Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Legal and Activism > Another gun owner targeted by the media is robbed

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-19-2013, 10:39 AM   #31
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 1764 Times on 987 Posts
Likes Given: 1302

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chainfire View Post
Thousands of firearm owner's were exposed. The law of averages would see to it that some of the were robbed. A lot of people who's addressed was not released were also robbed during the same time frame.

When you apply for a permit or license that is a public record, don't be surprised if it is released to the public.

I work for a government agency and everything in my records, including my rate of pay, and personnel record is available to anyone who would be interesting in looking. The only thing redacted is my SSN. I don't whine about it, I understood that going in.
Your CCW is not public record. Florida law prohibits it. FS 790.0601

Old 01-19-2013, 11:02 AM   #32

Liked 188 Times on 131 Posts
Likes Given: 303

"No correlation [between this theft and the map being posted]."

Sure...yea....A guy breaks into a house that is known to have guns and steals A GUN SAFE....bull ****.

Old 01-19-2013, 11:03 AM   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doc3402 View Post
Your CCW is not public record. Florida law prohibits it. FS 790.0601
In the areas whose CCW holders were posted, they ARE public record.

Old 01-19-2013, 12:51 PM   #34
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1764 Times on 987 Posts
Likes Given: 1302

Quote:
Originally Posted by LUBrowningBoy View Post
I understand that. I was responding to chainfire and what appears to be a misunderstanding about his Florida permit.
Old 01-19-2013, 06:15 PM   #35
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 588 Times on 378 Posts
Likes Given: 535

They actually tried making CCW's public in my county. It was shot down by the sheriff's department before anyone else could rally against it. The argument lasted about 1 week, then the department basically said that they would refuse to turn over the records as a matter of public safety. End of discussion.

"You can have it fast, cheap and accurate...pick any two."~Me

"Educate and Inform the whole mass of the people. Enable them to see that it is their interest to preserve peace and order, and they will preserve them." ~Thomas Jefferson
LUBrowningBoy Likes This 
Old 01-19-2013, 07:39 PM   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cattledog View Post
They actually tried making CCW's public in my county. It was shot down by the sheriff's department before anyone else could rally against it. The argument lasted about 1 week, then the department basically said that they would refuse to turn over the records as a matter of public safety. End of discussion.
I see that you're from Oregon...Have you seen this making its way around the internet?

"Do you agree or disagree with Linn County Sheriff Tim Mueller's stance in his letter to Vice President Joe Biden -- that neither he nor his deputies will help federal agents take firearms away from law-abiding citizens? "It is the position of this sheriff," he said in the letter," that I refuse to participate, or stand idly by, while my citizens are turned into criminals due to the unconstitutional actions of misguided politicians."
582546_461130327274863_885504529_n.jpg  

Old 01-19-2013, 09:13 PM   #37

Liked 477 Times on 293 Posts
Likes Given: 228

Quote:
"No correlation [between this theft and the map being posted]."

Sure...yea....A guy breaks into a house that is known to have guns and steals A GUN SAFE....bull ****.
Quote:
Quote:
I see that you're from Oregon...Have you seen this making its way around the internet?

"Do you agree or disagree with Linn County Sheriff Tim Mueller's stance in his letter to Vice President Joe Biden -- that neither he nor his deputies will help federal agents take firearms away from law-abiding citizens? "It is the position of this sheriff," he said in the letter," that I refuse to participate, or stand idly by, while my citizens are turned into criminals due to the unconstitutional actions of misguided politicians."
As fellow NY'er I have to question your opinions. I reside on Long Island and where you are in Lockport is extremely close to anti gun Canada, so maybe that may be effecting your opinions.

Firstly being retired LE I was assigned at one point in my career to a forensic burglary response team and did handle many burglary calls. This was in a city with a population of over 8 million people, unlike where you reside with a 20,000+ population. We responded to burglary jobs all day long and even I with my experience would never state that there was no correlation with the burglaries due to the publication of those maps. You and I both haven't a clue regarding what information the perpetrator(s) had, or why these residences were chosen. It is a real possibility that the newspaper did influence these burglaries to take place. So it's your statement that is bull**** using your term.

Secondly, no doubt these names were published at a time when they were legally considered public record. It's nice that you believe in following the letter of the law and are so willing to accept the paper's decision to do what they did without question and without considering if it was an unethical thing that they did. Your silence regarding whether, or not you believe this law to be improper if deafening. This rag of a paper has now pulled the list and the law will be changed effective in March and this was done without a single complaint from you.

Thirdly, you're asking for an opinion regarding what Sheriff Mueller stated, but neglect to give your own. My opinion is he is 100% correct. When the feds tell LE to disregard the law and not to detain, or even question illegals even though that's part of their job when it comes to protecting us. Or allow illegals to have a driver's license and in many cases have killed our citizens. How about letting anyone vote without photo ID, which makes our elections as much of a farce as those in 3rd world countries, or dictatorships. He has every right not to enforce federal law when he wants to enforce others legitimately. I won't even go into Fast and Furious, which has the highest office in the land running interference.

Being a fellow NY resident of yours has me very concerned regarding my gun rights. The politicians crossed the line due to their confidence that many in this state would agree with them. From what you've written and being on this forum with that attitude tells me that I'm in bigger trouble than what I originally thought. I've called NY Senator Kemp Hannon's office in Albany twice and spoke to his secretary, who was very nice to me and personally sent me an email with a copy of the bill that passed a short time after and promissed to contact me with any other info. I did politely tell her how he screwed himself by voting for it. I've even sent Rep. Pete King, who happens to live nearby an email as well. I've signed 3 petitions against this bill. I'm also a member of the NRA since 1972 and a life member for the past 25 years. Even though they're talking about changes in the law regarding active and retired LE I believe whatever considerations that are given to us should be given to all. What have you done lately?

Last edited by gunsmoke11; 01-20-2013 at 02:19 AM.
dog2000tj Likes This 
Old 01-19-2013, 10:33 PM   #38

Liked 3734 Times on 1824 Posts
Likes Given: 13269

Quote:
what I pointed out ... day 1 when the Journal news posted that information ... was that they were including residences outside the boundaries of Rockland and Westchester Counties. So though it may have been public record and legal for the Journal News to print such information, it may actually have been a criminal act to post the information of pistol permit holders living in NJ, DE, VA, MA, PA, CT and MA

and lets not forget that the public records included LE and Military members as well

Public record or not they posted that information and are most certainly accomplices to any criminal activity as a result of their actions!

Member: NRA GOA

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
Est sularas oth mithas

"either way, you were guilty by association, so you were smited...." JD

LUBrowningBoy Likes This 
Old 01-20-2013, 01:46 AM   #39
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 588 Times on 378 Posts
Likes Given: 535

Quote:

I did see that and am more proud of my quirky state than ever! Last I saw, sheriffs from a few other rural counties either signed onto the same letter or wrote their own similar ones. Very encouraging to have some LEO's on board.

"You can have it fast, cheap and accurate...pick any two."~Me

"Educate and Inform the whole mass of the people. Enable them to see that it is their interest to preserve peace and order, and they will preserve them." ~Thomas Jefferson

Old 01-20-2013, 05:25 AM   #40

Quote:
Originally Posted by gunsmoke11 View Post
As fellow NY'er I have to question your opinions. I reside on Long Island and where you are in Lockport is extremely close to anti gun Canada, so maybe that may be effecting your opinions.

Firstly being retired LE I was assigned at one point in my career to a forensic burglary response team and did handle many burglary calls. This was in a city with a population of over 8 million people, unlike where you reside with a 20,000+ population. We responded to burglary jobs all day long and even I with my experience would never state that there was no correlation with the burglaries due to the publication of those maps. You and I both haven't a clue regarding what information the perpetrator(s) had, or why these residences were chosen. It is a real possibility that the newspaper did influence these burglaries to take place. So it's your statement that is bull**** using your term.

Secondly, no doubt these names were published at a time when they were legally considered public record. It's nice that you believe in following the letter of the law and are so willing to accept the paper's decision to do what they did without question and without considering if it was an unethical thing that they did. Your silence regarding whether, or not you believe this law to be improper if deafening. This rag of a paper has now pulled the list and the law will be changed effective in March and this was done without a single complaint from you.

Thirdly, you're asking for an opinion regarding what Sheriff Mueller stated, but neglect to give your own. My opinion is he is 100% correct. When the feds tell LE to disregard the law and not to detain, or even question illegals even though that's part of their job when it comes to protecting us. Or allow illegals to have a driver's license and in many cases have killed our citizens. How about letting anyone vote without photo ID, which makes our elections as much of a farce as those in 3rd world countries, or dictatorships. He has every right not to enforce federal law when he wants to enforce others legitimately. I won't even go into Fast and Furious, which has the highest office in the land running interference.

Being a fellow NY resident of yours has me very concerned regarding my gun rights. The politicians crossed the line due to their confidence that many in this state would agree with them. From what you've written and being on this forum with that attitude tells me that I'm in bigger trouble than what I originally thought. I've called NY Senator Kemp Hannon's office in Albany twice and spoke to his secretary, who was very nice to me and personally sent me an email with a copy of the bill that passed a short time after and promissed to contact me with any other info. I did politely tell her how he screwed himself by voting for it. I've even sent Rep. Pete King, who happens to live nearby an email as well. I've signed 3 petitions against this bill. I'm also a member of the NRA since 1972 and a life member for the past 25 years. Even though they're talking about changes in the law regarding active and retired LE I believe whatever considerations that are given to us should be given to all. What have you done lately?
No offense sir, but I think you misunderstood my posts. As a criminal justice major and prospective LEO...Yes, I do support CONSTITUTIONAL laws...I feel that providing the public with CCW info is a breach on the reasonable expectation of privacy you are guaranteed by the 4th amendment as established by the SCOTUS.

I may have jumped the gun on the break in and stating my opinion of a correlation. But often times the simplest answer is right.

As for my residency, I get enough of that in Missouri...Yes..I live closer to Canada than any other U.S. State...but I am on this board for a reason...I am not anti-gun. I have been active in the shooting sports in this region since I was 12 and at 21, am now registering as a coach with the SCTP to take a group of kids to Sparta, IL (Following the footsteps of my brother and me) to compete in the sporting clays nationals

As for the Sheriff, Wyoming, and Missouri (Where I go to college and am a member of the University Shooting Team) I whole-heartedly support them. An unconstitutionl law is not a law.
167188_1431976854296_1679156738_875840_2550914_n.jpg   64647_1325274266798_6790751_n.jpg   36349_1250085747132_4429161_n.jpg   111.jpg