edit: I also think the jack ass should work on fixing our economy and get his head out of his ass instead of cutting down on one of the largest tax revenues the USA has

Baby steps they are doing. I am not that old; but, look into history Germany prior to WWII when the instituted their gun ban was slow as well.

History seems to repeat itself!

Our economy is going into the crapper fast, Cisco is laying off 10,000 or 14%. If I look around, the value of the dollar is not what it is worth a year ago. I read an article that going into Dollar General with $12.00 will now buy $8.00 worth of goods.

It seems their is a dominos effect with economy on a global scale. Europe is in a hot situation and Asia as well.

Get ready for some tasty peas, no salt or butter allowed!

Spin This: Cisco To Fire 10,000 | zero hedge

Dzscubie 07-12-2011 05:01 AM

This bothers me to the point that I'm going to start buying stripped receivers two to three at a time every other pay day.

Let the ATF come buy my house, I see the conversation this way:

"come on in have a beer"

"why did I buy multipul AR receivers?"

"Because I can, any other questions?"

"Now I have to go to work on the border trying to stop those weapons you Bozos let go from all those straw purchases from going south into Mexico, so have a nice day and get the hell out of my house!".

Scubie:mad: