Anyone familiar with california gun laws/M&P 15/22??
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Legal and Activism > Anyone familiar with california gun laws/M&P 15/22??

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-26-2010, 08:01 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default Anyone familiar with california gun laws/M&P 15/22??

I've been waiting for an answer from the California justice department, and figured while I was waiting I might ask people who would know and who are a bit more responsive:

My wife is planning on purchasing a Smith and Wesson M&P 15/22 in Missouri. It's possible we might end up moving to California, and that S&W sell a "california compliant" version of that firearm, which I believe the only difference is that it has a 10 round magazine instead of a 25.

Besides the "high-capacity magazine," is there anything about the regular M&P 15/22 that would be "illegal" in california?

There are two types of idiocy: Believing everything one is told without question, and never listening to what others have to say.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 12-26-2010, 08:35 PM   #2
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 5731 Times on 2995 Posts
Likes Given: 379

i think its black. california govt hates black. i think you get exempted for moving there with evil totems. primitive superstitous peoples ascribe magical evil powers to inanimate objects based on appearence. good luck in loopy land

"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." — L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

Last edited by JonM; 12-26-2010 at 08:37 PM.

Old 12-26-2010, 10:19 PM   #3

Likes Given: 23

I was unaware that the 10 round law applied to .22's, but that may be because I am of the belief that the special ed. law makers of this state can go "F" themselves.

worst care scenario you add a bullet button and get a 10 round mag

"It made me wonder enough to ask a sober person if it made sense to them. It didn't. "

Old 12-26-2010, 10:57 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by coronadrinker85 View Post
I was unaware that the 10 round law applied to .22's, but that may be because I am of the belief that the special ed. law makers of this state can go "F" themselves.

worst care scenario you add a bullet button and get a 10 round mag
See, that's the thing. I'm not sure if it applies to .22LR or not. Reading the statutes have literally made my head spin. I think I might just have to wait until I get an email back from the Justice Department, and if we end up moving there, I'm going to have it printed out and laminated, and stick it in the dashboard of every vehicle I'm in.

The list of things that make it an "assault" weapon are preposterous. It's all freaking cosmetic stuff (literally, I could "make" my Ruger 10/22 an "assault" weapon by changing the stock).

There are two types of idiocy: Believing everything one is told without question, and never listening to what others have to say.

Old 12-26-2010, 11:12 PM   #5

Likes Given: 23

yup. like I said retarded. You can call some Cali. gun shops for info. Had I read this earlier I would have asked when I was at Bass Pro Shop today. I know there word isn't worth beans if you get pulled over, but it will give you an idea of where you stand.

"It made me wonder enough to ask a sober person if it made sense to them. It didn't. "

Old 08-03-2011, 01:34 AM   #6

THe .22 version is legal in CA with a 30 magazine. THe thing you have to have is a bullet button and a 10 round max clip that cannot be removed without a tool

Old 08-03-2011, 06:27 AM   #7

Liked 32 Times on 23 Posts
Likes Given: 45

The M&P 22 is CA legal. Evil features don't apply to rimfires, but mag capacity does.

Some stores sell the version without the flash hider and call it "CA compliant", but others sell the full blown Magpul Edition with all the goodies.

Don't bring in the 25 rd mags. They did not exist before the law changed, so there is no way to argue that they are "Pre", if anyone questioned you.

But just check on the DOJ website. It has all the info. CALGUNS has it, too.

SAF-Life
PEIAPOI

"Obama has ordered the launching of more Tomahawk cruise missiles than All the other Nobel Peace Prize winners combined."

Old 08-04-2011, 04:40 AM   #8

Liked 89 Times on 67 Posts
Likes Given: 25

The assault weapons law in California does "not" apply to rimfire rifles. The magazine capacity law "does" apply however, 10 rounds max. This is for removable magazines only and "not" tube fed magazines.

Jim.............

Visit me on FaceBook at Alvord Limited Custom Gunsmithing.

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Alvord-Limited-Custom-gunsmithing/637828296334671?ref=bookmarks