Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Legal and Activism > ATF Gone Wild

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-21-2010, 05:29 PM   #11
FTF_MODERATOR.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 2579 Times on 1355 Posts
Likes Given: 197

ATF tried to digitize all 4473's turned over by out of business FFL's several years ago. Congress ordered them to cease and decist and destroy everything they had already done.

When the FFL calls in for the thumb up or down, all they tell ATF is long gun or handgun. They do not elaborate and ATF does not ask.

The reason for the new rules on multiple purchases is the increase in straw purchases. Apparently a lot of AR's and other SUR's are being shipped south and are turning up with the cartels.

Next will be the capture of sales information on uppers as FA lowers are being refurbished with new uppers purchased in the US and exported.

A few DB's have screwed the pooch again making life more difficult for all of us.

In life, strive to take the high road....It offers a better field of fire.
"Robo is right" Fuzzball

Old 12-21-2010, 06:35 PM   #12
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 2056 Times on 827 Posts
Likes Given: 2706

I am going to wait until it passes and go out and buy 6 or 7 long guns at the same time, just so I get a knock at my door wanting to see them.

Old 12-21-2010, 07:27 PM   #13

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonM View Post
i dont understand the big deal. they ALREADY know what guns you buy when you fill out the federal transfer papers. to get a list all they gotta do is say "ok all ffl turn in your forms" they also prolly aready record who has what when the call goes out for a go/nogo background check.

im not defending it i just dont understand why people are getting worked up over something they already record.
Jon, as an FFL I gotta tell ya, paranoia isn't gonna be your best tool on this.

First off, all the gov't knows when you buy a gun is whether it is a handgun, long gun or other (frame/receiver,pistol gripped shotgun) now, after I write in the actual gun you bought, and remove it from my A&D Book that form gets put into a book of it's own, and stacked on a pile of books full of forms.
The Dept. of Justice can call after they find a particular gun (normally at a crime scene) and have me look up when did I sell the gun & to whom. Every once in awhile the ATF beancounters will come around to make sure I have been carefully keeping records & that my inventory is correct. They have taken some of these records out of the store in the past, but it is fairly rare for them to suggest it. Even so, when the po-po comes around to your door, asking for a particular gun that you lost at a crime scene, you can always just say "I sold that last week." I don't know about where you live, but in Arizona private sale does not require either the buyer, or the seller to keep records. This is why I hafta tell people every week that :There is No gun registration in Arizona- Yet... No thanks to that bag of puss McCain
Now, if you go buy somewhere that they use the computer to do the form (like Wal-Mart) I don't know, maybe the feds can see just what you bought...

Last edited by billdeserthills; 12-21-2010 at 07:34 PM.

Old 12-21-2010, 08:44 PM   #14
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 5731 Times on 3358 Posts
Likes Given: 4877

This all makes me look forward to the next gunshow or private purchase opportunity. I prefer used firearms anyway.

Quote:
Originally Posted by robocop10mm View Post
The reason for the new rules on multiple purchases is the increase in straw purchases. Apparently a lot of AR's and other SUR's are being shipped south and are turning up with the cartels.

A few DB's have screwed the pooch again making life more difficult for all of us.
The rifles turning up with the cartels, have they been traced back to FFL's, or could they be from the Mexicant army's "losses"?

Oh, come now Robo, we shouldn't call the ATFers DB's; it should be spelled out to avoid confusion.

Dead Bears, the only good kind.

Old 12-21-2010, 09:13 PM   #15
FTF_MODERATOR.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 2579 Times on 1355 Posts
Likes Given: 197

I will go on record as saying I work with a number of ATF agents that have never given me reason to call them DB or JBT's or any other such acronym commonly thrown around. The politicos that run the outfit may be of the afformentioned ilk, however.

The average agent (in my experience) is an underpaid Federal officer doing his/her best to do a good job at their assignment. They (like many of us) have to deal with bosses that give them their marching orders. Some of those orders seem to defy logic at times.

Was that neutral enough?

In life, strive to take the high road....It offers a better field of fire.
"Robo is right" Fuzzball

Old 12-21-2010, 09:56 PM   #16
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 5731 Times on 3358 Posts
Likes Given: 4877

Thumbs up

Quote:
Was that neutral enough?
LOL! I was making fun of them. What i meant was that they could confuse "DB" to mean "dead body" and go E-snooping stormtrooper on you.

Dead Bears, the only good kind.

Old 12-22-2010, 02:32 AM   #17

Default Funny

Lets just cut to the chase and BAN private firearm ownership.......please do it now for the children, society and betterment of the world. Let's just get it ON and over with. This piece meal crap is driving me crazy. I just laugh at this shiite.....come and get them! Molon Labe....cold dead fingers, and all that shiite. Are we that stupid????? I think not.....the people are still in control and if you think any law is going to control the idiotic, redneck, patriotic 2nd ammend. loving, gun shooting, squirrel eating, deer shooting morons you are crazy. No matter what happens or what crazy dumb a$$ law is passed it doesn't matter because we (me included) are not going to the slaughter like sheep. Trust me this is a non-issue!

NRA Member
Sustaining Member Southern Poverty Law Center
"Lighten Up Francis"
Semper gero sub gero

Old 12-22-2010, 09:25 PM   #18

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
I will go on record as saying I work with a number of ATF agents that have never given me reason to call them DB or JBT's or any other such acronym commonly thrown around. The politicos that run the outfit may be of the afformentioned ilk, however.

The average agent (in my experience) is an underpaid Federal officer doing his/her best to do a good job at their assignment. They (like many of us) have to deal with bosses that give them their marching orders. Some of those orders seem to defy logic at times.

Was that neutral enough?
I think you did great,
I have met many many more cops who I thought deserved the JBT title than federal employees... Then again I haven't met more than maybe 20 feds

Old 12-23-2010, 02:58 AM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yarddawg View Post
ATF to Require Multiple Sales Reports for Long Guns | NSSF Blog

I'm surprised that this isn't getting more attention.
Why worry about it? Those boys over at F-Troop are our most bestest friends. They would never do anything that might detract from our enjoyment of our constitutional rights...