Armed Citizens - Tough Targets
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Legal and Activism > Armed Citizens - Tough Targets

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-02-2012, 04:30 PM   #1
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 869 Times on 524 Posts
Likes Given: 191

Default Armed Citizens - Tough Targets

Interesting Article

Quote:
What would be the effect of depriving ordinary, law-abiding citizens from keeping arms for self-defense? One result seems certain: the law-abiding would be at a distinct disadvantage should criminals acquire guns from underground markets. After all, it is simply not possible for police officers to get to every scene where they are urgently needed.

Outside of criminology circles, relatively few people can reasonably estimate how often people use guns to fend off criminal attacks. If policymakers are truly interested in harm reduction, they should pause to consider how many crimes — murders, rapes, assaults, robberies — are thwarted each year by ordinary persons with guns. The estimates of defensive gun use range between the tens of thousands to as high as two million each year.

source

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 04-03-2012, 01:52 AM   #2

I dont have any research on this, but one can assume, that if everyone were allowed to carry a weapon, then criminals would always have to think twice before trying to test someone.

Old 04-03-2012, 02:08 AM   #3
10-32
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2917 Times on 1718 Posts

You can look to England to prove the other side of the argument. When people had guns the cops carried clubs. Guns get banned crime goes through the roof and now cops have to carry guns.

I don't need No stinking signature.

Old 04-03-2012, 07:34 AM   #4

The worst thing about what mountainman13 said, is i am getting stationed in England in 2 months. It makes me miss the US so much more when i go to a place and i dont have the right to conceal and protect my family and myself.

Old 04-03-2012, 12:44 PM   #5
10-32
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2917 Times on 1718 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steenkamp
The worst thing about what mountainman13 said, is i am getting stationed in England in 2 months. It makes me miss the US so much more when i go to a place and i dont have the right to conceal and protect my family and myself.
Stay safe and thanks for your service

I don't need No stinking signature.

Old 04-03-2012, 03:30 PM   #6

Liked 2454 Times on 1592 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steenkamp
Remind the people you talk to over there of our freedoms and what they do to our crime rate versus what is happening there. Not to rub it in their faces, just to educate them and us.

Feral cat waterboarder

Old 04-03-2012, 04:14 PM   #7
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 757 Times on 449 Posts
Likes Given: 477

Quote:
Originally Posted by beaniemac View Post
I dont have any research on this, but one can assume, that if everyone were allowed to carry a weapon, then criminals would always have to think twice before trying to test someone.

To some extent maybe true. But I do know for a fact criminals DO NOT THINK! They are instinctual to a deadly fault ... hopefully their own.

Old 04-03-2012, 04:38 PM   #8

Liked 65 Times on 36 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steenkamp View Post
Steenkamp,
Think you can still legally carry an aluminum softball bat in England.
May want to take one with you.

Old 04-03-2012, 06:39 PM   #9
JTJ
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1971 Times on 1067 Posts
Likes Given: 586

If by some means the were able to shut off the gun supply to everyone but police then the police would be targets. The criminals would ambush the cops to get guns. Lets face the truth for a change. They could not stop booze during prohibition, they have not been able to stop drugs and they wont be able to stop guns either.
By the way, those umbrellas everyone in England carries are not just for the rain. Brass headed walking sticks and canes also make good weapons.

Patron Member NRA
"I would not be an old man if I had not been an armed young man." JTJ
"Political correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and promoted by mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a piece of feces by the clean end."

Old 04-03-2012, 07:31 PM   #10
The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

Liked 21578 Times on 12248 Posts
Likes Given: 53672

i think every state should have CCW and the Castle Law! it might put the fear of God into some punk who wants to grab Granny's purse next time and she pulls out a 44 Magnum and shoots him! most criminals have no fear because they're not hel accountable for their actions and feed on most citizens as if they were sheep.