Any New Jerseyans (or anyone) want to enlighten me?
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Legal and Activism > Any New Jerseyans (or anyone) want to enlighten me?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-02-2010, 01:25 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default Any New Jerseyans (or anyone) want to enlighten me?

If anybody read my intro post, you'll know that I'm new to this magical world of stuff that goes boom. If you haven't read it, well, now you know.

Being new, I have very little idea as to what the current statutes and laws are here in New Jersey. I do know that whatever they may be, they suck. I just need/want to know specifically how they suck.

I have tried to do ample research here on the internet, but mostly to no avail. I've come across some PDFs and forum-speak that give me the general idea that any long-gun with a pistol grip is considered an assault weapon under NJ law, meaning I can't have one. It makes me nearly able to fill up a super-soaker (ironically with a pistol grip) with my tears. I've also heard speak of 10 and 15 round limitations on magazines (which it is I'm not sure). I also know that New Jersey is a "May (not)" issue state, which throws (legal) CCW out the window for me.

When I looked at the dates of those posts and PDF files I saw that most of them were many years out of date. If anybody here has any helpful information regarding current laws in my great(ish) state of New Jersey, it'd would be super if you told me. Anything from people currently residing in New Jersey would be super-duper.

Thanks,

Zack

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 04-02-2010, 01:49 AM   #2

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

http://www.state.nj.us/njsp/info/pdf/firearms/062408_title13ch54.pdf

This will help,it is put you to sleep crap to read but it's the real info. Njsp.org has all you need,: to know that you wanna move to somewhere else! eek:

"I pledge allegiance to the flag of the United States of America, and to the republic for which it stands, one nation under God, indivisible, with liberty and justice for all."

The two enemies of the people are criminals and government, so let us tie the second down with the chains of the Constitution so the second will not become the legalized version of the first. Thomas Jefferson

Old 04-02-2010, 02:02 AM   #3

Tell me about it. Good thing Pennsylvania is only a few miles away.

EDIT:

Let's see...based on my quick skim of things it looks like 15 round is the max. That's good, well, relatively. I can have a pistol grip, provided I don't have either, telescoping stock, suppressor (or ability to accept), bayonet mount, or grenade launcher (found that funny). Whether or not that makes a Troy Industries M.C.S. - S.A.S.S. stock illegal I don't know. Now I know why there isn't much talk about guns from people in Jersey, lol.

Last edited by ZackB; 04-02-2010 at 02:17 AM.

Old 04-02-2010, 02:48 AM   #4

Liked 781 Times on 452 Posts
Likes Given: 499

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZackB View Post
If anybody read my intro post, you'll know that I'm new to this magical world of stuff that goes boom. If you haven't read it, well, now you know.

Being new, I have very little idea as to what the current statutes and laws are here in New Jersey. I do know that whatever they may be, they suck. I just need/want to know specifically how they suck.

I have tried to do ample research here on the internet, but mostly to no avail. I've come across some PDFs and forum-speak that give me the general idea that any long-gun with a pistol grip is considered an assault weapon under NJ law, meaning I can't have one. It makes me nearly able to fill up a super-soaker (ironically with a pistol grip) with my tears. I've also heard speak of 10 and 15 round limitations on magazines (which it is I'm not sure). I also know that New Jersey is a "May (not)" issue state, which throws (legal) CCW out the window for me.

When I looked at the dates of those posts and PDF files I saw that most of them were many years out of date. If anybody here has any helpful information regarding current laws in my great(ish) state of New Jersey, it'd would be super if you told me. Anything from people currently residing in New Jersey would be super-duper.

Thanks,

Zack
Zack...some of the info you have is a little incorrect so I'll start at the top. In order to purchase any gun in NJ you first need to get a Firearms ID card. Applications as well as info can be found at the link posted below. If you want to purchase a pistol you must also apply for a pistol purchase permit, they are $2 each and allow you to purchase 1 handgun every 31 days (that sucks but has been in force since Nov 2009). FID and pistol purchase permits are "shall" issue subject to the usual domestic violence, felony conviction and mental illness prohibitions. Law says police chief has 30 days to issue but most towns take 8-12 weeks. Again that really sucks but nothing you can do except maybe call them every day after 30 days.

As far as permitted weapons go there are restrictions on certain long arms. NJ is the original AWB state, in fact the Clinton ban was based on NJ laws. In short, NJ has published a list of rifles that are prohibited as well as any rifle that is substantially similar. Substantially similar is loosely defined but generally interpreted to be an exact replica or a rifle that has a detachable magazine and more than 1 of the following: pistol grip, collapsible stock, bayonet lug, flash suppresoor or a barrel threaded for one. So any AR is basically limited to a post ban configuration but they are not banned outright, that is unless they bear a Colt rollmark or the words AR-15, CAR-15 or some other mark similar to that found on the listed rifle. A complete list can also be found at the link below. If all else fails vist a local gun shop and ask what they are permitted to sell, it is just about impossible to find a NJ legal AR at any online dealer.

All guns are limited to using max 15 round capacity mags, again this makes online purchase a real pain. It is illegal for a dealer to modify what comes from the manufacturer, so if a gun ships with a 30 round mag the seller cannot legally pull it out of the box and substitute 3 tens. What's ironic about all of that is the fact that most people in NJ now own big bore semi-autos because most 9mms ship with either a CA legal 10 rnd mag or a 16+, the former being a bit underwhelming and the latter illegal. So no XDm in NJ if you're a Springer fan, no Glock 17, CZ or many other popular models either. Also, hollow point ammo is forbidden for anything but range use so it's FMJ only, even for HD. So in their wisdom the NJ legislature now has a bunch of people defending themselves with 230 gr FMJ .45 ACP, overpenetration anyone?

CCW?...just erase that fantasy from your mind to avoid the anger and frustration, it just ain't gonna happen unless you're retired LEO, connected , or related to a local politician or police chief.

Hope this helps...best of luck

NJ Guns

New Jersey State Police - Firearms Information
"The whole of the Bill (of Rights) is a declaration of the right of the people at large or considered as individuals.... It establishes some rights of the individual as unalienable and which consequently, no majority has a right to deprive them of." (Albert Gallatin of the New York Historical Society, October 7, 1789)

"A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined, but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government." - George Washington

Old 04-02-2010, 04:30 PM   #5

Thanks for the info. In terms of pistols, I've also been a Sig fan, specifically 226/229s. From what I've seen, they can/do ship with 10 rounders so that shouldn't be a problem...relatively.

I was always under the impression that pistol grips were out of the question, but so long as I can find a fixed stock option, I should be fine...relatively.

I knew CCW wasn't going to be a possibilty unless some new change comes about with Mr. Christie. That doesn't really seem to be on his to-do list right now, and even if it were, he doesn't seem like th kind of guy who wants to reform NJ gun laws.

The one thing I haven't been able to find a clear answer on thus far is the shippment of mods to NJ. Let's say I decide to go with a M1A (a rifle specifically stated as exempt from the list of prohibited weapons) and I want to throw a rail on there. For the sake of example, let's say I go with a Troy Battle Rail. The site says it can't ship to a few states, mine included. Does that mean I have to have it shipped to a dealer then buy it from them? Or does it mean I should give up on that idea all together?

I have a feeling I already know the answer...uhg.

Old 04-02-2010, 05:27 PM   #6

Liked 781 Times on 452 Posts
Likes Given: 499

Forgot about the 226, I believe that is available with 15 rnd mags. Be careful with the M1A as I believe the match target model is permitted but the mil-spec and SOCOM may still be banned. Any banned item applies to you receiving directly and to any FFL. Most will simply refuse delivery or tranfer to avoid legal problems and probably not be to happy with you. If the Troy rail system has a bayo lug it is also illegal in NJ. Even bb guns with "evil gun features" are prohibited.

Hope you are wrong about Christie but time will tell.
"The whole of the Bill (of Rights) is a declaration of the right of the people at large or considered as individuals.... It establishes some rights of the individual as unalienable and which consequently, no majority has a right to deprive them of." (Albert Gallatin of the New York Historical Society, October 7, 1789)

"A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined, but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government." - George Washington

Old 04-03-2010, 02:58 AM   #7

Definately no bayonet lug/mount on the Troy Battle Rail. I'd prefer to go with the S.A.S.S. stock but I feel like that'd be pushing my luck, assuming I could ever get my hands on it.

Pennsylvania looks nicer and nicer everyday.