Any North Carolina attorneys in the house?
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Legal and Activism > Any North Carolina attorneys in the house?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-16-2010, 03:49 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default Any North Carolina attorneys in the house?

I am a CWP holder in NC. My question is this: While it is illegal for me to carry in an establishment that sells alcohol for consumption on the premises, can I carry if the restaurant is closed for the night. I am a restaurant manager and I can't have my firearm with me. I'm kinda sorta ok with that, but my concern is this. Friday night while we were cleaning and closing down, an employee from the restaurant across the parking lot apparently escaped and ran out when three gunmen held the place up. After they robbed everyone they asked for the surveillance video, and then cocked their guns. The poor kid just jetted out the back door as fast as he could. He came to our restaurant for help. Is it only illegal to carry in a restaurant during business hours when they actually serve alcohol. I really sense the need to have my firearm with me while closing down at night. Any info?

In God We Trust. (Everyone else, hands where I can see 'em)

If Obama is the answer, then the question must have been stupid.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 09-16-2010, 04:18 AM   #2
Lifetime Supporting Member
FTF_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Liked 469 Times on 258 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Since that is concerning conceal carry, you can always open carry. I am no Attorney, so don't take my word. Just a suggestion.

Old 09-16-2010, 04:59 AM   #3

Liked 776 Times on 449 Posts
Likes Given: 492

Quote:
Originally Posted by supergus View Post
I am a CWP holder in NC. My question is this: While it is illegal for me to carry in an establishment that sells alcohol for consumption on the premises, can I carry if the restaurant is closed for the night. I am a restaurant manager and I can't have my firearm with me. I'm kinda sorta ok with that, but my concern is this. Friday night while we were cleaning and closing down, an employee from the restaurant across the parking lot apparently escaped and ran out when three gunmen held the place up. After they robbed everyone they asked for the surveillance video, and then cocked their guns. The poor kid just jetted out the back door as fast as he could. He came to our restaurant for help. Is it only illegal to carry in a restaurant during business hours when they actually serve alcohol. I really sense the need to have my firearm with me while closing down at night. Any info?
Not a lawyer...don't play one on TV...cannot offer any advice but do the NC laws distinguish between carrying as a patron and carrying as a proprietor or manager of the establishment? That would be the question I would have for any attorney that I contacted.

"The whole of the Bill (of Rights) is a declaration of the right of the people at large or considered as individuals.... It establishes some rights of the individual as unalienable and which consequently, no majority has a right to deprive them of." (Albert Gallatin of the New York Historical Society, October 7, 1789)

"A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined, but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government." - George Washington

Old 09-16-2010, 05:01 AM   #4

The problem is it's illegal, period, to carry in a restaurant that sells alcohol. I'm just wondering if there's an exclusion for night managers and owners after hours.

In God We Trust. (Everyone else, hands where I can see 'em)

If Obama is the answer, then the question must have been stupid.

Old 09-16-2010, 06:05 AM   #5

Exclamation conceal carry??

If you are the manager what are the chances you will ever be searched by a police officer while acting in that capacity?...almost nil

If you actually do use the weapon in defense of your life.....who gives a rats a$$?

If you are truly scared that something bad might happen and you give deference to the goverments wishes over your right to self-preservation you are not only a coward but a fool.....this is a generalization for every citizen and not particularly aimed at you.

I say carry, be careful and DO NOT BRANDISH your weapon unless you intend to kill. Dont let the owner or anyone else know, this is strictly a personal choice not to be shared with anyone.

You will have the moral high ground if a gang banging punk or some multi-felon crack junkie comes in hell bent on robbing and possibly killing you and ends up stone cold dead. The question you have to answer is "Is it better if I get shot or the criminal?" The law is really irrelevant in this case.

You already have a CCW so getting to work legally is not a concern. The only concern will be after the fact (other guy dead) in which case you can put the gun on the outside of your pants and claim open carry....if you can't claim open carry in the establishment then so be it, you will be alive with the moral high ground....if you can claim open carry then the only thing you have to worry about is getting fired.

Old 09-16-2010, 06:12 AM   #6

Liked 11 Times on 10 Posts

We don't give legal advice on the FTF forum. Please don't take the legal advice given, you get what you pay for and the forum doesn't need to be sucked into any ramifications of said advice.
PLEASE DON'T GIVE LEGAL ADVICE ON HERE!!!!

DON'T BUY DELL!!!!!

BEWARE!!! The toes you step on today may be connected to the ass you kiss tomorrow.

PM Tango about his upcoming SHARTFOO courses.

Old 09-16-2010, 06:49 AM   #7

Liked 27 Times on 21 Posts

Asking for legal advice here on the FT forum is just so......"Denny Crane!"

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ!

"There is no hunting like the hunting of man, and those who have hunted armed men long enough and liked it, never care for anything else thereafter." - Hemingway

“The greatest ignorance is to reject something you know nothing about.”

Old 09-16-2010, 08:30 AM   #8
Retired
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 3094 Times on 1778 Posts
Likes Given: 1320

The best sources for your answer are in NC statutes, and one who practices law in NC. I am familiar with the laws of FL (as a FL CWP holder), but any question I have, I go back to my issuing department or my attorney.

Amendment II:
"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

Life Member NRA
Life Member NAHC
Former President of the ECPT (Eifel Combat Pistol Team)

Old 09-16-2010, 01:40 PM   #9

Liked 780 Times on 418 Posts
Likes Given: 50

No insight on your question but I have worked with Ryan Edwards a few times in the past in NC. And just so happen to have a letter from her on my desk.

Melrose, Seago, and Lay, P.A. Attorneys At Law.

Someone there will be able to give you a straight up answer

I hope I shall possess firmness and virtue enough to maintain what I consider the most enviable of all titles, the character of an honest man.
~George Washington

Old 09-16-2010, 02:38 PM   #10
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 9507 Times on 4091 Posts
Likes Given: 1492

Not legal advice, but the NC Statute that covers this area-

§ 14‑269.3. Carrying weapons into assemblies and establishments where alcoholic beverages are sold and consumed.

(a) It shall be unlawful for any person to carry any gun, rifle, or pistol into any assembly where a fee has been charged for admission thereto, or into any establishment in which alcoholic beverages are sold and consumed. Any person violating the provisions of this section shall be guilty of a Class 1 misdemeanor.

(b) This section shall not apply to the following:

(1) A person exempted from the provisions of G.S. 14‑269;

(2) The owner or lessee of the premises or business establishment;

(3) A person participating in the event, if he is carrying a gun, rifle, or pistol with the permission of the owner, lessee, or person or organization sponsoring the event; and

(4) A person registered or hired as a security guard by the owner, lessee, or person or organization sponsoring the event. (1977, c. 1016, s. 1; 1981, c. 412, s. 4, c. 747, s. 66; 1993, c. 539, s. 165; 1994, Ex. Sess., c. 24, s. 14(c).)

What we have here is... failure- to communicate.