Article: Law Enforcement vs. the 2nd Amendment - Page 4
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Legal and Activism > Article: Law Enforcement vs. the 2nd Amendment

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-01-2013, 01:51 PM   #31
Troll Scout
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 1205 Times on 650 Posts
Likes Given: 736

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tackleberry1 View Post
All true but...

...no other profession can abuse the public with near impunity.

...and "bad apples" in any other job get passed over or fired.

The "broad brush" painting the LEO profession is in their hands and its not so much "broad" as it is "thin" and "blue".

Are there "honorable" officers... Sure... Until they witness misconduct or abuse and choose to look the other way.

The inconvenient truth is that we no longer have "Peace Officers"... That profession is dead. We now have "Law Enforcers" and an ounce of common sense should tell anyone that these "Enforcers" do NOT represent your "best interest".

I find it interesting the way so may gun people give a pass to this truth simply because they enjoy being in the presence of "benevolent authority".

Authorities who "share" my interest are welcome to do so as long as they recognize that their "authority" gets checked at the door... and that their badge means they have "twice" as much to prove as anyone else.

Tack
Right on Tack! These are way different times with the divide growing by the minute.

Old 10-01-2013, 01:59 PM   #32
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2530 Times on 1390 Posts
Likes Given: 4014

The vast majority of law enforcement officers are good law abiding folks: The vast majority support our Second Amendment rights. Police chiefs are political appointees who parrot the views of their politician masters.
People Like This 
Old 10-01-2013, 07:32 PM   #33
Administrator
FTF_ADMIN.png

Liked 702 Times on 388 Posts
Likes Given: 729

Quote:
Originally Posted by hawkguy View Post
i agree notdku, but law enforcement are not the only ones who deserve protection from negative blanket statements.....and it sometimes seems they are the only ones who get protection on this forum from these statements.

teachers are bashed regularly here without a word. liberals are bashed regardless of the fact our liberal minded members are generally pro 2nd amendment. (and people are constantly called "liberal" by other members who are losing a debate or dislike their expressing their 1st amendment rights) businesses are bashed for their policies which are their right to set as they please. the list goes on here i'm afraid.

anyone should be allowed to be criticized for their actions. but unfortunately, many want to lump ALL into the actions of one or a few. until their are actions to try and curb language like "the education system is crap!" or "cops are corrupt." or "stupid liberals are acting dumb again."......well, i have a hard time understanding why some professions/opinions deserve more protection than others from such statements.

i respect everyone's right to an opinion, agree or disagree....but if we protect law enforcement and military in such a manner, i would hope that others' professions and political affiliations deserve the same protection.
Report it. If it's reported we can deal with it.

Old 10-01-2013, 07:58 PM   #34
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2254 Times on 1336 Posts
Likes Given: 1191

Quote:
i agree notdku, but law enforcement are not the only ones who deserve protection from negative blanket statements.....and it sometimes seems they are the only ones who get protection on this forum from these statements.

teachers are bashed regularly here without a word. liberals are bashed regardless of the fact our liberal minded members are generally pro 2nd amendment. (and people are constantly called "liberal" by other members who are losing a debate or dislike their expressing their 1st amendment rights) businesses are bashed for their policies which are their right to set as they please. the list goes on here i'm afraid.

anyone should be allowed to be criticized for their actions. but unfortunately, many want to lump ALL into the actions of one or a few. until their are actions to try and curb language like "the education system is crap!" or "cops are corrupt." or "stupid liberals are acting dumb again."......well, i have a hard time understanding why some professions/opinions deserve more protection than others from such statements.

i respect everyone's right to an opinion, agree or disagree....but if we protect law enforcement and military in such a manner, i would hope that others' professions and political affiliations deserve the same protection.
Who needs 'protection' from words/opinions???? What is this world coming to!!!! I have been in LE for most of my live and I guess I must have much broader shoulders than some here. Feel free to say whatever you wish about me or too me!
"Sticks and stones can break my bones, but words will not hurt me"!!!

I enjoy and respect this site because it is one of the few where we can be open and honest, Thank you!

Last edited by JimRau; 10-01-2013 at 08:04 PM.
People Like This 
Old 10-01-2013, 08:08 PM   #35
Dispossessed Mechwarrior.
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Location: Southern Alabama or Northern Florida, the jury is still out.
Liked 1641 Times on 956 Posts
Likes Given: 4043

@JimRau,

Well, if I had to guess, I would say that it would be the one that you quoted. I mean, the statement seems to point back to the writer. Just my opinion here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimRau View Post
Who needs 'protection' from words/opinions???? What is this world coming to!!!! I have been in LE for most of my live and I guess I must have much broader shoulders than some here. Feel free to say whatever you wish about me or too me!

I enjoy and respect this site because it is one of the few where we can be open and honest, Thank you!
How different the new order would be if we could consult the Veteran instead of the Politician - Henry Miller
The Soldier, above all other people, prays for peace, for he must suffer and bear the deepest wounds and scars of war. - Gen. Douglas MacArthur

Old 10-01-2013, 08:17 PM   #36

Liked 3232 Times on 1621 Posts
Likes Given: 423

Quote:
Originally Posted by notdku View Post
Report it. If it's reported we can deal with it.
Before reporting, I'd add the often repeated caveat regarding membership here: Sometimes a thicker skin may be in order.
"Gosh, he said something that might be construed as negative about a group I identify with!"
"Golly how awful. He is obviously a horrible person. Please Mr. Moderator, ban him for his lack of sensitivity!"

People have said things that I have found insensitive or confrontational. I have only actually reported those trolls who I felt were going way out of their way to be deliberately A-holish. It's pretty rare. Normal give and take arguing/debate should be permitted to some extent, ESPECIALLY in the Premium Member areas. Deliberate douchiness, no. But animated discussion should be permitted.
I have had some heated exchanges with some members here since I've been here. I tend forgive and forget 10 minutes after it happened and by then I'm looking into the next item of interest. I certainly don't mean to make enemies out of anyone. I like to think that others see things the same way. If I am wrong in this regard, then please accept my apologies. I don't wake up and say to myself, "Hey I need to annoy people on FTF today," FWIW, that's what Facebook is for. IMHO, life is too short to let something some random internet guy said ruin your day, me or anyone else here.
Granted, this is all just my opinion, but if we start cracking down too hard, I might as well go back to the excruciatingly polite world of THR. (Any hint of something that could turn into a remotely controversial topic is shut down instantly.) Great place for info, but not terribly good to let your opinions of the day's events fly freely.
Police, Teachers, you all know there is a certain segment of the populace that isn't going to be swayed by your pleas to be fair and balanced. I'm a Federal Civil servant (we're all wealthy and don't do anything, IIRC), so I'm not exactly unfamiliar with the phenomenon. Let's be honest, in all these various occupations, there is no shortage of examples that give critics plenty of fodder for criticism. Like any number of other jobs, I suppose. But you don't get nearly as many plumbers or landscape architects getting all butt-hurt when someone criticizes their profession. I'm waiting for a Wal-Mart employee to come unglued on this forum, as Wal-mart gets no shortage of crap on this and many other forums. Goose...gander...good for. I can think of no profession so perfect and above reproach that should be exempt from criticism.
Skin thickening in order.
NRA Life Member

The hardest thing to explain is the glaringly evident which everybody had decided not to see. - Ayn Rand

Last edited by Overkill0084; 10-01-2013 at 08:27 PM.
People Like This 
Old 10-01-2013, 09:24 PM   #37

Liked 3242 Times on 1936 Posts
Likes Given: 2328

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimRau View Post

honestly, i agree. but i just don't understand why law enforcement/military seem to get a special protection from criticism which was kind of MY point.

what i think needs to be controlled is childish name calling and personal attacks....both are the last and sad attempt of someone who is losing an argument to try and regain control. it would be nice to interact on a forum of adults who behave as adults. and i think this is the case here with 90% of the posters 90% of the time....thus, why it is a very good forum.

ANY opinion spoken with RESPECT, i can RESPECT.....whether i agree or not.

Old 10-01-2013, 09:30 PM   #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by Overkill0084 View Post
Before reporting, I'd add the often repeated caveat regarding membership here: Sometimes a thicker skin may be in order.
"Gosh, he said something that might be construed as negative about a group I identify with!"
"Golly how awful. He is obviously a horrible person. Please Mr. Moderator, ban him for his lack of sensitivity!"

People have said things that I have found insensitive or confrontational. I have only actually reported those trolls who I felt were going way out of their way to be deliberately A-holish. It's pretty rare. Normal give and take arguing/debate should be permitted to some extent, ESPECIALLY in the Premium Member areas. Deliberate douchiness, no. But animated discussion should be permitted.
I have had some heated exchanges with some members here since I've been here. I tend forgive and forget 10 minutes after it happened and by then I'm looking into the next item of interest. I certainly don't mean to make enemies out of anyone. I like to think that others see things the same way. If I am wrong in this regard, then please accept my apologies. I don't wake up and say to myself, "Hey I need to annoy people on FTF today," FWIW, that's what Facebook is for. IMHO, life is too short to let something some random internet guy said ruin your day, me or anyone else here.
Granted, this is all just my opinion, but if we start cracking down too hard, I might as well go back to the excruciatingly polite world of THR. (Any hint of something that could turn into a remotely controversial topic is shut down instantly.) Great place for info, but not terribly good to let your opinions of the day's events fly freely.
Police, Teachers, you all know there is a certain segment of the populace that isn't going to be swayed by your pleas to be fair and balanced. I'm a Federal Civil servant (we're all wealthy and don't do anything, IIRC), so I'm not exactly unfamiliar with the phenomenon. Let's be honest, in all these various occupations, there is no shortage of examples that give critics plenty of fodder for criticism. Like any number of other jobs, I suppose. But you don't get nearly as many plumbers or landscape architects getting all butt-hurt when someone criticizes their profession. I'm waiting for a Wal-Mart employee to come unglued on this forum, as Wal-mart gets no shortage of crap on this and many other forums. Goose...gander...good for. I can think of no profession so perfect and above reproach that should be exempt from criticism.
Skin thickening in order.
i agree and i will add.....try to talk it out with the poster BEFORE you report it!!!!!!!

this has gotten it worked out for me 95% of the time. only a few true dunces here seem feel the need to name call and use personal attacks.....most posters just get a bit heated sometimes and are quick to apologize when they step over the line....

controversial opinions, good humored poking fun at people, flat out disagreeing.....this is what a debate is all about. name calling and attacking a poster have NO PLACE in ANY reasonable debate.....hell, even HS kids in debate know better....
jgoertz Likes This 
Old 10-01-2013, 09:36 PM   #39

Quote:
Originally Posted by TDS92A View Post
@JimRau,

Well, if I had to guess, I would say that it would be the one that you quoted. I mean, the statement seems to point back to the writer. Just my opinion here.
seriously? have you ever been on a forum with little or no moderation? they turn into name calling matches by trolls who act like 13 year olds.....i've been on those forums.....i left them for this one.....a forum that expects adults to act as such....

insults, name calling? about as childish as it gets....do you disagree?

i will continue to prefer adult debates on adult subjects....what childish banter?....you should visit the man cave.....(i do )

Old 10-01-2013, 09:37 PM   #40
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 5738 Times on 3362 Posts
Likes Given: 4877

Quote:

And about those Texas people!
Just kidding, I like Texas people; they are funny, sometimes on purpose.
People Like This 
Closed Thread