Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Legal and Activism > Arresting Pastors for carrying to defend their families

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-28-2010, 12:51 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 10 Times on 7 Posts

Default Arresting Pastors for carrying to defend their families

JohnsonCityPress.com - Local News - Johnson City, TN

Man this just makes my blood boil!! Only in DC would something this stupid take place!!!! Just goes to prove their isnt a functioning brain cell at all there!!

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 08-28-2010, 01:13 PM   #2
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 891 Times on 532 Posts
Likes Given: 290

That's a hell of an over reaction on the part of the police. But the pastor needs to take responsibility as well. You need to know the carry laws of where you are taking your weapon. It's not a secret that DC does not allow CC.

"Good people drink good beer."
Hunter S. Thompson

Old 08-28-2010, 01:28 PM   #3

Liked 1403 Times on 805 Posts
Likes Given: 1290

http://i1060.photobucket.com/albums/...ps18cfbeae.jpg

Get her dirty, then clean her so she starts to respect you. When her trust is complete, she will serve you well for a lifetime!

"...if doves shot back, there wouldn't be a need for a bag limit."
- orangello

Old 08-28-2010, 11:41 PM   #4

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yunus View Post
That's a hell of an over reaction on the part of the police. But the pastor needs to take responsibility as well. You need to know the carry laws of where you are taking your weapon. It's not a secret that DC does not allow CC.
But was he really CCing? They were in his car, under a seat, and not on his person. He answered truthfully when asked about the weapons (again, according to the report)

Sounds to me like one individual cop with a chip on his shoulders (not the attitude of law enforcement in general)

Old 08-29-2010, 02:11 AM   #5

I just gotta say it...

Quote:
Unaware that his Tennessee handgun carry permit was not valid in the District of Columbia, Duncan was surprised when police were called.
If you are going to carry out of state, learn the laws of all the states you will be traveling through... it is part of the class material when you get your CC permit, or at least it is here.

Including...like Texas, having a gun in your personal car is not concealed carrying. Your car is an extension of your home. But in other states....

I do feel for the guy and the ordeal he went through and believe that there should be a nationwide recip. After all, the right to bear arms is a national thing, not a state thing.

Owner, operator, sales manager, and only salesman for:

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
and I also sweep out the place.

Old 08-29-2010, 01:04 PM   #6
bkt

Liked 1302 Times on 661 Posts
Likes Given: 151

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eastex_Guns View Post
If you are going to carry out of state, learn the laws of all the states you will be traveling through... it is part of the class material when you get your CC permit, or at least it is here.
You're right, of course. But it may not occur to many people to do that.

They don't have to make sure their driver's license is valid since there is 100% reciprocity throughout the U.S. Why are CC laws different? That seems to step on 14A quite a bit.

Old 08-29-2010, 02:21 PM   #7
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 891 Times on 532 Posts
Likes Given: 290

Quote:
Originally Posted by falseharmonix View Post
But was he really CCing? They were in his car, under a seat, and not on his person. He answered truthfully when asked about the weapons (again, according to the report)

Sounds to me like one individual cop with a chip on his shoulders (not the attitude of law enforcement in general)
I don't know the exact law in DC but I know that you can't carry guns in DC. In Montgomery county MD you can't even transport a firearm in your vehicle unless you are going to a gun repair shop, FFL to sell/transport it or to a range or hunting area. Even then it must be unloaded and ammo stored separately from the weapon.

I think that is the attitude of most cops in DC. They don't believe you should ever have a gun, only they can.

"Good people drink good beer."
Hunter S. Thompson

Old 08-29-2010, 02:41 PM   #8
Retired
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2277 Times on 1362 Posts
Likes Given: 1062

Is it the cops or their higher ups that believe one should not have a gun?

Amendment II:
"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

Life Member NRA
Life Member NAHC

Old 08-30-2010, 12:39 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by danf_fl View Post
Is it the cops or their higher ups that believe one should not have a gun?
No. According to DC laws as I have them, it is illegal to possess any handgun in DC unless that handgun has been registered. And, DC quit issuing registrations in 1977. (Except for LEO and some business permits.)

DC does not recognize any state CC license.

Owner, operator, sales manager, and only salesman for:

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
and I also sweep out the place.

Old 08-30-2010, 01:17 AM   #10

This guy pastors a church about 20 miles from my house. I heard about it a while back. Who doesn't want to carry traveling that far from home. His biggest mistake was admitting he had it. He should have kept it hidden and given no one a reason to search his car but then he would have had to lie. Seems like don't ask don't tell should apply. I would rather deal with the legal issue of using a gun I shouldn't have than dealing with my family being harmed. Our congessman is working on a reciprocity law for the country. I hope he can get it to work

"This country, with its institutions, belongs to the people who inhabit it. Whenever they shall grow weary of the existing government, they can exercise their constitutional right of amending it or their revolutionary right to dismember it or overthrow it."

-- Abraham Lincoln, 4 April 1861