Article "Have Gun-Must Flaunt It?
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Legal and Activism > Article "Have Gun-Must Flaunt It?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-02-2010, 12:22 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 109 Times on 46 Posts
Likes Given: 6

Default Article "Have Gun-Must Flaunt It?

This was an article in the Wall Street Journal. 4-30-10

I know this subject has been beaten to death but articles like this only tend to flame the fires of the liberals and those who fear guns. Just wait until the majority of businesses post "no guns allowed" signs and see where we all end up. And to be honest, I wouldn't blame them a bit.

Para-phrasing Mr. David Stoner, " I believe that it be mandated that every male over 18 years of age own at least 5 semi-automatic handguns with hi capacity mags, and 2 assault type rifles, and if anyone refuses they must wear a pink sundress while away from their property. But, no one carrying a gun, should wear it visible to the public."

Have Gun, Must Flaunt It?

By NANCY DEWOLF SMITH

Like a fly on a birthday cake, the subject of open carry—legally wearing a gun in public—keeps landing in the news and nobody can swat it down. Those who would like to be rid of it range from some of the most ardent gun-controllers to some of the fiercest believers in the Second Amendment right to bear arms. Many of the latter live in the 43 states where it already is legal to openly wear a handgun (although rules vary about whether it can be loaded, etc.). That the majority of people who could walk around outfitted for the OK Corral choose not to do so ought to be a hint that the minority who are most eager to force open carry on the rest of us might belong in a special category of bozos.

Consider the case of James Goldberg, who walked up to the counter of a Glastonbury, Conn. Chili's restaurant in 2007 costumed in camouflage and wearing a pistol. Police were called and Mr. Goldberg was arrested, only to be cleared after it was determined that since he had a permit for the weapon he was not breaking a law.

While news reports in 2007 described Mr. Goldberg as the night manager at a liquor store, he told the Hartford Courant this month that he is a "trained firearms instructor, sells guns at a Newington gun retailer and runs a business that provides security for business executives and entertainment industry celebrities." Whatever else Mr. Goldberg is, he's a thoroughly modern Millie. Back in the day, authentic cowboys didn't sue when the going got tough, especially not for "emotional distress."

Equally unimpressive were the armed types who gathered in a Virginia Park this month to demonstrate support for open carry and their opposition to government in general and the Obama administration in particular. Like the characters who now make a practice of wearing handguns into Starbucks and other places of business, such demonstrators may yet turn out to be a godsend for the antigun crowd.

The latter can be so annoying that at some demented level it is possible to imagine the appeal of strolling the aisles at, say, a Whole Foods store, squeezing free-range chicken and bagging edamame with a Hammerli 208S target pistol on display. Yet a firearms dealer suggested to me this week that if open carrying were to become more common, even those of us who are uneasy now in the presence of public firearms would get used to seeing them around. After all, he said, a man "in the 1870s who left Philadelphia and went to Wyoming . . . was probably nervous as hell because everyone was toting a six-gun."

Which is why they called it the Wild West and we are lucky not to have been born then. Knowing Americans, however, if the open carry fad gathers steam in this century, at some point the urge to trump the Joneses might well extend to guns. They could even become fashion must-haves. A recent article in Women & Guns magazine noted that a number of firearms and shooting accessories now come in colors meant to appeal to female tastes. As the article's headline asked, "Is Pink the New Black?"

Surveys suggest that serious shooters are not particularly drawn to girlie colors. But what about the rest of the female population? The same forces that compel women to change pocketbooks and fingernail colors may add a vexing new list of daily dressing decisions, like "What color pistol grip goes with this outfit?" Next thing you know, women could be trading tips on the Web about the best way to attract men in a world where every girl can have a gun. Should she try to stand out from the crowd with a piece of rustic exotica that reminds him of the safari dolls in 1953's "Mogambo," like a .416 Rigby? Or go with something more crudely flashy, like one of the pretend AK-47s?

Speaking of serious shooters, I don't know a soul among gun owners who is itching to prance around showing everybody what is in their holster. Most of the time, citizens who carry weapons in public places are doing it for protection, and that means concealment. They don't want their handgun easily grabbed by some idiot in a checkout line, and they don't want a potential aggressor to know what they have on them or where it is. If flashing an armory were anything but a stunt, our air marshals would be strapped like Pancho Villa.

Ms. Smith is a member of the Journal's editorial board and a TV critic.

"As an American, I was not so shocked that Obama was given the Nobel Peace Prize without any accomplishments to his name, but that America gave him the White House based on the same credentials"...Newt Gingrich

The problems we face today are there because the people who work for a living are outnumbered by those who vote for a living.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 05-02-2010, 04:39 AM   #2

Liked 22 Times on 14 Posts
Likes Given: 15

I believe open carry does two things, It deters crime and gets people comfortable with the idea of guns. When I go to wal-mart and one of my friends is open carrying people rarely notice. However, I live in a gun friendly area, Richmond, Virginia. However, Concealed Carry allows you the element of surprise and no hassle if you live in a gun unfriendly state. Just my opinion on the subject though.

we're Americans and we pray for peace, and if we can't have peace we find and destroy the people who screwed up the damn peace. So we can have some peace. - Christopher Titus

Old 05-02-2010, 05:21 AM   #3

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

I personaly am kinda torn on the open carry issue. My first thoughty is that the 2nd ammendment garauntees the right to keep and bear arms, it doesn't say thay they have to be kept hidden so as to not offend anyone. On the other hand, ( remember I live in Jersey) if I was to carry it would be concealed only, and not so I don't offend anyone but because I really dont see a need to carry openly. Now I don't think the LAW should make any distinction between open and concealed, it should be to carry, open or concealed at the discretion of the individual.
I think the article itself was insulting.

"I pledge allegiance to the flag of the United States of America, and to the republic for which it stands, one nation under God, indivisible, with liberty and justice for all."

The two enemies of the people are criminals and government, so let us tie the second down with the chains of the Constitution so the second will not become the legalized version of the first. Thomas Jefferson

Old 05-02-2010, 07:16 AM   #4

Liked 4782 Times on 2313 Posts
Likes Given: 1473

I think this question comes down to "where you live" and the prevailing attitude of your neighbors toward guns.

I've been carrying concealed for 15 yrs and can't imagine why anyone in there right mind would choose to advertise the fact that they were armed?

Sorta negates any advantage you might have had should a fight come your way...

Tacticaly speaking, it makes ZERO sense.

TACK

Old 05-02-2010, 08:19 AM   #5

Liked 2057 Times on 827 Posts
Likes Given: 2706

I Have a CCWP and do not open carry not because I can't but because I don't want others knowing I am carrying. That is just me though. Look at it this way about open carry.

If it was say a whole troop of police officers running around town no one would say one dam word about them having handguns or even AR-15 slung while they were doing so.

OR

If the Army decided to man the streets fully armed no one would say a word about open display of guns.

But let one civilian open carry and they all panic and run around like chickens with their heads cut off. If you are lucky to live in an area with some cool cops they might just check you out but if you live in a dictatorship town then you will have swat up your ass so fast that it won't even hurt your Hemorrhoids until after the fact.

For whatever reason the sheep tend to believe that being a cop or solder automatically means trained to the highest degree. When it is known on the average CCW people tend to train more then either of them do. As a CCWP holder it is my responsibility to keep up on Laws and practice with my weapon. I do this no less then once a week, but to the sheep I am untrained because I am a civilian.

Old 05-02-2010, 12:35 PM   #6
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 83 Times on 54 Posts
Likes Given: 5

I'm a little torn on the issue personally but I think if a person wants to carry openly then they should be able to. Under the right circumstances I carry openly, usually around my house or when in the yard but when I go out it gets concealed.

If the pain is lacking so is the discipline...

"the only 911 call I need is chambering a round" - Mr. Muller, MO car dealer

Old 05-02-2010, 12:38 PM   #7
bkt

Liked 1305 Times on 664 Posts
Likes Given: 151

A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms shall not be infringed.

I don't see anything about concealed or open carry in that. It's your choice how you want to carry.

If Ms. Nancy DeWolf Smith fills her pants at the sight of a firearm then the problem lies with her, not with the firearm or the person carrying it. Does she also freak out at the sight of a person in a wheelchair? How about a bald person?

Ms. Smith apparently did not attend the recent Virginia event or she would have understood that it wasn't about open carry or the second amendment in particular.

Old 05-02-2010, 12:44 PM   #8

Liked 2057 Times on 827 Posts
Likes Given: 2706

Quote:
Originally Posted by bkt View Post
A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms shall not be infringed.

I don't see anything about concealed or open carry in that. It's your choice how you want to carry.

If Ms. Nancy DeWolf Smith fills her pants at the sight of a firearm then the problem lies with her, not with the firearm or the person carrying it. Does she also freak out at the sight of a person in a wheelchair? How about a bald person?

Ms. Smith apparently did not attend the recent Virginia event or she would have understood that it wasn't about open carry or the second amendment in particular.
What bkt said

Old 05-02-2010, 01:19 PM   #9
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2104 Times on 1138 Posts
Likes Given: 3168

Quote:
What bkt said
What bkt said is right.

I'm looking forward to the passage of an open carry law in OK.

Old 05-02-2010, 01:49 PM   #10
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1879 Times on 1337 Posts
Likes Given: 2116

Default The right To Bear arms

Morning People. How many of you followed the news on what happened in New Orleans after Hurricane Katrina. Not only did some of NOPD's Finest Loot the Guns From all the Gun Stores, Then Take Vehicles From Dealerships. Then left the State. The NOPD then started taking all the guns from Private Citizens. It Didn't make rats azz wether you had a permit or not. They even beat up an old lady that had a shot gun and was protecting what she had left from the flood. To this date I don't think any guns were returned to their owners. This is what is Going to happen WTSHTF. When it Does, The Fun is gonna start, They will have to kill me before I give them whats mine. They can take all the lead they can carry! God Bless, Be Safe,Have a nice day!