Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Legal and Activism > Article "Have Gun-Must Flaunt It?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-02-2010, 05:33 PM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 3704 Times on 1826 Posts
Likes Given: 1005

Quote:
Originally Posted by willshoum View Post
Morning People. How many of you followed the news on what happened in New Orleans after Hurricane Katrina. Not only did some of NOPD's Finest Loot the Guns From all the Gun Stores, Then Take Vehicles From Dealerships. Then left the State. The NOPD then started taking all the guns from Private Citizens. It Didn't make rats azz wether you had a permit or not. They even beat up an old lady that had a shot gun and was protecting what she had left from the flood. To this date I don't think any guns were returned to their owners. This is what is Going to happen WTSHTF. When it Does, The Fun is gonna start, They will have to kill me before I give them whats mine. They can take all the lead they can carry! God Bless, Be Safe,Have a nice day!
This is true. NRA has been working since Katrina to secure redress for those disarmed and working to pass legislation limiting "emergency powers" to ban the confiscation of firearms durring such an event, exactly when the public needs them most.

While I respect LEO's, I do agree with your "lead first" position on this topic. I just hope it does not come to this and support NRA efforts to change the laws so hopefully, it can not happen again.

TACK

Old 05-02-2010, 05:39 PM   #12

PA is an open carry state. It is very rare to see some one carrying. I think most people don’t even know that open carry is legal in PA. The exception is at TEA party events. I bought a holster for either a 1911 or 92FS. It is a pain wearing one of theses pistols, they are heavy. I have trouble keeping my paints up wearing one. It is easy just to put a 380 in my pocket.

Death By Gun Control The Mother of All Stats
In the 20th Century, at least 170,000,000 people were murdered by their own governments -- more killed than by crime – more than killed by war.
http://jpfo.org/index.htm

Old 05-02-2010, 06:00 PM   #13

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

If SHTF happens then it will be a bloodbath for the jackboots. They won't understand whats going on for a week or two then the military will go ape**** and begin actual Soviet/Nazi tactics. The French Underground will have a brother in the American people. It won't be pretty.

I want to be a ball turret gunner.

Old 05-03-2010, 02:01 PM   #14

Liked 28 Times on 22 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by willshoum View Post
Morning People. How many of you followed the news on what happened in New Orleans after Hurricane Katrina. Not only did some of NOPD's Finest Loot the Guns From all the Gun Stores, Then Take Vehicles From Dealerships. Then left the State. The NOPD then started taking all the guns from Private Citizens. It Didn't make rats azz wether you had a permit or not. They even beat up an old lady that had a shot gun and was protecting what she had left from the flood. To this date I don't think any guns were returned to their owners. This is what is Going to happen WTSHTF. When it Does, The Fun is gonna start, They will have to kill me before I give them whats mine. They can take all the lead they can carry! God Bless, Be Safe,Have a nice day!
From a coworker, he knew some people in New Orleans that had their weapons confiscated. These folks did get their weapons returned to them but in horrible condition. It seems the weapons were just tossed into a ConEx container and left to rust.

As for open carry, Nevada is a "can carry" state which means we have no laws against open carry. I OC quite often and the only eyeballs I get are from the tourists, mostly those from the People's Republik of Kalifornia. I've recounted this story before but while OC at a Mickey D's, a Metro motorcycle officer came in. While waiting for our food, we had a discussion on the pros and cons of Sigs (mine) and Glocks (his).

Old 05-04-2010, 07:39 AM   #15

I never open carry, but I do see their point. Knowing there are guns around does reduce crime, Dug up this old article:

25 years murder-free in 'Gun Town USA'

That fun fact is almost as fun to pull out on Anti-gun advocates as Freud's Quote:

"A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity."
in his General Introduction to Psychoanalysis (1952)

Can't remember which forum member I grabbed that little gem from, but I thank him!

Old 05-04-2010, 01:45 PM   #16

While I have to agree that it is my right to carry either open or concealed is mine, I do not feel that it is to my advantage either strategically or politically.
In these highly volatile times of pro vs anti gunners it is to our advantage to not rock the boat so to speak.
We may win a battle or two, but as more and more business put out signs baning guns on their properties, legally I might add, it will hurt us all, as a mom out with her kids at "Micky D's" is offended by "joe show my guns", who would not have cared one way or the other before, now becomes an anti-gunner, we will all suffer. Businesses will sway to the side of not offending the moms because the dollar is more important and that is a fact.
We must not let our emotions, but our intelligence rule.

Old 06-11-2010, 01:36 PM   #17

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tackleberry1 View Post
I've been carrying concealed for 15 yrs and can't imagine why anyone in there right mind would choose to advertise the fact that they were armed?...TACK
I agree 100% but in the absence of a CCP you must choose between 'advertising' or going unprotected. Not everyone can get a permit. It's very hard here in Delaware.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bkt View Post
A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms shall not be infringed.

I don't see anything about concealed or open carry in that. It's your choice how you want to carry.
This is really the heart of the matter. The 2A does NOT say you have the right to bear arms BUT you have to open carry so everyone can see you are armed. From a legal point of view I can't understand how these laws that water down the 2A can stand. The courts don't allow 1A free speech rights to be watered down in this fashion. Why do they allow it for 2A rights?

In my state, more criminals carry concealed than to do law-abiding citizens. Last month, someone got shot on the streets of Wilmington every day for 9 consecutive days! All criminals. All carrying concealed.

But if I want to carry a gun, I have to open carry.

As I get older (and wiser), I leaning toward the idea that any law-abiding citizen should be allowed to CC if they desire. Why should criminals have the advantage?

The way I see it, if more people were carrying you would never have an incident like Fort Hood where one nut kills 12 and injures 30. If more people carried, someone would have dropped him after 1 or 2.

Just my opinion.

Old 06-11-2010, 03:32 PM   #18

Liked 1616 Times on 944 Posts
Likes Given: 1894

I don't see what the big deal it. It's part of that right many of us spend a lot of time talking about. If you don't want to then don't. If you do great. I'll bet that about 90% of criminals carry theirs concealed. Tactical advantage I guess to a point. But most all LEO keep it where it can be both seen and readily available.I'd say old Spanky the bad guy would keep it in his pants though if he seen a half dozen people with prime examples of the genius of JMB on their hip.

The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants.
Thomas Jefferson

Old 06-11-2010, 04:06 PM   #19
bkt

Liked 1302 Times on 661 Posts
Likes Given: 151

Quote:
Originally Posted by RTMiller View Post
This is really the heart of the matter. The 2A does NOT say you have the right to bear arms BUT you have to open carry so everyone can see you are armed. From a legal point of view I can't understand how these laws that water down the 2A can stand. The courts don't allow 1A free speech rights to be watered down in this fashion. Why do they allow it for 2A rights?
Since the Bill of Rights originally pertained only to the Federal government and not state governments, and since 2A has not been incorporated against the states, state governments may limit 2A including how or whether carrying is allowed.

1A has been incorporated against the state (and thus lower) governments.

The trick is to get 2A unequivocally incorporated the same way 1A is.

Old 06-11-2010, 06:06 PM   #20

I believe in both Open & Concealed carry.

Unfortunately our culture in the US is quickly devolving into Europe's Nanny State mentality.

"True Happiness is a warm .357,.45 ACP,.38 Special,.410 or a 12 gauge & a cold Sun Drop." ME

"Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety. "
(Benjamin Franklin)

'God made man and woman; Colonel Colt made them equal'." (Ann Coulter)

" Praise The Lord but Polly pass the Ammo"( Unknown)

"The 1st one through the door gets the copper coated candy." ( Andy the gunshop owner from "Dawn of the Dead")