Appalachian Traii

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Legal and Activism > Appalachian Traii

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-02-2011, 04:27 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Likes Given: 7

Question Appalachian Traii

Does anyone know if you can carry a gun on the Appalachian Trail? Will anyone search you? Would you walk the trail without a firearm?

-Bob

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 10-02-2011, 05:11 AM   #2

The Trail passes through 14 states. The answer to your question will depend on which of those 14 states you are asking about. For example, unless you are a New York State resident with the appropriate permit, it's probably out of the question to carry a handgun on the New York portion of the trail.

Old 10-02-2011, 05:44 AM   #3

Liked 22 Times on 14 Posts
Likes Given: 15

A good friend of mine is currently hiking the trail and just crossed the Va/ North carolina border. Unless you get all the proper permits then no it isn't. However, I met up with him o the trail a week ago and I also was curious about his 38 special he carries. He said that most people carry on the trail and as long as you keep it out of sight no one is the wiser and the park rangers really don't hassle people about it. but then again its your call and the law is the law.

we're Americans and we pray for peace, and if we can't have peace we find and destroy the people who screwed up the damn peace. So we can have some peace. - Christopher Titus

Old 10-02-2011, 06:08 AM   #4

Liked 25 Times on 12 Posts

If you are sticking strictly to the trail, and are not a jackass, you could probably get away with it. HOWEVER! There are portions where it is illegal if you don't have the proper permits ( which are extensive based on the different states), but it's up to the hiker. I personally would not travel it unarmed. But there is a risk

Old 10-02-2011, 11:54 PM   #5

Likes Given: 7

I guess it comes down to the old saying: Tried by 12 or carried by 6.

-Bob

Old 10-03-2011, 02:44 AM   #6
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 9509 Times on 4092 Posts
Likes Given: 1493

A good part of the AT in VA is in the Shenandoah Natnl Park, Possession of firearms is illegal EXCEPT if you have a CCW. That includes open carrying. My 1911 goes with me, legally concealed.

No CCW? No, I will NOT send you cigarettes in the Federal Pen, and I do NOT want to hear about yer new roomate, Rocko.

Please note that a goodly part of the AT is on privately owned land, and you are, as the man said up there- subject to state law.

What we have here is... failure- to communicate.

Old 10-04-2011, 12:32 AM   #7

Liked 27 Times on 17 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlBob518 View Post
Does anyone know if you can carry a gun on the Appalachian Trail? Will anyone search you? Would you walk the trail without a firearm?
Not to be construed as legal advice, but I wouldn't hike the trail without a firearm ! (The better to be judged by 12 than carried by six mentality). There's been a number of incidents - at least in my area - where hikers were attacked/killed by 2-legged predators along the trail over the past few years ! >MW

Old 10-04-2011, 02:42 AM   #8
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 9509 Times on 4092 Posts
Likes Given: 1493

True words. In some remote areas, do not stray from the trail. People are growing weed and cooking meth, and the route is is mined. Really.

If you would go in the back country unarmed, you never watched

deliverance.jpg

What we have here is... failure- to communicate.

Old 10-04-2011, 03:09 AM   #9

Liked 9206 Times on 5058 Posts
Likes Given: 74

My wife is from Shepherdstown WV (the Trail passes through the area, BEAUTIFUL country by the way) and 2 of her classmates disappeared on the trail, one of them was a guy and was alone. The other was a teenage girl and was snatched from a GROUP of about 8 people. Their remains were found just a couple years ago, about 6 years after it happened, with the remains of 2 other people.

This was done by the 2 legged predator type.

The remains were found about 5 feet off the beaten path. 4 total.

Judged by 12, or carried by 6. I don't condone breaking the law, but I do it myself all the time. This is one of those instances I most definitely would.

There is also another option; you could choose not to hike it.

Old 10-04-2011, 05:43 PM   #10

Always check teh law, but it is good to remember than even where it's illegal to carry a handgun under all conditions, you may still be allowed to carry a long gun.

A handgun is certainly more convenient when hiking, but a rifle or a shotgun beats a stick every time.