Any Oregon Gun Vault laws?
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Legal and Activism > Any Oregon Gun Vault laws?

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-01-2012, 06:48 PM   #1
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: San Jose,California
Posts: 79
Liked 14 Times on 8 Posts

Default Any Oregon Gun Vault laws?

Hi Guys,

I live in Kalafornia and I know that down here we must own a "certified" heavy duty gun vault before you are allowed to purchase a firearm (the one law here that I do believe in). My son lives in Oregon and as yet does not own any firearms, but would like to sometime soon. I was thinking about giving him my old non-certified sheet metal gun safe for him to use until he can afford a big boy vault. Do any of you know if Oregon has any requirements about needing to have a gun Vault in order to own a firearm?

Thanks,

__________________
Popgun is offline  
 
Reply With Quote

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here


Old 02-01-2012, 07:44 PM   #2
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Overkill0084's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Weber County, Utah
Posts: 4,282
Liked 2808 Times on 1396 Posts
Likes Given: 289

Default

Seriously? Does CA have a Gun Vault Inspection Team (GVIT?) that comes out and verifies that your safe complies to CA standards? Sounds like what I was told in the UK.
I am fairly certain that OR hasn't gotten that silly yet. But the one Oregonian I know has a very nice safe regardless.

__________________
Cheers,
Greg
USAF Retired
NRA Life Member

"We've replaced what was an exceptional country with a tolerant country. " Greg Gutfeld
Overkill0084 is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2012, 08:03 PM   #3
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: San Jose,California
Posts: 79
Liked 14 Times on 8 Posts

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Overkill0084 View Post
Seriously? Does CA have a Gun Vault Inspection Team (GVIT?) that comes out and verifies that your safe complies to CA standards? Sounds like what I was told in the UK.
I am fairly certain that OR hasn't gotten that silly yet. But the one Oregonian I know has a very nice safe regardless.
What they do is require gun stores to make you prove that you own a certified "Vault" before they are allowed to sell you a firearm. I don't like restrictions on gun ownership or usage, but this one does help keep burglars from stealing and using our firearms for crimes. All they ask is that you own one. I think it may reasonably fit in to the "well regulated Militia" clause to responsibly keep our weapons out of the reach of kids and bad guys; something we all should be concerned with. Maybe I'm wrong on this, and I wasn't happy to have to do it at the time, but I do feel better knowing my firearms are safe and as accessable as I need them to be.
__________________
Popgun is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2012, 08:13 PM   #4
FAA licensed bugsmasher
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
ScottA's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Davenport,IA
Posts: 6,751
Liked 2123 Times on 1151 Posts
Likes Given: 769

Default

That's one of those things I would describe as a very smart move for someone to purchase on their own, but in no way should government be mandating it.

__________________

Scott

Quote:
If you're not representing Jesus in a way that makes people want to hang out with you, you're doing it wrong.
Quote:
Those who refuse to participate in politics shall be governed by their inferiors. -Plato
Regent Holdings What you need to know about silver, gold, and the economy.

Join the NRA
ScottA is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2012, 08:32 PM   #5
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Mongo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Salem,Oregon
Posts: 595
Liked 211 Times on 132 Posts
Likes Given: 649

Default Oregon Vault

There is no law requiring you to own any vault or safe here. I think you have to be a resident here for 90 days to purchase a firearm.( Check with Oregon Firearms Federation .com ) The backround check is almost instant, depending on how busy they are doing transfers. No "waiting period". The "concealed handgun license" does not list a specific pistol so you can carry the pistol of your choice.

__________________
Mongo is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2012, 08:34 PM   #6
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Overkill0084's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Weber County, Utah
Posts: 4,282
Liked 2808 Times on 1396 Posts
Likes Given: 289

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Popgun View Post
What they do is require gun stores to make you prove that you own a certified "Vault" before they are allowed to sell you a firearm. I don't like restrictions on gun ownership or usage, but this one does help keep burglars from stealing and using our firearms for crimes. All they ask is that you own one. I think it may reasonably fit in to the "well regulated Militia" clause to responsibly keep our weapons out of the reach of kids and bad guys; something we all should be concerned with. Maybe I'm wrong on this, and I wasn't happy to have to do it at the time, but I do feel better knowing my firearms are safe and as accessable as I need them to be.
FWIW, I grew up in SoCal (until age 15). My father didn't have a safe. At no point did I shoot up a school. Contrary to popular misconception, children can be taught not to screw with guns. Failing that, they needn't all be kept loaded. I have a safe in a detached garage, however I keep several loaded guns in the house. Interestingly, my son has also failed to shoot up a school. (Though a couple of his school mates were recently arrested for plotting to blow one up. No guns were to be involved, AFAIK.)
__________________
Cheers,
Greg
USAF Retired
NRA Life Member

"We've replaced what was an exceptional country with a tolerant country. " Greg Gutfeld
Overkill0084 is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2012, 08:48 PM   #7
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
BillM's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Amity
Posts: 1,007
Liked 205 Times on 112 Posts
Likes Given: 12

Default

Nope. No vault laws in Oregon. No magazine restrictions, no restrictions
on private sales, shall issue concealed permits, and you can buy all the
suppressors, SBR's and full auto you desire.

__________________
BillM is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2012, 09:12 PM   #8
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: San Jose,California
Posts: 79
Liked 14 Times on 8 Posts

Default

Thanks for the feedback on Oregon and for all your opinions on gun security. I've owned guns for 47 years but it would haunt me if one of my guns were stolen from my home by some gang banger and used against somebody else in a crime.

Geez, I remember when we didn't even have to lock our doors when we went out... ugh, feeling old now.

__________________
Popgun is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2012, 09:48 PM   #9
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Jeepergeo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Arcata,California
Posts: 393
Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Overkill0084 View Post
FWIW, I grew up in SoCal (until age 15). My father didn't have a safe. At no point did I shoot up a school. Contrary to popular misconception, children can be taught not to screw with guns. Failing that, they needn't all be kept loaded. I have a safe in a detached garage, however I keep several loaded guns in the house. Interestingly, my son has also failed to shoot up a school. (Though a couple of his school mates were recently arrested for plotting to blow one up. No guns were to be involved, AFAIK.)
We can teach our own kids, and I'd bet most of the folks on this site do. But you can't necessarily teach the kids of family and friends that might come over to visit or care for your house while you're away. IMO, an unattended and unsecured firearm is a potential problem with those kids (and with bad guys that enter your place uninvited). Better to keep them locked up and have them for another day hunting or at the range.
__________________
"Society’s abuse, misuse, or lack of use of its rights will not impinge upon my rights."

Last edited by Jeepergeo; 02-02-2012 at 01:11 AM.
Jeepergeo is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2012, 09:52 PM   #10
FAA licensed bugsmasher
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
ScottA's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Davenport,IA
Posts: 6,751
Liked 2123 Times on 1151 Posts
Likes Given: 769

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Overkill0084 View Post
FWIW, I grew up in SoCal (until age 15). My father didn't have a safe. At no point did I shoot up a school. Contrary to popular misconception, children can be taught not to screw with guns. Failing that, they needn't all be kept loaded. I have a safe in a detached garage, however I keep several loaded guns in the house. Interestingly, my son has also failed to shoot up a school. (Though a couple of his school mates were recently arrested for plotting to blow one up. No guns were to be involved, AFAIK.)
I'm sure you probably blocked out your misuse of guns from your memory because of the terrible trauma they caused on your young psyche. Maybe you should seek some professional help for that. I'm sure there is some drug or something you can take for your condition.
__________________

Scott

Quote:
If you're not representing Jesus in a way that makes people want to hang out with you, you're doing it wrong.
Quote:
Those who refuse to participate in politics shall be governed by their inferiors. -Plato
Regent Holdings What you need to know about silver, gold, and the economy.

Join the NRA
ScottA is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Firearms Forum Replies Last Post
Gun Vault JD1969 Training & Safety 4 11-02-2011 04:12 PM
Oregon laws Ecthelion Legal and Activism 4 10-07-2011 02:19 AM
Anyone built a vault? DarinCraft The Club House 10 02-17-2011 05:17 AM
Gun Vault bizy The Club House 7 06-20-2010 12:38 PM
Fm1 Vault rifle Steve001627 Gunsmithing Forum 0 05-14-2009 09:28 PM