Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Legal and Activism > ATF says no sales to medical marijuana users

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-01-2011, 02:05 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 268 Times on 180 Posts
Likes Given: 24

Default ATF says no sales to medical marijuana users

ATF: Illegal to sell guns to medical marijuana users | Great Falls Tribune | greatfallstribune.com

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 10-01-2011, 02:19 AM   #2

Liked 1663 Times on 913 Posts
Likes Given: 2430

The BATFE is enforcing a law banning the use of an illegal substance. That law was passed by the US congress and signed by POTUS. They're supposed to do that.

Old 10-01-2011, 02:35 AM   #3

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

I came across this article the other day also. I seem find my thoughts on both sides of the fence with it.

AGREEMENT: there are some moronic people out there that can barely function while sober, now you're handing them a government manipulated drug which may contain who knows what other chemicals spliced into it. Now you've got some space cadet running around shooting at leprechauns and pink elephants.

NON-AGREEMENT: on the other hand you have people that truly need this "medication" to deal with whichever disease it has been prescribed for. This person still has as much right to defend themselves,family and home as anyone else (legally) does.

There would be some type of governing around the situation such as, annual testing to ensure safe use of a weapon while using the "medication". I can completely understand if they were to put a ban on receiving a CCW license, just not to completely deny a person with a legitimate purpose and and complete non violent, record free background.

Si vis pacem, Para Bellum.
"If you want peace, Prepare for war"

Old 10-01-2011, 02:49 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by UrbanNinja View Post
on the other hand you have people that truly need this "medication" to deal with whichever disease it has been prescribed for.
What's with the scare quotes? These patients have legitimate prescriptions from their physicians for a legitimate drug to treat a medical condition.

Quote:
There would be some type of governing around the situation such as, annual testing to ensure safe use of a weapon while using the "medication". I can completely understand if they were to put a ban on receiving a CCW license, just not to completely deny a person with a legitimate purpose and and complete non violent, record free background.
What other legitimate medications do you think ought subject a person to these restrictions? Antidepressants? Tranquilizers? Sedatives? Where does it end?

Old 10-01-2011, 03:03 AM   #5

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ttolhurst

What's with the scare quotes? These patients have legitimate prescriptions from their physicians for a legitimate drug to treat a medical condition.
I dont deny that..but can you honestly say that there isn't ones that abuse it?
Quote:
What other legitimate medications do you think ought subject a person to these restrictions? Antidepressants? Tranquilizers? Sedatives? Where does it end?
In some cases there should restrictions with these as well. Some may suffer from a stronger form of issues than others but should still have the chance to prove themselves stable or not.

Old 10-01-2011, 03:10 AM   #6

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

I am not damning or praising anyone that uses any form of medication.. simply questioning the ability to function in a life threatening situation while under the use of any medication.

Old 10-01-2011, 03:30 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by UrbanNinja View Post
I dont deny that..but can you honestly say that there isn't ones that abuse it?
Let's assume that some do. Therefore, we should infringe on the rights of the many who do not?

Quote:
In some cases there should restrictions with these as well. Some may suffer from a stronger form of issues than others but should still have the chance to prove themselves stable or not.
Perhaps you are right. But I don't think you've gone far enough. The ones we really have to worry about are those that aren't medicated. They could be running around with Zeus-knows-what kinds of unmedicated psychological conditions, *and* possessing guns. Everyone not currently under medication should undergo a psychological evaluation on a regular basis to ensure that they are stable enough to satisfy the government. Don't you agree?

</sarcasm>

Old 10-01-2011, 03:53 AM   #8

Liked 25 Times on 12 Posts

Seriously? Pink elephants and leprechauns? That's a pretty ill description of a pot smoker. It's not LSD. Reefer madness really got to some people.

I enjoy a good joint. Stepped back from the whiskey a few years after my Tour of duty and I found that pot could relax me without wounding my judgment the way the bottle did. It's better than the zombie drugs the VA hands out.

We don't ban gun sales to people who drink and you are far more likely to find a drunk person all pissed off waving a gun around than someone who just smoked a joint.

Just sounds ignorant.

Old 10-01-2011, 03:55 AM   #9

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ttolhurst

Let's assume that some do. Therefore, we should infringe on the rights of the many who do not?
Unfortunately, maybe it should happen. With the chaos going on in this world anymore, I would have no objection allowing myself to be tested for these things. Would you?

Quote:
Perhaps you are right. But I don't think you've gone far enough. The ones we really have to worry about are those that aren't medicated. They could be running around with Zeus-knows-what kinds of unmedicated psychological conditions, *and* possessing guns. Everyone not currently under medication should undergo a psychological evaluation on regular basis to ensure that they are stable enough to satisfy the government. Don't you agree?

</sarcasm>
ou? As for the ones that illegally possess any form of a life threatening weapon and is caught should be mandatory life imprisoned. Perhaps this would set an example or at the very least lower such happenings. Of course it seems far fetched and nearly impossible but that is why we have thoughts and opinions right?

Old 10-01-2011, 04:02 AM   #10

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Papa_Woody
Seriously? Pink elephants and leprechauns? That's a pretty ill description of a pot smoker. It's not LSD. Reefer madness really got to some people.

I enjoy a good joint. Stepped back from the whiskey a few years after my Tour of duty and I found that pot could relax me without wounding my judgment the way the bottle did. It's better than the zombie drugs the VA hands out.

We don't ban gun sales to people who drink and you are far more likely to find a drunk person all pissed off waving a gun around than someone who just smoked a joint.

Just sounds ignorant.
I think this was misinterpreted. Which is easy to do in text with no tone of voice behind it. I apologize for misleading.

I spent many years as a toker myself(5 years sober next month). Im not taking aim at someone that can properly function. My using of the leprechaun and elephant was more of an exaggeration. Pretty much saying that you do have people with psychological problems as well as, lets say cancer.

Once again im neither with nor against it. Im torn because I dont think they should just deny people because they smoke marijuana, but just take a deeper look into them before passing judgement.