Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   Legal and Activism (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f97/)
-   -   Anyone familiar with california gun laws/M&P 15/22?? (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f97/anyone-familiar-california-gun-laws-m-p-15-22-a-36044/)

corrinavatan 12-26-2010 08:01 PM

Anyone familiar with california gun laws/M&P 15/22??

I've been waiting for an answer from the California justice department, and figured while I was waiting I might ask people who would know and who are a bit more responsive:

My wife is planning on purchasing a Smith and Wesson M&P 15/22 in Missouri. It's possible we might end up moving to California, and that S&W sell a "california compliant" version of that firearm, which I believe the only difference is that it has a 10 round magazine instead of a 25.

Besides the "high-capacity magazine," is there anything about the regular M&P 15/22 that would be "illegal" in california?

JonM 12-26-2010 08:35 PM

i think its black. california govt hates black. i think you get exempted for moving there with evil totems. primitive superstitous peoples ascribe magical evil powers to inanimate objects based on appearence. good luck in loopy land

coronadrinker85 12-26-2010 10:19 PM

I was unaware that the 10 round law applied to .22's, but that may be because I am of the belief that the special ed. law makers of this state can go "F" themselves.

worst care scenario you add a bullet button and get a 10 round mag

corrinavatan 12-26-2010 10:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by coronadrinker85 (Post 409652)
I was unaware that the 10 round law applied to .22's, but that may be because I am of the belief that the special ed. law makers of this state can go "F" themselves.

worst care scenario you add a bullet button and get a 10 round mag

See, that's the thing. I'm not sure if it applies to .22LR or not. Reading the statutes have literally made my head spin. I think I might just have to wait until I get an email back from the Justice Department, and if we end up moving there, I'm going to have it printed out and laminated, and stick it in the dashboard of every vehicle I'm in.

The list of things that make it an "assault" weapon are preposterous. It's all freaking cosmetic stuff (literally, I could "make" my Ruger 10/22 an "assault" weapon by changing the stock).

coronadrinker85 12-26-2010 11:12 PM

yup. like I said retarded. You can call some Cali. gun shops for info. Had I read this earlier I would have asked when I was at Bass Pro Shop today. I know there word isn't worth beans if you get pulled over, but it will give you an idea of where you stand.

yankees17766 08-03-2011 01:34 AM

THe .22 version is legal in CA with a 30 magazine. THe thing you have to have is a bullet button and a 10 round max clip that cannot be removed without a tool

M14sRock 08-03-2011 06:27 AM

The M&P 22 is CA legal. Evil features don't apply to rimfires, but mag capacity does.

Some stores sell the version without the flash hider and call it "CA compliant", but others sell the full blown Magpul Edition with all the goodies.

Don't bring in the 25 rd mags. They did not exist before the law changed, so there is no way to argue that they are "Pre", if anyone questioned you.

But just check on the DOJ website. It has all the info. CALGUNS has it, too.

masterPsmith 08-04-2011 04:40 AM

The assault weapons law in California does "not" apply to rimfire rifles. The magazine capacity law "does" apply however, 10 rounds max. This is for removable magazines only and "not" tube fed magazines.

Jim.............