Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Legal and Activism > Assault weapon

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-04-2012, 05:20 PM   #11
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 5074 Times on 2886 Posts
Likes Given: 4238

Quote:
Originally Posted by dog2000tj View Post
It's not an assault rilfe ... it's a sport utility rifle
We all know that, but we need to educate the public.

Just let them know politety, what a true "assault rifle" really is, and they will figure out fairly quickly that your AR-15 isn't one.

"Politics is the art of the possible" Otto von Bismarck.

People Like This 
Old 08-04-2012, 07:31 PM   #12
The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

Liked 19480 Times on 11065 Posts
Likes Given: 49082

Quote:
Originally Posted by KeysKelly View Post
How true it is that most people don't now what an "Assault Weapon" really is. I didn't until joining a couple forums. 95% of my gun experience is handguns as I grew up in LA, lived in Manhattan, Miami, Hoboken and Key West. We didn't have much of a need for rifles in those areas. What America needs is more gun education and less gun control.

I could assault a person with an ink pen which would make it a weapon. Is my pen now an "Assault Weapon"?
Quote:
Originally Posted by locutus View Post
We all know that, but we need to educate the public.

Just let them know politety, what a true "assault rifle" really is, and they will figure out fairly quickly that your AR-15 isn't one.
by the definition of assault, yes i would definately consider it an assault weapon!

some people are just uninformed about the proper terminology of firearms and do need to be enlightened. politeness and humor are probably the best route to begin with. many people think that if it looks like something the military would have, makes it an assault rifle. personally i hate that term and refuse to use it myself. my AR looks very similar to what the military uses, but it's not an assault rifle. it's a semi auto rifle built on the AR platform.

Old 08-04-2012, 07:46 PM   #13

Liked 991 Times on 499 Posts
Likes Given: 2547

Quote:
Originally Posted by ineverFTF View Post
I apologize for my ignorance but what is an "assault weapon"?
There is no "Assault Rifle" type weapon. You have semi-auto...pump...bolt action, etc, but there is no real term that means assault rifle...it *really is* a pejorative.

Only when politicians get involved does it gain meaning as they write it into legal definition

But even then, their descriptions only ever describe how a gun LOOKS! not how it OPERATES. Example from the latest "assault weapon ban" proposal here in Illinois:

Quote:
(1) “Semi-automatic assault weapon” means:
A. Any of the firearms or types, replicas, or duplicates in any caliber of the firearms, known as:
i. Norinco, Mitchell, and Poly Technologies Avtomat Kalashnikovs (all models);
ii. Action Arms Israeli Military Industries UZI and Galil;
iii. Beretta AR-70 (SC-70);
iv. Colt AR-15;
v. Fabrique Nationale FN/FAL, FN/LAR, and FNC;
vi. SWD M-10, M-11, M-11/9, and M-12;
vii. Steyr AUG;
viii. INTRATEC TEC-9, TEC-DC9, and TEC-22; and
ix. Any shotgun which contains its ammunition in a revolving cylinder, such as (but not limited to) the Street Sweeper and Striker 12;
(I've tried my best to explain it here and here) im still redesigning the page...so please excuse it if the colors and design seems "off"

So in other words, you can make a bolt action rifle that LOOKS LIKE an AR15 and it is BANNED by these definitions.

Last edited by PrimePorkchop; 08-04-2012 at 07:48 PM.
axxe55 Likes This 
Old 08-04-2012, 07:54 PM   #14

PrimePorkChop, a couple of my Remington M700's look very similar to the ones the military uses for sniper rifles, so are they now assault rifles?

the media, certain politicians and the anti gun liberals want to make them appear evil and that those who own and shoot them by virtue are evil. they are preying on the uninformed and trying influence their opinions about certain types of firearms.

Zoey Likes This 
Old 08-04-2012, 08:20 PM   #15

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 6

I could assault a person with an ink pen which would make it a weapon. Is my pen now an "Assault Weapon"?[/QUOTE]

I used the same analogy when I wrote my senator and representative but I called it a "Assault Pen". Background checks will now be required at Office Max for pens! Plus a three day waiting period

Old 08-04-2012, 08:22 PM   #16

Liked 3734 Times on 1824 Posts
Likes Given: 13269

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkett39 View Post
I used the same analogy when I wrote my senator and representative but I called it a "Assault Pen". Background checks will now be required at Office Max for pens! Plus a three day waiting period
Dammit all to hell ... I can't wait three days to stab someone, I need that Bic fluidball with flex grip pen now!

Member: NRA GOA

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
Est sularas oth mithas

"either way, you were guilty by association, so you were smited...." JD

Last edited by dog2000tj; 08-04-2012 at 08:49 PM.

Old 08-04-2012, 08:29 PM   #17

Liked 991 Times on 499 Posts
Likes Given: 2547

Quote:
Originally Posted by axxe55
PrimePorkChop, a couple of my Remington M700's look very similar to the ones the military uses for sniper rifles, so are they now assault rifles?

the media, certain politicians and the anti gun liberals want to make them appear evil and that those who own and shoot them by virtue are evil. they are preying on the uninformed and trying influence their opinions about certain types of firearms.
Depends on how they want to word their definitions ... With it being screwed and open ended like in Illinois, any air rifle that fires a projectile that is "reasonably considered" to "cause bodily harm" is said to be an assault weapon and is banned

They define that as 700fps or greater ... For an air rifle ... You will go to prison for 2 to 5 years and they call it, in legal definition, am assault rifle
Zoey Likes This 
Old 08-04-2012, 09:03 PM   #18

Liked 181 Times on 102 Posts
Likes Given: 407

Quote:
Originally Posted by axxe55 View Post

It was thought up by those who struggle to categorize firearms by their looks instead of their function, with the purpose of misleading the public, and terrifying them into endorsing this attack on the 2nd Amendment....
Old 08-04-2012, 09:08 PM   #19

Liked 320 Times on 191 Posts
Likes Given: 426

You need an "assault rifle" because the government arms its agents with the same.
In order to deprive the government of the ability to have a monopoly on the use of force as was the intent of our Founders when they ratified the 2A,your supposed to have unfettered access to modern military grade small arms.

But try explaining this concept to the brainwashed moron majority.

I can't for the life of me fathom why it such a radical idea that We The People have a balance of physical power in private hands up to and perhaps even greater then that of the government.

Perhaps its as radical an idea as a government that is the servant and not the master?

"Before a standing army can rule, the people must be disarmed; as they are in almost every kingdom of Europe. the supreme power in America cannot enforce unjust laws by the sword; because the whole body of the people are armed, and constitute a force superior to any bands of regular troops that can be, on any pretense, raised in the United States."
-Noah Webster

"You assist an evil system most effectively by obeying its orders and decrees. An evil system never deserves such allegiance. Allegiance to it means partaking of the evil. A good person will resist an evil system with his or her whole soul."
-Mahatma Gandhi

http://jpfo.org/
III%
axxe55 Likes This 
Old 08-04-2012, 09:29 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by KalashnikovJosh View Post
You need an "assault rifle" because the government arms its agents with the same.
In order to deprive the government of the ability to have a monopoly on the use of force as was the intent of our Founders when they ratified the 2A,your supposed to have unfettered access to modern military grade small arms.

But try explaining this concept to the brainwashed moron majority.

I can't for the life of me fathom why it such a radical idea that We The People have a balance of physical power in private hands up to and perhaps even greater then that of the government.

Perhaps its as radical an idea as a government that is the servant and not the master?

"Before a standing army can rule, the people must be disarmed; as they are in almost every kingdom of Europe. the supreme power in America cannot enforce unjust laws by the sword; because the whole body of the people are armed, and constitute a force superior to any bands of regular troops that can be, on any pretense, raised in the United States."
-Noah Webster
Josh, i like how you think! you are much more capable with words than i am, but your viewpoint mirror mine a lot.
KalashnikovJosh Likes This