AR15 Question?????
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Legal and Activism > AR15 Question?????

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-20-2011, 11:26 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default AR15 Question?????

I am 20 years old and in the market for my first AR15. I own a lot of other guns but this is my first "assault rifle" it will be used for varmint hunting and plinking at the range.. So my question is do you need a permit to purchase/own an AR in the state of Minnesota? I have heard/read that you do and that you don't. Any help will be appreciated.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 02-20-2011, 11:32 PM   #2

Liked 1419 Times on 808 Posts
Likes Given: 1290

Quote:
Originally Posted by teamramrod View Post
I am 20 years old and in the market for my first AR15. I own a lot of other guns but this is my first "assault rifle" it will be used for varmint hunting and plinking at the range.. So my question is do you need a permit to purchase/own an AR in the state of Minnesota? I have heard/read that you do and that you don't. Any help will be appreciated.
First the AR-15 is NOT an "assault rifle".

Second, go over to the Introductions Section and let us know a little about yourself.

Third, read what is suggested to you in the Welcome response.

http://i1060.photobucket.com/albums/...ps18cfbeae.jpg

Get her dirty, then clean her so she starts to respect you. When her trust is complete, she will serve you well for a lifetime!

"...if doves shot back, there wouldn't be a need for a bag limit."
- orangello

Old 02-20-2011, 11:35 PM   #3

Liked 17 Times on 12 Posts

Quote:
First, welcome to the forum. Usually, new members stop by the Introductions Thread and do the polite thing.

Second, I can't see what info you can get here for that question that you can take to the Judge. Many better ways of getting legal advice, imo.

Other than that, all I can say is that asking for legal advice on the webz is not the kind I want if I need it.

From C3Shooter:
Skullcrusher, you are evil, sick, demented, twisted- and my hero!

Quote:
Originally Posted by pandamonium View Post
...without the Second, we cannot protect the rest!

Old 02-20-2011, 11:39 PM   #4

Okay didnt realize the intros were a big deal but i will get on that right away.. I was just wondering if anyone knew anything about MN laws and such

Old 02-20-2011, 11:48 PM   #5

Liked 109 Times on 46 Posts
Likes Given: 6

teamramrod, look at it this way, if you walked into a party, sat down in the chair and popped the top on a cold one and began enjoying yourself, would it not be proper to say hello to the host, and I'm so Joe Blow, thanks for letting me come to the party? Kind of the same here, we like to know a little something about each member. Everyone here can add something to the mix so we get a feeling of who that person is.

In response to your question, this came from Minn. state statutes:

State Requirements

Purchase

A handgun or semiautomatic military-style assault weapon may be sold by a dealer to a person who presents a handgun transferee permit or carry permit, or to a person who has undergone a seven day waiting period where a transfer report has been filed.
A transferee permit may be obtained at no cost from the police chief of a municipality or the county sheriff.

The information requested consists of name, residence, telephone number, driver's license number or non-qualification certificate number, sex, date of birth, height, weight, eye color, and a statement attesting that the transferee does not fall into any of the disqualifying categories listed under Possession below.

The police chief or sheriff investigates the applicant and must issue or deny the transferee permit within seven days.

A transferee permit is good statewide for one year to purchase one or more handguns either at one time or at intervals throughout the year.

A person without a transferee permit or carry permit must utilize a transfer report in order to purchase a handgun or semiautomatic military-style assault weapon.

The transfer report contains the identification information and statement attesting qualification as required in the transferee permit, and must be signed by the transferor and the proposed recipient.

The transferor must deliver the report to the police chief or sheriff no later than three days after the date of the agreement to transfer, excluding weekends and legal holidays.

No fee is charged for the transfer report.

Upon receipt of a transfer report, the police chief or sheriff investigates the potential recipient.

A handgun or assault weapon cannot be delivered until fivedays until after the agreement to transfer is delivered to the police chief sheriff.

The police may waive all or part of the seven day waiting period.

At the end of five days, the handgun or assault weapon may be transferred if the transferor hears nothing unfavorable from the police. There is no restriction on the number of handguns or assault weapons a person may acquire as part of a single transfer report.

Once a police determination has been made that a handgun or assault weapon recipient is not prohibited from possessing a handgun or assault weapon, the recipient may, within 30 days after the determination, apply to the police chief or sheriff for a handgun or assault weapon transferee permit, and the permit shall be issued.

A person transferring a handgun or assault weapon to a person exhibiting a transferee permit or carry permit is not required to file a handgun or assault weapon transfer report.

After a determination has been made that the person receiving a handgun or assault weapon is not precluded from possessing one, the person may request that no record be kept of the fact that he is the recipient of a handgun or assault weapon.

The police chief or sheriff shall sign the transfer report and return it to the person receiving the handgun or assault weapon. Thereafter, no government employee or agency shall maintain a record of the transfer that identifies the person who received the handgun or assault weapon.

The requirements of a transferee permit, permit to carry, or report of transfer and a seven day waiting period do not apply to transfers between federally licensed firearm dealers or transfers of antique firearms acquired as curiosities or for their historical significance or value.

No person shall transfer a handgun or assault weapon to another who is not personally known to the transferor unless the proposed recipient presents evidence of his identity.

Each firearm dealer shall display a warning in block letters stating, "IT IS UNLAWFUL TO STORE OR LEAVE A LOADED FIREARM WHERE A CHILD CAN OBTAIN ACCESS."

"As an American, I was not so shocked that Obama was given the Nobel Peace Prize without any accomplishments to his name, but that America gave him the White House based on the same credentials"...Newt Gingrich

The problems we face today are there because the people who work for a living are outnumbered by those who vote for a living.

Old 02-20-2011, 11:56 PM   #6

Car54 Thank you very much for the information

Old 02-21-2011, 12:06 AM   #7
Supporting Member
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2598 Times on 1268 Posts
Likes Given: 1299

Teamramrod~

Welcome to the FTF. We believe you will really enjoy the Forum.

Also probably a good time to get an AR. and some ammunition. Minnesota from rumors is one of the main targets for the radical Muslims to try to attempt to establish a somewhat Islamic Sharia State in the USA? Have you heard anything regarding that?

Old 02-21-2011, 12:11 AM   #8

Cant say ive heard that one. But if they are gonna try i wish them luck us boys up north know how to shoot and we have more guns than we can count with the ammo to back it up.

Old 02-21-2011, 01:20 AM   #9
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 5797 Times on 3027 Posts
Likes Given: 397

Quote:
Cant say ive heard that one. But if they are gonna try i wish them luck us boys up north know how to shoot and we have more guns than we can count with the ammo to back it up.
arent you guys the ones that put that looney ventura in the governor seat??

"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." — L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

Old 02-21-2011, 04:23 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonM View Post
arent you guys the ones that put that looney ventura in the governor seat??
I thought this was a gun forum not a forum about politics haha