Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   Legal and Activism (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f97/)
-   -   Armed Citizens - Tough Targets (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f97/armed-citizens-tough-targets-61664/)

partdeux 04-02-2012 04:30 PM

Armed Citizens - Tough Targets

Interesting Article
Quote:

What would be the effect of depriving ordinary, law-abiding citizens from keeping arms for self-defense? One result seems certain: the law-abiding would be at a distinct disadvantage should criminals acquire guns from underground markets. After all, it is simply not possible for police officers to get to every scene where they are urgently needed.

Outside of criminology circles, relatively few people can reasonably estimate how often people use guns to fend off criminal attacks. If policymakers are truly interested in harm reduction, they should pause to consider how many crimes murders, rapes, assaults, robberies are thwarted each year by ordinary persons with guns. The estimates of defensive gun use range between the tens of thousands to as high as two million each year.

source

beaniemac 04-03-2012 01:52 AM

I dont have any research on this, but one can assume, that if everyone were allowed to carry a weapon, then criminals would always have to think twice before trying to test someone.

mountainman13 04-03-2012 02:08 AM

You can look to England to prove the other side of the argument. When people had guns the cops carried clubs. Guns get banned crime goes through the roof and now cops have to carry guns.

Steenkamp 04-03-2012 07:34 AM

The worst thing about what mountainman13 said, is i am getting stationed in England in 2 months. It makes me miss the US so much more when i go to a place and i dont have the right to conceal and protect my family and myself.

mountainman13 04-03-2012 12:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Steenkamp
The worst thing about what mountainman13 said, is i am getting stationed in England in 2 months. It makes me miss the US so much more when i go to a place and i dont have the right to conceal and protect my family and myself.

Stay safe and thanks for your service

primer1 04-03-2012 03:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Steenkamp

Remind the people you talk to over there of our freedoms and what they do to our crime rate versus what is happening there. Not to rub it in their faces, just to educate them and us.

PanBaccha 04-03-2012 04:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by beaniemac (Post 759942)
I dont have any research on this, but one can assume, that if everyone were allowed to carry a weapon, then criminals would always have to think twice before trying to test someone.

To some extent maybe true. But I do know for a fact criminals DO NOT THINK! They are instinctual to a deadly fault ... hopefully their own.

RaySendero 04-03-2012 04:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Steenkamp (Post 760180)

Steenkamp,
Think you can still legally carry an aluminum softball bat in England.
May want to take one with you.

JTJ 04-03-2012 06:39 PM

If by some means the were able to shut off the gun supply to everyone but police then the police would be targets. The criminals would ambush the cops to get guns. Lets face the truth for a change. They could not stop booze during prohibition, they have not been able to stop drugs and they wont be able to stop guns either.
By the way, those umbrellas everyone in England carries are not just for the rain. Brass headed walking sticks and canes also make good weapons.

Axxe55 04-03-2012 07:31 PM

i think every state should have CCW and the Castle Law! it might put the fear of God into some punk who wants to grab Granny's purse next time and she pulls out a 44 Magnum and shoots him! most criminals have no fear because they're not hel accountable for their actions and feed on most citizens as if they were sheep.