Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Legal and Activism > Another mass shooting, another lunatic wielding an "assault rifle"

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-13-2012, 02:45 AM   #81
Kostriker
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Bigcountry02's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Southwest
Posts: 6,154
Liked 1778 Times on 1014 Posts
Likes Given: 3562

Default

Something happened to him and what caused the change is the question at hand. Something with going to Hawaii?

Now ABC is posting the following:

http://abcnews.go.com/US/oregon-mall-shooter-jacob-roberts-quit-job-hawaii/story?id=17946938

Oregon Mall Shooter Jacob Roberts Quit His Job, Seemed 'Numb' Before Attack

She said that in recent weeks, Roberts quit his job at a gyro shop in downtown Portland and sold all of his belongings, telling her that he was moving to Hawaii. He had even purchased a ticket.

Roberts, who attended Clackamas Community college, posted a picture of himself on his Facebook page firing a gun at a target. His Facebook photo showed graffiti in which the words "Follow Your Dreams" were painted over with the word "Cancelled."

"I just talked to him, stayed the night with him, and he just seemed numb if anything. He's usually very bubbly and happy, and I asked him why, what had changed, and said 'nothing.' He just had so much he had to do before he went to Hawaii that he was trying to distance himself from Portland," Sansburn said.

Police are still seeking information about what Roberts was doing in the days leading up to the shooting. They said today they believe Roberts stole the gun he used in the rampage from someone he knew. They have searched his home and his car for other clues into his motive.

__________________
Bigcountry02 is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 07:02 AM   #82
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Ohio
Posts: 460
Liked 114 Times on 88 Posts
Likes Given: 111

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by rustyruger View Post
Would it matter if a CCW holder did come to the front and take one of these pukes out while it was going down? Would he/she be admired or demonized for their bravery? When's the last time anyone has seen anything coming from the mainstream news that casts gun owners in a positive light??? Nope, we're gonna be damned if we do and damned if we don't so get used to it folks. Just wait 'till Jan. 2nd and beyond. You ain't seen nuttin' yet? Somebody is going to have more "latitude" in what they do after that date!
There is certainly some truth to this post.


One of the tough things about these "events" is that the shooter is heavily armed and wearing armor. So... a ccw guy is going to have a very tough time - even getting close to the shooter - he's heavily armed - AR this time. The theater guy had many guns. And heavy armor.
So a ccw person is almost hopelessly outgunned -- he'd just about have to make a head shot - from a long distance. Can you see yourself creeping up on this nut who is spraying an AR - creeping up with your normal carry -- a pistol! So it is a long range pistol shot. It's just so unlikely to happen - to be successful.

Myself.. I carry against a robbery or assault .. something close up ... where a pistol will do some good. And that is what CCW is about - self defense - close up. But against some nut sitting behind planters, wearing armor, and spraying high power long distance rounds... Not my plan. It would not be a security guard's plan either. A security guard with a pistol would be fodder for that guy...

And another thing that is so crazy about this stuff is that the guy arms himself heavily - and adds body armor, so he can't be stopped. Then he stops himself with a suicide shot! Any sense here??
Why doesn't the guy just shoot himself first - he'd be dead - which is what he wants anyway...
But these people are crazy... no amount of reasoning can work.. they don't reason normally.
__________________
Colby is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 09:06 AM   #83
Big TOW
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
WebleyFosbery38's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Irish Settlement CNY
Posts: 5,136
Liked 5678 Times on 2811 Posts
Likes Given: 6041

Default

Man drives drunk, wrecks and Kills 4. Woman speeds through intersection while putting on Makeup, 5 dead. Suicide attempt kills 6 in fire. These headlines happen every day and rarely rise up to the level of National News. 1000 deaths and we hear little, 2 folks get killed by a nutcase and every news source amplifies it X1000! Sensationalism sells papers but doesn't represent any norm that needs redress legislatively.

Im sad for those that were killed and sorry for their families but this isnt an epidemic, its an Isolated incident by a now deceased criminal. They point at an AR as the villain yet fail to recognize any responsibility of the shooter, his friends, Family, coworkers or others that knew he was as stable as Nitro, instead they blame an inanimate object!!!!

I suppose thats much easier than real introspect! The Goobermint response to a mindless outcry from a criminal stealing someone elses legal property and killing someone with it will be to try to eliminate the attractant not the felon.

PS, our local News reported it correctly a few minutes ago, "He killed 2 with a stolen semi-automatic Rifle".

__________________

Last edited by WebleyFosbery38; 12-13-2012 at 09:08 AM.
WebleyFosbery38 is offline  
wizard63 Likes This 
Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 12:29 PM   #84
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
pnolans's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Colorado Springs,CO
Posts: 202
Liked 38 Times on 32 Posts
Likes Given: 233

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonM View Post
Being a stolen firearm doesnt fit the liberal mantra. Might be why there is a news blackout on it.

Actually, it does. Very well, in fact.

One reason to keep your guns locked up is to keep people from stealing them.
Because they're yours, AND to keep them from being used in a crime.

I have a beloved relative who says that there is NO reason for people to own "assault rifles". period.

This fits right into her argument.
__________________
pnolans is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 12:32 PM   #85
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
pnolans's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Colorado Springs,CO
Posts: 202
Liked 38 Times on 32 Posts
Likes Given: 233

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by WebleyFosbery38 View Post
Man drives drunk, wrecks and Kills 4. Woman speeds through intersection while putting on Makeup, 5 dead. Suicide attempt kills 6 in fire. These headlines happen every day and rarely rise up to the level of National News. 1000 deaths and we hear little, 2 folks get killed by a nutcase and every news source amplifies it X1000! Sensationalism sells papers but doesn't represent any norm that needs redress legislatively.

[snip]................[/endsnip]
PS, our local News reported it correctly a few minutes ago, "He killed 2 with a stolen semi-automatic Rifle".
I've been arguing this point for years. More people are killed every year by drunk drivers, probably every month , in the USA, than by guns.


Slightly different view... I've been wanting to get my CCW here in El Paso County, CO for a while now.
the shooting at the Aurora movie theater pushed me over the line. I've done the paperwork, done the interview with the Sheriff's dept, and just waiting. They warned it would be 90 days. at least. Feb, March?


Using the liberal logic, we should outlaw cars.
__________________

Last edited by pnolans; 12-13-2012 at 12:35 PM.
pnolans is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 12:43 PM   #86
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
pnolans's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Colorado Springs,CO
Posts: 202
Liked 38 Times on 32 Posts
Likes Given: 233

Default

I pointed out on my Facebook page that Murder, Genocide, etc... did NOT start with the invention of guns. Read history. Genkhis Khan, Attila the Hun, Vlad the Impaler, Richard the Lionhearted, the Visigoths that sacked Rome. If you believe the Bible, Cain kill Abel. He didn't have a gun. I think he used a rock.

No guns. Lots of innocent deaths. Lots of crazies going on killing sprees.

Marijuana has been illegal for years, did it stop anyone from smoking?

I hate to sound like a bumper sticker, but really, "Outlaw guns, and only outlaws will have guns"

__________________
pnolans is offline  
TDS92A Likes This 
Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 12:47 PM   #87
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
orangello's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 19,170
Liked 5731 Times on 3358 Posts
Likes Given: 4877

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colby View Post
And another thing that is so crazy about this stuff is that the guy arms himself heavily - and adds body armor, so he can't be stopped. Then he stops himself with a suicide shot! Any sense here??
Why doesn't the guy just shoot himself first - he'd be dead - which is what he wants anyway...
But these people are crazy... no amount of reasoning can work.. they don't reason normally.
This part makes perfect sense to me; he was trying to gain control of his "on/off switch" regardless of what he did. Childish, "I'm gonna do whatever i want, and you can't stop me, but i will stop when and how i want". I believe it was reported that he had had some personal setbacks recently, girlfriend dumped him or something like that. Some people don't deal well with setbacks; too bad he couldn't just beer his way through it.
__________________

Dead Bears, the only good kind.

orangello is offline  
Vikingdad Likes This 
Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 01:13 PM   #88
FAA licensed bugsmasher
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
ScottA's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Davenport,IA
Posts: 6,637
Liked 2009 Times on 1091 Posts
Likes Given: 724

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colby View Post
There is certainly some truth to this post.


One of the tough things about these "events" is that the shooter is heavily armed and wearing armor. So... a ccw guy is going to have a very tough time - even getting close to the shooter - he's heavily armed - AR this time. The theater guy had many guns. And heavy armor.
So a ccw person is almost hopelessly outgunned -- he'd just about have to make a head shot - from a long distance. Can you see yourself creeping up on this nut who is spraying an AR - creeping up with your normal carry -- a pistol! So it is a long range pistol shot. It's just so unlikely to happen - to be successful.

Myself.. I carry against a robbery or assault .. something close up ... where a pistol will do some good. And that is what CCW is about - self defense - close up. But against some nut sitting behind planters, wearing armor, and spraying high power long distance rounds... Not my plan. It would not be a security guard's plan either. A security guard with a pistol would be fodder for that guy...

And another thing that is so crazy about this stuff is that the guy arms himself heavily - and adds body armor, so he can't be stopped. Then he stops himself with a suicide shot! Any sense here??
Why doesn't the guy just shoot himself first - he'd be dead - which is what he wants anyway...
But these people are crazy... no amount of reasoning can work.. they don't reason normally.
He wasn't wearing armor.
__________________

Scott

Quote:
If you're not representing Jesus in a way that makes people want to hang out with you, you're doing it wrong.
Quote:
Those who refuse to participate in politics shall be governed by their inferiors. -Plato
Regent Holdings What you need to know about silver, gold, and the economy.

Join the NRA
ScottA is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 01:21 PM   #89
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
StainlessSteel215's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: PA
Posts: 821
Liked 282 Times on 204 Posts
Likes Given: 192

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by orangello View Post
This part makes perfect sense to me; he was trying to gain control of his "on/off switch" regardless of what he did. Childish, "I'm gonna do whatever i want, and you can't stop me, but i will stop when and how i want". I believe it was reported that he had had some personal setbacks recently, girlfriend dumped him or something like that. Some people don't deal well with setbacks; too bad he couldn't just beer his way through it.
Yupp I agree. Something in this person's life flipped his sanity switch and forced him into this insane mission......tactfully carried out (sort of). He obviously didnt wait to be taken alive or stopped before he carried out his mission.....and wanted to end his miserable life on HIS terms. It really is like a child going on a tantrum. May the families have a speedy recovery and one day come to terms with this tragedy.
__________________
StainlessSteel215 is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 02:08 PM   #90
Dispossessed Mechwarrior.
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
TDS92A's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Southern Alabama or Northern Florida, the jury is still out.
Posts: 1,940
Liked 1340 Times on 792 Posts
Likes Given: 3358

Default

It is this kind of logic that stuns the Libtards. They just cannot seem to wrap their heads around it.


Quote:
Originally Posted by pnolans View Post
I pointed out on my Facebook page that Murder, Genocide, etc... did NOT start with the invention of guns. Read history. Genkhis Khan, Attila the Hun, Vlad the Impaler, Richard the Lionhearted, the Visigoths that sacked Rome. If you believe the Bible, Cain kill Abel. He didn't have a gun. I think he used a rock.

No guns. Lots of innocent deaths. Lots of crazies going on killing sprees.

Marijuana has been illegal for years, did it stop anyone from smoking?

I hate to sound like a bumper sticker, but really, "Outlaw guns, and only outlaws will have guns"
__________________
The difficult I do immediately, the impossible takes me a few minutes longer.
NRA, U.S. Army (Ret), AGA, F&AM
A Person has to stand for something, or they will fall for anything.
How different the new order would be if we could consult the Veteran instead of the Politician - Henry Miller
The Soldier, above all other people, prays for peace, for he must suffer and bear the deepest wounds and scars of war. - Gen. Douglas MacArthur
TDS92A is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Firearms Forum Replies Last Post
"Assault Rifle" Ban ZeusEcho General Rifle Discussion 54 10-09-2012 03:56 PM
What's A Good, Budget "Non-Assault" Rifle? ryevick Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion 87 01-11-2012 03:37 AM
Brady's Latest Video: "Assault Clips" CA357 Legal and Activism 25 05-01-2011 02:46 AM
"Assault Rifle" Used for Self Defense dglockster The Club House 31 01-02-2010 11:40 PM
No to HR 1022, "Assault Weapons Ban"" right winger Politics, Religion and Controversy 0 10-27-2008 01:54 AM