Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   Legal and Activism (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f97/)
-   -   AR15 Question????? (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f97/ar15-question-38742/)

teamramrod 02-20-2011 11:26 PM

AR15 Question?????

I am 20 years old and in the market for my first AR15. I own a lot of other guns but this is my first "assault rifle" it will be used for varmint hunting and plinking at the range.. So my question is do you need a permit to purchase/own an AR in the state of Minnesota? I have heard/read that you do and that you don't. Any help will be appreciated.

canebrake 02-20-2011 11:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by teamramrod (Post 449816)
I am 20 years old and in the market for my first AR15. I own a lot of other guns but this is my first "assault rifle" it will be used for varmint hunting and plinking at the range.. So my question is do you need a permit to purchase/own an AR in the state of Minnesota? I have heard/read that you do and that you don't. Any help will be appreciated.

First the AR-15 is NOT an "assault rifle".

Second, go over to the Introductions Section and let us know a little about yourself.

Third, read what is suggested to you in the Welcome response.

skullcrusher 02-20-2011 11:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by teamramrod (Post 449816)

First, welcome to the forum. Usually, new members stop by the Introductions Thread and do the polite thing.

Second, I can't see what info you can get here for that question that you can take to the Judge. Many better ways of getting legal advice, imo.

Other than that, all I can say is that asking for legal advice on the webz is not the kind I want if I need it.

teamramrod 02-20-2011 11:39 PM

Okay didnt realize the intros were a big deal but i will get on that right away.. I was just wondering if anyone knew anything about MN laws and such

Car54 02-20-2011 11:48 PM

teamramrod, look at it this way, if you walked into a party, sat down in the chair and popped the top on a cold one and began enjoying yourself, would it not be proper to say hello to the host, and I'm so Joe Blow, thanks for letting me come to the party? Kind of the same here, we like to know a little something about each member. Everyone here can add something to the mix so we get a feeling of who that person is.

In response to your question, this came from Minn. state statutes:

State Requirements

Purchase

A handgun or semiautomatic military-style assault weapon may be sold by a dealer to a person who presents a handgun transferee permit or carry permit, or to a person who has undergone a seven day waiting period where a transfer report has been filed.
A transferee permit may be obtained at no cost from the police chief of a municipality or the county sheriff.

The information requested consists of name, residence, telephone number, driver's license number or non-qualification certificate number, sex, date of birth, height, weight, eye color, and a statement attesting that the transferee does not fall into any of the disqualifying categories listed under Possession below.

The police chief or sheriff investigates the applicant and must issue or deny the transferee permit within seven days.

A transferee permit is good statewide for one year to purchase one or more handguns either at one time or at intervals throughout the year.

A person without a transferee permit or carry permit must utilize a transfer report in order to purchase a handgun or semiautomatic military-style assault weapon.

The transfer report contains the identification information and statement attesting qualification as required in the transferee permit, and must be signed by the transferor and the proposed recipient.

The transferor must deliver the report to the police chief or sheriff no later than three days after the date of the agreement to transfer, excluding weekends and legal holidays.

No fee is charged for the transfer report.

Upon receipt of a transfer report, the police chief or sheriff investigates the potential recipient.

A handgun or assault weapon cannot be delivered until fivedays until after the agreement to transfer is delivered to the police chief sheriff.

The police may waive all or part of the seven day waiting period.

At the end of five days, the handgun or assault weapon may be transferred if the transferor hears nothing unfavorable from the police. There is no restriction on the number of handguns or assault weapons a person may acquire as part of a single transfer report.

Once a police determination has been made that a handgun or assault weapon recipient is not prohibited from possessing a handgun or assault weapon, the recipient may, within 30 days after the determination, apply to the police chief or sheriff for a handgun or assault weapon transferee permit, and the permit shall be issued.

A person transferring a handgun or assault weapon to a person exhibiting a transferee permit or carry permit is not required to file a handgun or assault weapon transfer report.

After a determination has been made that the person receiving a handgun or assault weapon is not precluded from possessing one, the person may request that no record be kept of the fact that he is the recipient of a handgun or assault weapon.

The police chief or sheriff shall sign the transfer report and return it to the person receiving the handgun or assault weapon. Thereafter, no government employee or agency shall maintain a record of the transfer that identifies the person who received the handgun or assault weapon.

The requirements of a transferee permit, permit to carry, or report of transfer and a seven day waiting period do not apply to transfers between federally licensed firearm dealers or transfers of antique firearms acquired as curiosities or for their historical significance or value.

No person shall transfer a handgun or assault weapon to another who is not personally known to the transferor unless the proposed recipient presents evidence of his identity.

Each firearm dealer shall display a warning in block letters stating, "IT IS UNLAWFUL TO STORE OR LEAVE A LOADED FIREARM WHERE A CHILD CAN OBTAIN ACCESS."

teamramrod 02-20-2011 11:56 PM

Car54 Thank you very much for the information

Sniper03 02-21-2011 12:06 AM

Teamramrod~

Welcome to the FTF. We believe you will really enjoy the Forum.

Also probably a good time to get an AR. and some ammunition. Minnesota from rumors is one of the main targets for the radical Muslims to try to attempt to establish a somewhat Islamic Sharia State in the USA? Have you heard anything regarding that?

teamramrod 02-21-2011 12:11 AM

Cant say ive heard that one. But if they are gonna try i wish them luck us boys up north know how to shoot and we have more guns than we can count with the ammo to back it up.

JonM 02-21-2011 01:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by teamramrod (Post 449866)
Cant say ive heard that one. But if they are gonna try i wish them luck us boys up north know how to shoot and we have more guns than we can count with the ammo to back it up.

arent you guys the ones that put that looney ventura in the governor seat??

teamramrod 02-21-2011 04:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JonM (Post 449921)
arent you guys the ones that put that looney ventura in the governor seat??

I thought this was a gun forum not a forum about politics haha