Article: Law Enforcement vs. the 2nd Amendment - Page 20
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Legal and Activism >

Article: Law Enforcement vs. the 2nd Amendment

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-07-2013, 10:17 AM   #191
Big TOW
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 8231 Times on 4240 Posts
Likes Given: 9476

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tackleberry1 View Post
Sorry about that Web... But it's a good example of the shift from community policing to revenue generation.

The majority of the traffic code, including seatbelt laws, exist to give an officer probable cause to stop you. His true agenda is drugs... The primary reason for the contact is to check for drugs.

Ticketing you for the seatbelt simply conceals the true motive of an illegal violation of your 4th Amendment rights.... And raises revenue by stealing your money when you've harmed no one.

The fact that you weren't pulled out, searched, ect simply means the officer, upon speaking with you and smelling your cars interior, could tell he would not score a collar with you.
All he got was a whiff of Mcd's bags and cig smoke! I think I missed my op to not get a ticket when he asked me if I knew why I got pulled over, I said, "Im not Sure", I wasnt sure, it was raining and I had my lights on, I figured one might have been out, I honestly didnt think he saw me put my belt on before he pulled me over, he was at least 200' from me when we passed, he had great eyesight!).

Heres what bothers me, his first q was where are you coming from (My daughters house about 1/8 mile from where he stopped me), The next was where are you going (Home to Spackle). It was Sunday Morning about 10:00. Really, WTF business is it of his where Im going or where Ive been? That just seemed odd to me.

As far as the Gov mandating seat belts FOOG, thats BS also (Unless your under 18). Honestly, I wear mine fairly religiously, it just seems ridiculous that I would get a ticket for not wearing one when nothing of any magnitude happened other than him getting another one to report at the end of the shift.

Must have been a trap day, in a 20 mile stretch, I say 10 LEO' Cars where I would likely have only seen 1 or 2 normally.

Last edited by WebleyFosbery38; 10-07-2013 at 10:22 AM.

Old 10-07-2013, 03:29 PM   #192

Liked 576 Times on 325 Posts
Likes Given: 722

Quote:
Originally Posted by WebleyFosbery38
I think I missed my op to not get a ticket when he asked me if I knew why I got pulled over, I said, "Im not Sure", I wasnt sure, it was raining and I had my lights on, I figured one might have been out, I honestly didnt think he saw me put my belt on before he pulled me over, he was at least 200' from me when we passed, he had great eyesight!).
What do they really expect when they ask "Do you know why I pulled you over?". All one could do is rattle of all the reasons they have ever had a ticket or been pulled over in the past.

I was pulled over for having too much tint on my drivers side and passenger side windows of my truck. They arent limo tint but match the rear sides and rear window itself.

I was asked the same question - "Do you know...". I guessed speeding but I wasn't by more than 1-3 mph over. It was a 30 mph zone.

He was nice and went to his vehicle and pulled out a light sensing bar - looked like a large square C-clamp and slid it over my window. I was in violation. He told me they usually dont carry the gauge as they are very expensive and wrote me anyway. He told me I was nice about it too...didnt help. Still cost me $93.00.

Maybe when they ask the question they hope you will tell them all the violations you know you are guilty of and make their job easier

~ Holsters ~

Never forget these important words:
We the People...
America, take back your country!

Old 10-07-2013, 03:32 PM   #193
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1280 Times on 738 Posts
Likes Given: 1937

Quote:
Originally Posted by wittmeba View Post
What do they really expect when they ask "Do you know why I pulled you over?". All one could do is rattle of all the reasons they have ever had a ticket or been pulled over in the past.

I was pulled over for having too much tint on my drivers side and passenger side windows of my truck. They arent limo tint but match the rear sides and rear window itself.

I was asked the same question - "Do you know...". I guessed speeding but I wasn't by more than 1-3 mph over. It was a 30 mph zone.

He was nice and went to his vehicle and pulled out a light sensing bar - looked like a large square C-clamp and slid it over my window. I was in violation. He told me they usually dont carry the gauge as they are very expensive and wrote me anyway. He told me I was nice about it too...didnt help. Still cost me $93.00.

Maybe when they ask the question they hope you will tell them all the violations you know you are guilty of and make their job easier
Did you have to replace the windows?

Old 10-07-2013, 04:04 PM   #194
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2452 Times on 1342 Posts
Likes Given: 336

Every cop runs traffic different, some hardly ever write tickets, some write a lot of tickets and don't give many people a break at all. But we all usually ask the same basic questions to give you an opportunity to give us an understanding as to why you committed an illegal act in the first place. Which is good for you.

Those basic questions give you an opportunity to get out of a ticket. For example if you are leaving from your house to go to the hospital because your mom got hurt, I'm probably giving you your stuff back and waving goodbye. If your stressed and I don't ask those questions, you might not think to give me that information.

This is the most likely thing a polite conversation will get you. No ticket. When I used to run traffic a lot, I advised people of their violations more than anything else and let them go. A lot of people have no idea that something is wrong with their vehicle like a tail light until they actually get stopped for it. If I got a polite explanation and a promise to fix it or start paying attention, that was good enough for me unless someone was doing something totally reckless.

Occasionally somebody would exhibit suspicious behavior during a conversation because they have warrants, or something illegal in the vehicle. But that was rare. Maybe 1 traffic stop out of 20 in a nice neighborhood. 1 out of 10 in a bad neighborhood.

And some guys are only listening to your explanations to try and spot suspicious behavior and are pretty much going to write you anyway. But most of the ones I work with are willing to listen to reason and are also bored and willing to talk when they make a traffic stop.

One of my buddies never wrote somebody a ticket if they made him laugh. I don't think it was even a conscious decision on his part. It's just how he was. Another actually pulled his own grandmother over. He let her off with a warning.... We claimed it was the only warning he'd ever issued in his entire career. And honestly it might have been. We have still never let him live that down to this day.

The point is, every cop may be different, but a cop willing to listen is also a cop who hasn't written the ticket yet. And that's always a good thing for your pocketbook and insurance.

Last edited by DeltaF; 10-07-2013 at 04:10 PM.
AIKIJUTSU Likes This 
Old 10-07-2013, 07:56 PM   #195
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 990 Times on 653 Posts
Likes Given: 1274

Quote:
Let me blow a breathalyzer so I can be on my way.
John the only thing I would add to your thoughts., Is.. I wouldn't want a roadside portable breathalyzer test ; at one time the were horribly inaccurate. I'd ask to be tested at the Station or County Jail's dedicated station.... Depending on your State doing the Dog and Pony sobriety tricks can be denied. It may cost you a years suspended DL...

Viking you are spot on about the grind, a Cops focus is to get details, and it's perfectly legal for them to create a rouse (lie) to get it. In todays LEO world the policeman is not your friend. As use to be the feeling back in the day. I'm retired from the job,
as I was very good at it... But I would never give up my rights to any investigation be it casual, traffic or whatever. AND I never BROKE out my badge looking for preferred treatment. Until it was discovered I was active or off duty.

I've also taught my kids to be responsible law abiding citizens (Happy Healthy Self-Sufficient) But I also trained them as juveniles being question by the police or authority of any kind to Say I want my father now (or mom) bow their head (break eye contact) and say not another word. Just for the exact reasons (and then some) you spoke of.

Become steel or get cut.
Vikingdad Likes This 
Old 10-07-2013, 07:59 PM   #196
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 990 Times on 653 Posts
Likes Given: 1274

Quote:
What do they really expect when they ask "Do you know why I pulled you over?".
Their looking for SELF ADMITION of wrong doing. It strengthens their case and course of action

Become steel or get cut.
Vikingdad Likes This 
Old 10-07-2013, 09:19 PM   #197

Liked 576 Times on 325 Posts
Likes Given: 722

Quote:
Originally Posted by AIKIJUTSU
Did you have to replace the windows?
No. He told me I could visit the doctor and get an excuse indicating my eyes are susceptible to light, or just pay the fine and hope Im not caught again or scrape them off and go before a judge - attempting to get away without a fine. My sons are closer to these things than I am (they are 42 and 38) and they said just pay and move on.

It is a mechanical not moving violation. Its been about 4 years now so Im not too worried. It was about 2 years from when I had them tinted til the ticket.

As I indicated they wont write you unless they have the gauge and they almost never have one. Too much money. He said he just happened to be carrying one on that day.

Moral of the story - If you have over-tint and see a cop - roll down your windows - even if its snowing

~ Holsters ~

Never forget these important words:
We the People...
America, take back your country!

Last edited by wittmeba; 10-07-2013 at 09:23 PM.

Old 10-07-2013, 09:29 PM   #198
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 5738 Times on 3362 Posts
Likes Given: 4877

^^^ First thing I do when getting pulled over is to lower all windows and turn on interior lights; I don't want to get tazed for scratching at a bad time. I also like to have that ID & insurance up in my hand to focus attention on it.

Old 10-08-2013, 01:22 AM   #199

Liked 4797 Times on 2683 Posts
Likes Given: 1736

http://www.examiner.com/article/teachers-union-vice-president-supporters-of-gun-rights-going-to-hell

Old 10-08-2013, 01:30 AM   #200

Liked 4797 Times on 2683 Posts
Likes Given: 1736

I have never read where the Vice President of the NRA said the teachers should be condemned to eternal torture. The Liberals level personal attacks to close discourse. This is a very common example.

Closed Thread