Anyone have pro gun statistics? - Page 2
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Legal and Activism > Anyone have pro gun statistics?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-22-2012, 03:06 AM   #11
The Apocalypse Is Coming.....
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 21996 Times on 12402 Posts
Likes Given: 53672

i have to agree with C3 and Cottontop on this, as it is his house and though i disagree with his philosophy, i do respect the fact it's his house and he is allowed to set the rules. i am not against you using facts and figures to support your position and wholeheartedly support you trying to convince your father from a logical and fact based stance on guns and gun owners. but please respect your fathers wishes and remember, you have plenty of time for guns in your own place, if he doesn't change his position on the matter, but you only have one father. i do wish you luck though.

Old 07-22-2012, 03:08 AM   #12

Liked 245 Times on 180 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by axxe55
i have to agree with C3 and Cottontop on this, as it is his house and though i disagree with his philosophy, i do respect the fact it's his house and he is allowed to set the rules. i am not against you using facts and figures to support your position and wholeheartedly support you trying to convince your father from a logical and fact based stance on guns and gun owners. but please respect your fathers wishes and remember, you have plenty of time for guns in your own place, if he doesn't change his position on the matter, but you only have one father. i do wish you luck though.
Ditto......................

Old 07-22-2012, 04:10 AM   #13
Lifetime Supporting Member
FTF_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 8821 Times on 5102 Posts
Likes Given: 11505

My parents are in their 80's and have long been anti-gun to the degree that as kids we were prohibited from having any type of toy guns, and our friends had to leave their toy guns outside when entering our house. I am in my late 40's. I bought my first gun (a Marlin Model 60- still have it) when I was 17 or so and never told them about it. Got my second one, a Mossberg 500 (still have it) shortly after. Never told them.

Having told you that, I agree. Dad's house, his rules. Respect them. In the meantime you can work on changing his mind, but don't expect results on that anytime soon. I have been working on my parents for all of my adult life, and it has worked. My dad has brought my nieces and nephews to me to train on firearms safety and shooting (see the thread I started http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f66/new-shooters-68500/ ) Today we visited them and talked about guns, concealed carry, the Colorado shooting and a whole host of other gun topics. My nieces are actually talking about getting into shooting at home in Washington.

My mom (mom and dad are long ago divorced) has been after me for awhile now to take her out to the range.

Your dad may change. He may one day respect you and why you have decided to take up firearms. But it can and probably will take time. It took me thirty years. Of course I started on them later than you did.

What part of CA are you from?

Old 07-22-2012, 04:47 AM   #14
fmj

Liked 753 Times on 437 Posts
Likes Given: 306

Quote:
Originally Posted by axxe55 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vikingdad View Post
My parents are in their 80's and have long been anti-gun to the degree that as kids we were prohibited from having any type of toy guns, and our friends had to leave their toy guns outside when entering our house. I am in my late 40's. I bought my first gun (a Marlin Model 60- still have it) when I was 17 or so and never told them about it. Got my second one, a Mossberg 500 (still have it) shortly after. Never told them.

Having told you that, I agree. Dad's house, his rules. Respect them. In the meantime you can work on changing his mind, but don't expect results on that anytime soon. I have been working on my parents for all of my adult life, and it has worked. My dad has brought my nieces and nephews to me to train on firearms safety and shooting (see the thread I started http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f66/new-shooters-68500/ ) Today we visited them and talked about guns, concealed carry, the Colorado shooting and a whole host of other gun topics. My nieces are actually talking about getting into shooting at home in Washington.

My mom (mom and dad are long ago divorced) has been after me for awhile now to take her out to the range.

Your dad may change. He may one day respect you and why you have decided to take up firearms. But it can and probably will take time. It took me thirty years. Of course I started on them later than you did.

What part of CA are you from?
I quoted all of the above as they say it better than i could...dads house, dads rules. Please be respectful of his wishes and his home.

Debate with the old man, if hes an engineer, he should be able to be overcome with facts. Never yell, never get mad. Study the subject well, the facts, figures and all reason are in favor of gun ownership.

Then, after reading the sources listed, when you have defeated all the lame excuses for his anti gun stance....take him to the range and start with basic safety and marksmanship.

Most (most,not all) anti-gunners are just ignorant....they just havent been exposed to the safe, common sense handling of firearms and the joy of marksmanship.

Good luck in your journey of education.

The 1911: Turning useless trash into good fertilizer for over 100 years!!
People Like This 
Old 07-22-2012, 04:10 PM   #15

Liked 2 Times on 1 Posts

Thank you so much for the input guys. I was going to hide it but what I'll do instead is store it at a friends house. It's unfortunate that my dad isn't ok with this and it's going to make shooting a lot more annoying (more driving to get my firearm) but it's the best I can do.

Thank you again for the advice!

I'm from Orange County Vikingdad

Old 07-22-2012, 04:21 PM   #16

Liked 1958 Times on 1030 Posts
Likes Given: 4286

http://jpfo.org/

http://jpfo.org/pdf02/gun-facts-5.1.pdf

There is a 6.0 version of the gun facts pdf but I can't get it to download...

This should give you some 'ammo' for logical discussion...

Proud Supporter of USA Shooting

Old 07-22-2012, 04:32 PM   #17

Liked 65 Times on 36 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by canyon289 View Post
Thank you so much for the input guys. I was going to hide it but what I'll do instead is store it at a friends house. It's unfortunate that my dad isn't ok with this and it's going to make shooting a lot more annoying (more driving to get my firearm) but it's the best I can do.

An anti-gun position is based on emotion, not facts. If your dad is as logical as you say, then he should be open to "experience". Even engineers find it hard to debate or defend a situation that he/she has not personally had any experience with! Usually, their training and instincts are to find out for themselves.

Invite him to the range with you. Initially, he will probably decline. BUT, keep asking him. My bet is that he will be interested in seeing how you can safely handle and shoot your rifle.

PS: A BIG CAUTION - If he accepts, this maybe your one and only shot (pun) at this! I suggest you take a hunter safety course and any other firearm safety training to get prepared. Ask him to attend, too. He may decline, but you will be letting him know how commented you are to firearm safety.

Last edited by RaySendero; 07-22-2012 at 04:40 PM.
axxe55 Likes This 
Old 07-22-2012, 04:32 PM   #18
Lifetime Supporting Member
FTF_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 8821 Times on 5102 Posts
Likes Given: 11505

Quote:
Originally Posted by canyon289 View Post

I was just thinking that at the range where I frequently shoot there are a lot of older members, many of whom are engineers, who would be more than happy to have you and your father as guests in order to present to him a friendly, approachable and reasonable face as to who gun owners are. I am guessing that your father is probably in his late 40's or maybe 50's? Find some people his age to introduce him to. All too often a father will be reluctant to have his young son introduce him to something, like guns, that he has always thought to be "evil" in some way. Bringing in somebody else (maybe even somebody he already knows) might be the ticket.

By the way, I am in the SF Bay Area.
Old 07-25-2012, 04:08 AM   #19
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 330 Times on 179 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Is there a reason your dad doesn't like guns? Is it lack of experience or an experience from his past that has put a fear in him...my dad doesn't think anyone should have a gun except to hunt. He won't say why but I think there's something in his past that has put a bad taste in his mouth about it. He hates that I cc and I can't get him to talk about why he doesn't like it. I even got mom to go to the range with me once and she was extremely against it. She's starting to open her eyes and see that the worlds not that safe of a place anymore. Dads set in his ways and refuses to listen to reason. Good luck talkin to your dad, I hope he becomes a lil more open minded than mine.

Old 07-25-2012, 04:17 AM   #20

Liked 2 Times on 1 Posts

Not sure, my dad is relatively closed about his past life. After some initial tension he's lightened up about my purchase and now calmly, almost jokingly, asks me to not to bring it in the house.

I think a big part of it is he's getting used to the fact that I'm growing up and making my own decisions. I'm really glad he's being more understanding about it though and I honestly appreciate the advice I got here. I was going to hide it in the house but you guys convinced me otherwise.