Atf audits
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Legal and Activism > Atf audits

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-16-2012, 05:09 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 72 Times on 46 Posts

Default Atf audits

My questain is related to atf audit at ffl dealers. If i have a chl and i go to my local gun store and purchase a gun, Can the atf see that at any point? I ask because i was told the atf keeps track of everything you buy.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 11-16-2012, 08:32 AM   #2
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 9363 Times on 4037 Posts
Likes Given: 1473

The ATF directly has no records of what you bought.

When you buy a gun from a dealer, you complete a form 4473. Dealer conducts a background check over the phone/ computer with the Feds or in my case, the state. They get your identifying info, and the TYPE of gun (rifle, shotgun, other). At no point does the background check system say "Bobby Jo earl is buying a Remchester model 2 in caliber .800 Wowzer, serial number 1234.

The 4473 is retained BY THE DEALER for 20 years. During an audit, they ARE checked by the ATF for proper use, and that the inventory OUT matches what is on the 4473.

The ATF is prohibited by law from creating or maintaining a master data base of gun owners, and has no funding for a mega-million $$$ task like that.

PS- Regarding what you were "told" about the ATF- I was told Oswald acted alone, artificial sweeteners were safe, and Angelina Jolie married for love. You believe that?

What we have here is... failure- to communicate.

Last edited by c3shooter; 11-16-2012 at 05:37 PM.
People Like This 
Old 11-16-2012, 03:50 PM   #3
FTF_MODERATOR.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 2944 Times on 1533 Posts
Likes Given: 262

You are concerned that the ATF will find out you have a CHL? Trust me, if they want to know they already know. The CHL is issued by a State. ATF has access to the State database. They know where you live, what you drive, who you are married to (and divorced from), your kids names and dates of birth, where you work and how much you make.

NOT THAT THEY CARE!

In life, strive to take the high road....It offers a better field of fire.
"Robo is right" Fuzzball

axxe55 Likes This 
Old 11-16-2012, 07:21 PM   #4

No i dont care that they know i have a chl or what not. My concern was that if something like martial law was declared, they wouldnt know how many guns i dont have.

Old 11-16-2012, 07:25 PM   #5

deleted deleted

Last edited by Alpha1Victor; 12-02-2012 at 04:22 AM.

Old 11-16-2012, 07:29 PM   #6
The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

Liked 21985 Times on 12396 Posts
Likes Given: 53672

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alpha1Victor View Post
No i dont care that they know i have a chl or what not. My concern was that if something like martial law was declared, they wouldnt know how many guns i dont have.
if martial law was declared, things have gone to hell rapidly! i seriously doubt they will have the luxury of time to search through hundreds of thousands of 4473 forms at gun dealers, scattered all over the country. what about face to face transactions where they are legal? i personally have well over a few hundred 4473 forms on file at various gun dealers all over the state of Texas, that i no longer own. some firearms will even have multiple 4473 forms on them if they traded or sold through a several gun dealers.

Old 11-16-2012, 07:53 PM   #7
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 9363 Times on 4037 Posts
Likes Given: 1473

It is estimated that private citizens in the US own 88.8 guns per 100 persons. With the current population of the US, that works out to ABOUT 279.5 MILLION firearms.

They do not have enough people to pick up that many guns even if they were to be surrendered without protest.

What we have here is... failure- to communicate.

People Like This