Anything bigger than .22 is "high powered"?
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Legal and Activism > Anything bigger than .22 is "high powered"?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-20-2010, 08:24 PM   #1
bkt
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 1305 Times on 664 Posts
Likes Given: 151

Default Anything bigger than .22 is "high powered"?

I know this has been discussed before, but this made me laugh out loud.

Feds want reporting for high-powered rifle sales

By ALICIA A. CALDWELL

Associated Press
WASHINGTON —

The federal agency that monitors gun sales wants weapons dealers near the Mexican border to start reporting multiple sales of high-powered rifles, according to a notice published in the Federal Register.

The Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives has asked the White House budget office to approve an emergency request requiring border-area gun dealers to report the sales of two or more rifles to the same customer within a five-day period.

The emergency request, published Friday in the Federal Register, is likely to face stiff opposition from gun rights advocates, including the National Rifle Association. ATF wants the Office of Budget Management to approve the request by Jan. 5.

NRA officials did not immediately return a telephone message for comment Monday. Last week the group's chief lobbyist, Chris Cox, told the Washington Post that the "NRA supports legitimate efforts to stop criminal activity, but we will not stand idle while our Second Amendment is sacrificed for politics." The Post first reported the proposal.

High-powered rifles have become the weapon of choice for Mexico's warring drug cartel. More than 30,000 people have been killed in Mexico's drug war since President Felipe Calderon launched an offensive against the powerful drug gangs shortly after taking office in late 2006.

Officials on both sides of the border have said weapons bought legally in the United States are routinely smuggled into the Mexico. The proposed reporting requirement would apply to sales of two or more semi-automatic guns more powerful than .22-caliber rifles that use a detachable magazine within a five-day period.

ATF, which tracks weapons found in Mexico and has tied tens of thousands of recovered guns to U.S. dealers, has been criticized for not doing enough to curb the flow of guns to Mexico, where firearms sales are highly restricted.

Last month a Justice Department report on the agency's Operation Gunrunner criticized the program as being narrowly focused on individual gun buyers and not larger smuggling organizations believed responsible for significant numbers of guns being shipped across the border.

Currently there are no reporting requirements for rifles.

If approved by the White House, the new reporting requirement would affect nearly 8,500 border-area gun dealers in Arizona, California, New Mexico and Texas and be in place for 180 days.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 12-20-2010, 08:59 PM   #2
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 3098 Times on 1552 Posts
Likes Given: 383

Yep, that's the answer, more govt intrusion.

NRA Life Member

Liberals are constantly telling us about the poor and oppressed in this country. With that in mind, why do they feel the need to keep importing poor people from other countries?

Old 12-20-2010, 09:22 PM   #3
Coffee! If your not shaking, you need another cup
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2024 Times on 1183 Posts
Likes Given: 4309

The Jack Boots are a coming!

More left-wing BS!

Old 12-20-2010, 09:29 PM   #4

Liked 1127 Times on 542 Posts
Likes Given: 1249

Quote:
Originally Posted by bkt View Post
I know this has been discussed before, but this made me laugh out loud.

Feds want reporting for high-powered rifle sales

By ALICIA A. CALDWELL

Associated Press
WASHINGTON —

The federal agency that monitors gun sales wants weapons dealers near the Mexican border to start reporting multiple sales of high-powered rifles, according to a notice published in the Federal Register.

The Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives has asked the White House budget office to approve an emergency request requiring border-area gun dealers to report the sales of two or more rifles to the same customer within a five-day period.

The emergency request, published Friday in the Federal Register, is likely to face stiff opposition from gun rights advocates, including the National Rifle Association. ATF wants the Office of Budget Management to approve the request by Jan. 5.

NRA officials did not immediately return a telephone message for comment Monday. Last week the group's chief lobbyist, Chris Cox, told the Washington Post that the "NRA supports legitimate efforts to stop criminal activity, but we will not stand idle while our Second Amendment is sacrificed for politics." The Post first reported the proposal.

High-powered rifles have become the weapon of choice for Mexico's warring drug cartel. More than 30,000 people have been killed in Mexico's drug war since President Felipe Calderon launched an offensive against the powerful drug gangs shortly after taking office in late 2006.

Officials on both sides of the border have said weapons bought legally in the United States are routinely smuggled into the Mexico. The proposed reporting requirement would apply to sales of two or more semi-automatic guns more powerful than .22-caliber rifles that use a detachable magazine within a five-day period.

ATF, which tracks weapons found in Mexico and has tied tens of thousands of recovered guns to U.S. dealers, has been criticized for not doing enough to curb the flow of guns to Mexico, where firearms sales are highly restricted.

Last month a Justice Department report on the agency's Operation Gunrunner criticized the program as being narrowly focused on individual gun buyers and not larger smuggling organizations believed responsible for significant numbers of guns being shipped across the border.

Currently there are no reporting requirements for rifles.

If approved by the White House, the new reporting requirement would affect nearly 8,500 border-area gun dealers in Arizona, California, New Mexico and Texas and be in place for 180 days.
Anything more powerful than a .22 is high powered in UK

Old 12-20-2010, 09:36 PM   #5

Location: I see you, and you will not know when I will strike
Liked 3479 Times on 1609 Posts
Likes Given: 3590

"the reporting of two or more larger than .22 caliber semi-automatic rifles in a 5 day period".

Unless I somewhere missed a memo, aren't people filling out forms for the purchase of those weapons anyways? And the press release says 'Weapons Dealers" meaning this is not person to person sales in a backlot somewhere.

I fail to see the problem. They are already filing the paperwork, if they are selling legally and thus would follow this new "rule', the people that are supposed to be looking at aren't, so the new request is for budget money to do that??

Again I say, our Government, wasting money?! What?!

Old 12-20-2010, 10:51 PM   #6

Liked 17 Times on 12 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dillinger View Post
"the reporting of two or more larger than .22 caliber semi-automatic rifles in a 5 day period".

Unless I somewhere missed a memo, aren't people filling out forms for the purchase of those weapons anyways? And the press release says 'Weapons Dealers" meaning this is not person to person sales in a backlot somewhere.

I fail to see the problem. They are already filing the paperwork, if they are selling legally and thus would follow this new "rule', the people that are supposed to be looking at aren't, so the new request is for budget money to do that??

Again I say, our Government, wasting money?! What?!
Of course they are filling out the paperwork, and the FFL is doing the check. They want to go after the dealers who don't follow their stupid rules and yank ffls, I suppose. How's the dealer up the street gonna know if I buy one from him and the next day buy one from the dealer down the street? That is 2 in 2 days. Is the second guy responsible for the reporting? Wouldn't the check on me twice in 2 days raise a flag with the BATFE?

+1 on the gubmit wasting more money

From C3Shooter:
Skullcrusher, you are evil, sick, demented, twisted- and my hero!

Quote:
Originally Posted by pandamonium View Post
...without the Second, we cannot protect the rest!

Old 12-20-2010, 11:47 PM   #7

Liked 1217 Times on 723 Posts
Likes Given: 387

Quote:
The proposed reporting requirement would apply to sales of two or more semi-automatic guns more powerful than .22-caliber rifles that use a detachable magazine within a five-day period.
Two parts of this phrase can be interpreted very liberally I think.

First AR's without detachable magazines wouldn't be covered, nor would any other semi-auto weapon that is SOLD without the ability to use a detachable magazine.

Second, isn't ".22-caliber" a bit vague, do they mean .22LR(I'm sure they do) or are they saying .22 caliber bullet, in the case of bullet then AR's are not covered at all, nor any other .223.

"Good people drink good beer."
Hunter S. Thompson

Old 12-20-2010, 11:58 PM   #8
bkt

Liked 1305 Times on 664 Posts
Likes Given: 151

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yunus View Post
Two parts of this phrase can be interpreted very liberally I think.

First AR's without detachable magazines wouldn't be covered, nor would any other semi-auto weapon that is SOLD without the ability to use a detachable magazine.
Right, exactly. A WWII era rifle that uses (stripper) clips is evidently exempt. SKS's and Garands are OK, but a Ruger 10/22 is a no-no? Say what?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yunus View Post
Second, isn't ".22-caliber" a bit vague, do they mean .22LR(I'm sure they do) or are they saying .22 caliber bullet, in the case of bullet then AR's are not covered at all, nor any other .223.
I think they mean ".22 or bigger" which would catch the .223 and above.

Old 12-21-2010, 01:57 AM   #9

Location: I see you, and you will not know when I will strike
Liked 3479 Times on 1609 Posts
Likes Given: 3590

Quote:
Originally Posted by skullcrusher View Post
How's the dealer up the street gonna know if I buy one from him and the next day buy one from the dealer down the street? That is 2 in 2 days. Is the second guy responsible for the reporting? Wouldn't the check on me twice in 2 days raise a flag with the BATFE?

+1 on the gubmit wasting more money
Plus 1 and a *fistbump*

That is in the same direction as I was going with my post, but you put it in clearer form.

If we sell a weapon through the shop, we call in, we get a yay, nay or a hold.

In my time there, I have probably called in somewhere between 35 and 50. I don't know how many, but it's happened more than a few times.

NEVER ONCE -

Did anyone on the other end of the line say anything like "You do know he just bought a gun across town, don't you?!" or anything even REMOTELY close to it.

There was one time where the person on the other end took the information, put me on hold, then came back on and asked me to repeat the name and the social security number. She confirmed the social security number and said something "Uh, no. This is going to be a categorical denial". That was on a pistol that was transferred in off gunbroker and the dude, while pissed, didn't seem to put too much of a fight and asked about getting his money back. Since we had not paid for the weapon, we didn't have any to give him, as he owed us $50 for the transfer, which we ended up getting out of the shipper to send it back to him.

The people that answer those calls don't just VOLUNTEER information. It could not be anymore informal than if you were at the DMV behind 6 inches of plexiglass. It's "name, address, soc, weapon type" and on down the list.

I just don't see spending this extra money in this instance achieving anything but now making the case that "this" little FFL over here in SE Texas is the one to blame for this latest carnage.

Old 12-21-2010, 12:59 PM   #10

Liked 29 Times on 23 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by bkt View Post
...and be in place for 180 days.
Among all the other manure in this farce, is anyone else going to throw the Bulls**t flag on this "180 days" crap? How many other "temporary" regulations are still in force years and decades after they were supposed to expire?