Article: Law Enforcement vs. the 2nd Amendment - Page 21
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Legal and Activism > Article: Law Enforcement vs. the 2nd Amendment

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-08-2013, 02:44 AM   #201
FTF_MODERATOR.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 2996 Times on 1561 Posts
Likes Given: 279

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeltaF View Post
Every cop runs traffic different, some hardly ever write tickets, some write a lot of tickets and don't give many people a break at all. But we all usually ask the same basic questions to give you an opportunity to give us an understanding as to why you committed an illegal act in the first place. Which is good for you.

Those basic questions give you an opportunity to get out of a ticket. For example if you are leaving from your house to go to the hospital because your mom got hurt, I'm probably giving you your stuff back and waving goodbye. If your stressed and I don't ask those questions, you might not think to give me that information.

This is the most likely thing a polite conversation will get you. No ticket. When I used to run traffic a lot, I advised people of their violations more than anything else and let them go. A lot of people have no idea that something is wrong with their vehicle like a tail light until they actually get stopped for it. If I got a polite explanation and a promise to fix it or start paying attention, that was good enough for me unless someone was doing something totally reckless.

Occasionally somebody would exhibit suspicious behavior during a conversation because they have warrants, or something illegal in the vehicle. But that was rare. Maybe 1 traffic stop out of 20 in a nice neighborhood. 1 out of 10 in a bad neighborhood.

And some guys are only listening to your explanations to try and spot suspicious behavior and are pretty much going to write you anyway. But most of the ones I work with are willing to listen to reason and are also bored and willing to talk when they make a traffic stop.

One of my buddies never wrote somebody a ticket if they made him laugh. I don't think it was even a conscious decision on his part. It's just how he was. Another actually pulled his own grandmother over. He let her off with a warning.... We claimed it was the only warning he'd ever issued in his entire career. And honestly it might have been. We have still never let him live that down to this day.

The point is, every cop may be different, but a cop willing to listen is also a cop who hasn't written the ticket yet. And that's always a good thing for your pocketbook and insurance.
Your agency must have video in EVERY vehicle. According to Federal Law, if you do not have video in EVERY vehicle you must document every stop. We have video in EVERY MARKED CAR, but not the Detective's unmarked's. Every stop requires paperwork

In life, strive to take the high road....It offers a better field of fire.
"Robo is right" Fuzzball

Old 10-08-2013, 03:44 AM   #202
Lifetime Supporting Member
FTF_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 8842 Times on 5118 Posts
Likes Given: 11546

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcilten View Post
Not to mention the millions spent on incarceration! There are plenty of inmates housed in the Federal Prisons, like the one I work at, that are there for Marijuana offenses; be it trafficking, growing, selling, etc. Just like you said if it were decriminalized, or legalized, we would save so many millions of tax dollars.
One in six people in prison today are there for marijuana violations. One in six!

We could immediately reduce our prison population in one fell swoop by simply re-evaluating those cases.

Shoot me an email at vikingdad995@gmail.com

Quote:
"Among the many misdeeds of British rule in India, history will look upon the Act depriving a whole nation of arms as the blackest."
- Mohandas Gandhi, an Autobiography, page 446.
orangello Likes This 
Old 10-08-2013, 04:12 AM   #203
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 195 Times on 122 Posts
Likes Given: 35

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vikingdad

One in six people in prison today are there for marijuana violations. One in six!

We could immediately reduce our prison population in one fell swoop by simply re-evaluating those cases.
Seriously. Ditch the ones who don't have violent criminal histories.

While youre at it, just make weed legal and take away a factor that breeds the violence.
Old 10-08-2013, 04:21 AM   #204

Liked 195 Times on 122 Posts
Likes Given: 35

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vikingdad

Seriously. Ditch the ones who don't have violent criminal histories.

While youre at it, just make weed legal and take away a factor that breeds the violence.

Old 10-08-2013, 04:34 AM   #205
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 6018 Times on 3152 Posts
Likes Given: 431

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimRau View Post
10mm, you are exactly correct about the minor traffic violations being good for contacts. MOST, probably 90%, of those I have ever contacted left after they THANKED me for pointing out the violation. But about 2% became 'customers' of mine and ended up 'cuffed and stuffed'. Those who don't like the fact that they were contacte, approx 8%, have the attitude some on this site do, that the cops have no business 'bothering' them. It is called a 'bad' attitude toward the police but it is human nature. Some people just think they are 'better' than the rest of us, especially better than the police officers who 'bothered' them!!!
it comes down to most folks "manning up" to what they did wrong and accepting the consequences. most police civilian encounters are pretty much routine its that small percent that keeps one on the toes. that was my experience in le.

there is always a minority who think they dont deserve getting the consequences of bad actions.

police dont go looking for people to harrass who were doing nuttin'. it just doesnt happen.

"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." — L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

locutus Likes This 
Old 10-08-2013, 04:38 AM   #206
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2441 Times on 1340 Posts
Likes Given: 335

Quote:
Originally Posted by robocop10mm
Your agency must have video in EVERY vehicle. According to Federal Law, if you do not have video in EVERY vehicle you must document every stop. We have video in EVERY MARKED CAR, but not the Detective's unmarked's. Every stop requires paperwork
No, we don't have cameras in every unit and we've never documented every stop. I don't know of any agency anywhere around here that actually does. We just usually ask the same questions on every stop. Then again most guys come from the same regional academy with the same instructors out here. But even other states when I've been stopped its usually the same questions I ask.

"...it is ...ALIVE!!!"

Old 10-08-2013, 04:51 AM   #207
disappointed & disgusted, But DETERMINED...
FTF_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Liked 3371 Times on 2282 Posts
Likes Given: 710

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeltaF

No, we don't have cameras in every unit and we've never documented every stop. I don't know of any agency anywhere around here that actually does. We just usually ask the same questions on every stop. Then again most guys come from the same regional academy with the same instructors out here. But even other states when I've been stopped its usually the same questions I ask.
Here the State does, and most of the "Big" agencies(county or large Towns/Cities) do. The Local PD next town over where some of my friends work Do NOT,..but many Get their own anyway, out of their own pocket. The PD wants It but The Town Council & the Mayor there won't budge. My town with 6 Full Time & 2 Part Timers, The New Chief went out and bought them out of his own pocket, as did the other town "up the Mtn. where my Pal, our HOA Bd, Pres. works as a SGT.....
I saw one In a catalog that sends Video through Either Bluetooth or Wifi to a Cell Phone or GPS...

"The difference between a successful person and others is not a lack of strength, not a lack of knowledge, but rather in a lack of will." Vince Lombardi

"No One, and I MEAN NO ONE Craps on me and Gets away with it!!! Those days are gone...

Old 10-08-2013, 05:34 AM   #208
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2441 Times on 1340 Posts
Likes Given: 335

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrFootball
Here the State does, and most of the "Big" agencies(county or large Towns/Cities) do. The Local PD next town over where some of my friends work Do NOT,..but many Get their own anyway, out of their own pocket. The PD wants It but The Town Council & the Mayor there won't budge. My town with 6 Full Time & 2 Part Timers, The New Chief went out and bought them out of his own pocket, as did the other town "up the Mtn. where my Pal, our HOA Bd, Pres. works as a SGT..... I saw one In a catalog that sends Video through Either Bluetooth or Wifi to a Cell Phone or GPS...
One of the agencies I used to work for started putting them in all the units along with GPS trackers right about when I moved on. The administration ended up using them to spy on the guys at home and at work and micromanage things that they should have just left alone.

The stupid camera came on every time we hit the lightbar and we had to write a mini report for the video clip. And it recorded for 1 minute prior to the event somehow, so if you were talking about something stupid before you made the stop it went to court with you. I hated it with a fiery flaming passion for the short time I was exposed to it, since when I'm riding by myself I tend to keep a running commentary and talk to other drivers and people around me. Mostly to keep myself awake and focused on what's going on. Also because I crack myself up sometimes. I can be very juvenile.

It did save one of my friends in a lawsuit once. Genius piece of trash claimed she went to jail on a warrant issued for a ticket he wrote that wasn't her because she didn't live at the address on the ticket. Had audio and video recording of him reading her address and other information on her license out to her and her confirming it. And acting like a regular douche on camera. Obviously the cameras aren't all bad. Just my first experience with them.

"...it is ...ALIVE!!!"

Last edited by DeltaF; 10-08-2013 at 05:44 AM.

Old 10-08-2013, 12:39 PM   #209
Big TOW
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 6946 Times on 3492 Posts
Likes Given: 7550

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonM View Post
it comes down to most folks "manning up" to what they did wrong and accepting the consequences. most police civilian encounters are pretty much routine its that small percent that keeps one on the toes. that was my experience in le.

there is always a minority who think they dont deserve getting the consequences of bad actions.

police dont go looking for people to harrass who were doing nuttin'. it just doesnt happen.
Your correct to a point, that point varies according to your view of the subject. Ive watched Wealthy Citizens, Presidents, Congresspeople and Senators walk away from perjury and other criminal activities unscathed for way too long.

Those are real crimes and they get special dispensation for their special situations. Me on the other hand have kept my license 100% clean for well over 20 years and never been in trouble with the law my entire life, yet I get a ticket because I actually forgot to put my seatbelt on! Thats a doozy, one I will now pay for for the next 5 years to an insurance company after Ive paid my debt to society by paying a healthy fine.

Ive stepped out of my safe zone more than once in the last many years to help a LEO in need. I recently spent 3 hours directing traffic one night in the rain on the highway in front of my house after a MVA when they sent only one officer to secure the entire scene. Think Im gonna do that again any time soon? Probably not, not when I can expect no such reciprocity on behalf of our public servants if Im in a pinch.

Sorry, I know that sounds bitter, Im not anti LEO but it sure feels like some of them that are "Just doing their Jobs Sir" do the rest no favors when they forget were human like they are and make "harmless" mistakes on occasions.

To my friends that are LEO's, I ask that they try to keep their eye on the real ball! I know 10,000 laws certainly can certainly challenge your ability to be effective but try to remember that most of us really care about those crimes that cause us all to become victims, not just the ones that create safe revenue.
Old 10-08-2013, 04:17 PM   #210

Liked 573 Times on 324 Posts
Likes Given: 722

Quote:
Originally Posted by orangello
^^^ First thing I do when getting pulled over is to lower all windows and turn on interior lights; I don't want to get tazed for scratching at a bad time. I also like to have that ID & insurance up in my hand to focus attention on it.
Probably a good idea.

I do similar - left hand hangs out the window, right hand is on the steering wheel at 12:00.

~ Holsters ~

Never forget these important words:
We the People...
America, take back your country!

Closed Thread