Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Legal and Activism > Another mass shooting, another lunatic wielding an "assault rifle"

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-12-2012, 02:55 AM   #31
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 16 Times on 11 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick1967 View Post
At least there are not real shooters doing this. This was obviously not a real gun person. 60 rounds fired and 2 casualties? Thank God they didn't know how to shoot. Too bad there wasn't a real gun guy there to stop him. It would have ended a lot quicker.
I hope someone with a ccw took the shooter out.
Old 12-12-2012, 03:00 AM   #32
Lifetime Supporting Member
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 7299 Times on 4239 Posts
Likes Given: 9403

So how are the concealed carry laws there? I know OR is a shall-issue state, but how easy is it to obtain a permit in Portland? I did see this on Wiki

Quote:
The cities of Portland, Beaverton, Tigard, Oregon City, Salem, and Independence have banned loaded firearms in all public places

Old 12-12-2012, 03:14 AM   #33

Liked 4781 Times on 2677 Posts
Likes Given: 1736

Why are gun owners refering to these semiautomatic rifles as Assault Weapons. This is the label placed on these rifles by the antigun movement. These are nothing more than general purpose sporting rifles. Right or wrong the 24 hour news cycle will be on another issue very soon. Lets hope it is not another firearms misuse by a felon.

Old 12-12-2012, 03:16 AM   #34

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by StainlessSteel215 View Post
Amen fellas, and I will also reflect on the fact that in my original post I was also thinking insensitively....placing the role of the AR before the sympathy for the people lost today....and those scarred by what they experienced.
Ya think maybe some of those mall survivors wil be going down to get their CCW tomorrow???

Old 12-12-2012, 03:26 AM   #35

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default Would It Matter?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vikingdad View Post
So how are the concealed carry laws there? I know OR is a shall-issue state, but how easy is it to obtain a permit in Portland? I did see this on Wiki
Would it matter if a CCW holder did come to the front and take one of these pukes out while it was going down? Would he/she be admired or demonized for their bravery? When's the last time anyone has seen anything coming from the mainstream news that casts gun owners in a positive light??? Nope, we're gonna be damned if we do and damned if we don't so get used to it folks. Just wait 'till Jan. 2nd and beyond. You ain't seen nuttin' yet? Somebody is going to have more "latitude" in what they do after that date!

Old 12-12-2012, 03:33 AM   #36

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vikingdad View Post
Couldn't be worse than Calif.

Last edited by rustyruger; 12-12-2012 at 03:36 AM.

Old 12-12-2012, 03:45 AM   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by rustyruger View Post
Would it matter if a CCW holder did come to the front and take one of these pukes out while it was going down? Would he/she be admired or demonized for their bravery? When's the last time anyone has seen anything coming from the mainstream news that casts gun owners in a positive light??? Nope, we're gonna be damned if we do and damned if we don't so get used to it folks. Just wait 'till Jan. 2nd and beyond. You ain't seen nuttin' yet? Somebody is going to have more "latitude" in what they do after that date!
OK, so with that in mind, if you were carrying (I think it would have to be illegally since carrying a loaded firearm in Portland is prohibited according to Wiki) and had the opportunity to take this guy out, how would you go about this?

I am thinking cap the SOB and then re-conceal your sidearm (making sure to pick up your brass as well) and exit with all of the other people acting like nothing happened. Say nothing and move along with the crowd. There is every likelihood that you would be caught on camera, but maybe change your shirt or take off/put on a hat to evade detection? I guess it would be a crime to do that, but if you put a stop to the carnage and all what would be the outcome?

Imagine the same scenario in that Aurora theater. You have entered the building illegally (meaning carrying concealed in violation of the posted signs) and then (hypothetically) shot and killed the bad guy before he killed as many people as he would have had you not intervened. Then what? Do you confess to the police? What would happen to you then? Would you be charged and possibly be jailed?

In another unrelated scenario, a person commits a crime by entering the country illegally, he stops a crime in progress. Does he get deported now that he was discovered? Or should he let the crime in progress continue so that he will not be detected and deported?

Old 12-12-2012, 03:47 AM   #38

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gone_South View Post
Dammit to hell & back. These idiots are going to ruin it for us law abiding firearms owners. The media sure as hell ain't gonna help matters.
WRONG! The mainstream news media WILL help matters-just not the matters we want. It's gonna help their anti-gun agenda. The anti's just got a breath of fresh air by this tragic event.

Old 12-12-2012, 03:47 AM   #39

Quote:
Originally Posted by rustyruger View Post
Couldn't be worse than Calif.
Or it could be the same. It is quite simple to obtain a permit in some counties here in CA, but virtually impossible in others (such as Santa Clara County where I reside) unless you are wealthy and politically connected. The thing is that the permit is valid statewide regardless of which county it is issued in. This is true of Oregon as well.

Old 12-12-2012, 03:56 AM   #40

Liked 244 Times on 166 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick1967
Where are all the ccw people? You would think a properly trained ccw holder could have easily stopped some nut that cant hit anything.
I think some malls dont allow cc, when taking the cc they tell us no carry in emotional places aka movie theater. Alot of malls have theaters and dont allow cc. I thought of this, i have a permit but dont carry cause all i own is a 1911 and thats too big to cc. Wish texas had open carry