Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Legal and Activism > Anti-Gun Propaganda, Aimed at New Parents

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-25-2011, 01:04 PM   #11
FTF_MODERATOR.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 8630 Times on 3739 Posts
Likes Given: 1324

FWIW, I used to teach basic defensive shooting to an average of one Nurse a month. Usually after they had a patient that was a BAD victim of an assualt. My rec to them was a S&W J frame .38 Special. 4 boxes of wadcutter, one of HP. Take them to our place in the country, teach two handed LOOK at the target- at 7 yards, they were chopping the center of the silouhette by the 2nd box. Soft spot in my heart for tough ladies.

<--- Your Moderators at our weekly Troll Hunt

Old 02-25-2011, 01:07 PM   #12

funny thing is right after the doctor visit, I went to the FFL dealer and signed the papers for my new gun. Been waiting almost a week and a half even my wife is on edge that my gun isn't here yet she wants to shoot it as much as i do. I might start my daughter up on a .22 lr bolt action when she is around 5 or 6 and teach her good gun handling and the dos and donts.

Nothing say's "don't enter my house" like a newscast that says "home invader killed with Tomahawk"

Dalai Lama: "If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun." <- now that made my day

You cant go to war against the Gorgatron with your keys all... willy nilly...

Last edited by ApacheBunny; 02-25-2011 at 01:15 PM.

Old 02-25-2011, 06:13 PM   #13

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

I started teaching my children about guns as early as 4.
One rule was: If you ever want to see one of our guns, just ask me. I will stop what I'm doing and help you but never touch it if I'm not there.
It served them well as my son kept himself safe in 3 tours in Iraq and one in the other sandbox.(Cant spell afganastan)

Old 02-25-2011, 06:18 PM   #14
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 5732 Times on 3358 Posts
Likes Given: 4877

My chiropractor (sp) and i were chatting about my new BP revolvers, last time i was there. He seems like a decent fellow.

Just hand that propaganda back and tell them you already bought toilet tissue this week.

Dead Bears, the only good kind.

Old 02-25-2011, 06:29 PM   #15

When each of my daughters were young, like 6 or 7, the doctors/nurses had asked the girls directly if there were guns in the home, then wrote it down. They didn't ask the wife or I. Kinda pissed me off. Ignorance and near sightedness.

Old 02-25-2011, 06:52 PM   #16
FTF_MODERATOR.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 2688 Times on 1405 Posts
Likes Given: 216

How about this? The next time you are in the doctor's office hand them a sheet of paper that reads;

I have read and thoroughly agree with the warnings about gun ownership as given to me on____ date in this medical facility. I have divested myself of all firearms and ammunition (bullets). Since I no longer have the ability to defend myself, my spouse and our child, I will now hold this facility financially responsible for any harm that may come from a criminal entering my residence. Expect a certified letter to follow giving you offical notice of liability should I be unable to defend my household. A copy of this letter has been forwarded to (XYZ law firm) who stands ready to pursue a civil action against the members, management and owners of this facility.

Signed _____________

This ought to get their panties in a bunch.

In life, strive to take the high road....It offers a better field of fire.
"Robo is right" Fuzzball

Old 02-25-2011, 07:23 PM   #17

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ApacheBunny View Post
Well I Don't know if this has been posted up before, but during a doctor visit for my daughter (9 months old now), they took her measurements then handed us a yellow piece of paper that reads "Firearms Injury Prevention" which pretty much tells you to remove all guns from your house or your child will die no matter what, or I can just type out everything it says.

More than 44 million Americans own firearms. Of the 192 million firearms owned in the United States, 65 million are handguns. Research shows guns in homes are a serious risk to families. - What research?

A gun kept in the home is 43 times more likely to kill someone known to the family than kill someone in self defense. - I really thought we debunked this since all the "gun owners" never owned a gun. In the tests the "perp" knew where to find the gun which makes the data unreliable, and very untrue.

A gun kept in the home triples the risk of homicide. - I seriously doubt this

The risk of suicide is 5 times more likely if a gun is kept in the home. - They sure love their "times more likely" crap, a gun in the home wont advocate suicide, that's the mental health of the person not the gun psychically telling the person to shoot themselves.

Advice to Parents
The best way to keep your children safe from injury or death from guns is to never have a gun in the home. -bs

Do not purchase a gun, especially a handgun. - why shouldn't I

Remove all guns present in the home. - they fail to make a valid argument about this.

Talk to your children about the dangers of guns, and tell them to stay away from guns. - yeah because it works real well like telling them about drugs and how drugs are bad.

Find out if there are guns in the homes where your children play. If so, talk to the adults in the house about the dangers of guns to their families. - yeah go make yourself sound like a huge nag and hand them this yellow slip, I have seen a few gun related deaths in my area where kids were playing around in the house alone with access to guns this would strengthen the liberal argument but it was because the adult wasn't responsible and didn't teach their kid proper gun safety.

For those who know of the dangers of guns but still keep a gun in the home.

Always keep the gun unloaded and locked up. - this isn't a law rather than a suggestion, and not needed if you teach a kid proper gun safety, only reason you would need a gun case and lock is if you leave them alone in the house, but also don't keep a round in the chamber (duh).

Lock and store the bullets in a separate place. - misuse of the word. No point, plus in case of home invasion would stack the odds against you and further strengthen the liberal/democratic argument that guns don't save you, yes because the ammo was on the other side of the house

Make sure to hide the keys to the locked boxes. - I think I said enough above

Well I hope this complex nugget of horse poo sure stirred things up. the pediatricians here handed this out to new parents during check ups, and since most new parents are concerned about their child's well being, I am sure this would scare them into doing exactly what it says unless they actually have common sense. (hope this wasn't too long and that it didn't just go in circles)

Or how about we do this instead familiarize your child with guns. Make guns something so common that they are not a freaking mystery that the child has to solve, and then shoot all the ... Sorry that was about to turn into a mean rant

Not all of us are trophy hunters.

Old 02-25-2011, 07:52 PM   #18
Ain't she sweet?
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 6960 Times on 4187 Posts
Likes Given: 8374

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonM View Post
shoulda told him that he is 9000 times more liekly to kill your child than your gun and ask him for the blue sheet warning of the dangers of taking your kid to him.
Quote:
Doctors 9000 times more likely to accidently kill you then a gun!
Doctors

(A) The number of physicians in the U.S. is 700,000.

(B) Accidental deaths caused by Physicians per year are 120,000.

(C) Accidental deaths per physician is 0.171

Statistics courtesy of U.S. Dept of
Health and Human Services.

Now think about this:

Guns:
(A) The number of gun owners in the U.S. is 80,000,000. (Yes, that's 80 million)

(B) The number of accidental gun deaths per year, all age groups, is 1,500.

(C) The number of accidental deaths per gun owner is .0000188

Statistics courtesy of FBI

So, statistically, doctors are approximately 9,000 times more dangerous than gun owners.

Fact: Not everyone has a gun but almost everyone has at least one doctor.
This means you are over 9,000 times more likely to be killed by a doctor as by a gun owner

Jon hit it on the head here. Seriously, this is very true.

All this gun info being handed out at the doctor's office must be new. I never encountered anything like this when I was raising my kids.

Old 02-25-2011, 08:17 PM   #19

Liked 2357 Times on 1054 Posts
Likes Given: 2263

"1 in 4 parents don't have a proper car seat to take the baby home from the hospital"

Hell when I was born they didn't have a car seat for me and the car had a steel dash board and no seat belts. Oh and there wasn't any safety warnings written on the barrels of my dads guns.

Old 02-25-2011, 10:08 PM   #20

Liked 650 Times on 368 Posts
Likes Given: 5125

[QUOTE=rjd3282;453286]"1 in 4 parents don't have a proper car seat to take the baby home from the hospital"

Hell when I was born they didn't have a car seat for me and the car had a steel dash board and no seat belts. Oh and there wasn't any safety warnings written on the barrels of my dads guns.[/QUOTE]

QUOTED FOR TRUTH...................NO Sl-l!T, HUH?

"they may get me in a rush, but not before i turn your head into a canoe....." -Kurt Russell (Wyatt Earp) in Tombstone

"if it was up to me, i'd like to see, this country run,
the way it used to be, the way it oughta be, just like it's done, OUT HERE.........WAY OUT HERE." -Josh Thompson, country music singer http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D0sYnro_3Rc
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P3R00rlA0S0&NR=1

PEOPLE TEND TO ACT LIKE SHEEP, BOY I LOVE MUTTON! -Me