Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   Legal and Activism (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f97/)
-   -   Apartment Complex (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f97/apartment-complex-22708/)

Steviepc7 01-28-2010 04:41 AM

Apartment Complex

I live in an apartment complex in florida that does not allow guns to be kept in the apartments.... lets just say someone in these apartments does keep firearms in their place anyways. if someone was to break in and the owner used a firearm to protect himself even though that complex doesnt allow them...would he be held at fault?

canebrake 01-28-2010 04:48 AM

The FTF flunked our Bar Exam.

Only a fool would take legal advice from us.

Taking legal advice from a public forum is only exceeded in stupidity by the people that offer that advice!

dunerunner 01-28-2010 04:51 AM

Once Again.............More good advice from Cane!! :D

As for me, beat hell out of them with a ball bat....just as long as ball bats aren't forbiden in the complex, too!!

Steviepc7 01-28-2010 04:53 AM

i just wanted to ask around before i move into a place that doesnt allow guns.

dunerunner 01-28-2010 04:57 AM

Find another apartment complex. In light of all the firearms related attacks, I'm sure you realize that a gun free zone is the most dangerous place to live!

Gojubrian 01-28-2010 06:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Steviepc7 (Post 219978)
i just wanted to ask around before i move into a place that doesnt allow guns.

A lawyer would be a good place to start, not so much a gun forum. :rolleyes:

Seriously, get legal council on this.....and then don't move there.

bkt 01-28-2010 09:50 AM

The apartment complex is privately-owned and on the one hand, the owners may set any policies they like. You should check the local law, however, to see if it is legal to deny rights in the context of a domicile; sometimes apartment complex owners cannot do that. Call a local attorney and find out what the law says.

But if you sign a lease and pledge to agree with and abide by the policies of those who own the apartments, you might not be under any legal trouble, but you will almost certainly find yourself homeless in the situation you describe. If what they're doing is not enforceable or even illegal, very politely bring the topic up and give them copies of rulings or whatever to make your point. That might instantly disqualify you, but it's worth a shot.

spittinfire 01-28-2010 10:16 AM

I'm currently renting and when my wife and I were looking for a new place to rent one of the qualifications was that they allowed/supported guns in the home. I will not live in a place that does not allow me to arm myself. If it were me, I'd keep shopping for an apartment.

Steviepc7 01-28-2010 09:57 PM

Thanks for the input fellas.

skullcrusher 01-28-2010 10:14 PM

I agree with finding another place, but renting equals negotiable terms...

There may be an insurance waiver involved should you decide to chat with the highest up in the Mgt Co that runs the apartment complex. If you like the aprartment enough and in the right area, talk to them. You never know. Probably a clause that they believe expemts them from a potential lawsuit.