Another gun owner targeted by the media is robbed - Page 3
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Legal and Activism > Another gun owner targeted by the media is robbed

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-18-2013, 11:22 PM   #21
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 4545 Times on 2263 Posts
Likes Given: 1032

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chainfire

No Tex, I do not agree with what they did. It was a mean and nasty attack
intended to bring discomfort to the gun owners. I will however, defend their right to compile and publish any public record. The press misuses their powers at times and it is a shame, but if we limited their ability to publish we would be far worse off.
I disagree. It should be illegal for a newspaper to publish gun owner information, such as their address, and they'll be just fine, America will be just fine, and it will only hurt morons with an anti gun agenda.

The media can't publish medical records, nor can they publish information relating to minors... I think the press is still doing okay.

I'd be more worried about the self imposed censorship the press flaunts these days, and one sided agendas.

The business of the news is to report facts, not sway public policy.

Arbitrary enforcement of the law is the mark of tyranny. Citizens will always fight against it.

People Like This 
Old 01-18-2013, 11:35 PM   #22

Liked 159 Times on 96 Posts

Well now it's gone, as of today! Cats out of the bag though, morons!

"Ed Tagliaferri, the executive vice president of DKC Media, forwards this statement from Janet Hasson, Publisher of the Journal News, the New York state-based newspaper that published the “gun map” featuring the names and addresses of gun owners in Westchester and Rockland counties:

“With the passage this week of the NYSAFE gun law, which allows permit holders to request their names and addresses be removed from the public record, we decided to remove the gun permit data from lohud.com at 5 pm today.

While the new law does not require us to remove the data, we believe that doing so complies with its spirit. For the past four weeks, there has been vigorous debate over our publication of the permit data, which has been viewed nearly 1.2 million times by readers. One of our core missions as a newspaper is to empower our readers with as much information as possible on the critical issues they face, and guns have certainly become a top issue since the massacre in nearby Newtown, Conn. Sharing as much public information as possible provides our readers with the ability to contribute to the discussion, in any way they wish, on how to make their communities safer.

We remain committed to our mission of providing the critical public service of championing free speech and open records.”

The United States Constitution © 1791. All Rights Reserved

Old 01-19-2013, 01:26 AM   #23
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 588 Times on 378 Posts
Likes Given: 535

We'll there ya go. Problem solved. Except any savy criminal would have saved a copy of the map. :/

Also, mosin...the media's job used to be reporting the facts. Facts dont' bring in enough dollars, so now they go for whatever gets them attention. Look at this rag. Most of the country had no idea they existed until this mess and now im sure they've got record hits on their site.

"You can have it fast, cheap and accurate...pick any two."~Me

"Educate and Inform the whole mass of the people. Enable them to see that it is their interest to preserve peace and order, and they will preserve them." ~Thomas Jefferson
Mike72 Likes This 
Old 01-19-2013, 01:42 AM   #24

Liked 4545 Times on 2263 Posts
Likes Given: 1032

I think all you SOB's need to send me a hundred bucks.

Think of the kids!!!!!!

Arbitrary enforcement of the law is the mark of tyranny. Citizens will always fight against it.

People Like This 
Old 01-19-2013, 01:47 AM   #25

Liked 26 Times on 19 Posts
Likes Given: 18

@ MoreAltitude...The duty of the media as I understand it is to report news as free from prejudice and bias as possible. Since when is a list of people who happen to own a certain type of property news? Where's the lists of folks with riding lawnmowers, espresso machines, LED tv's? They're nowhere because this type of list serves nobodys political agenda.

Because certain information is available to the the public for the asking is a far cry from justification for publishing it in a newspaper.

Old 01-19-2013, 02:48 AM   #26

Liked 210 Times on 128 Posts
Likes Given: 293

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chainfire View Post
Thousands of firearm owner's were exposed. The law of averages would see to it that some of the were robbed. A lot of people who's addressed was not released were also robbed during the same time frame.

When you apply for a permit or license that is a public record, don't be surprised if it is released to the public.

I work for a government agency and everything in my records, including my rate of pay, and personnel record is available to anyone who would be interesting in looking. The only thing redacted is my SSN. I don't whine about it, I understood that going in.
Chain, once again sir you stir the fecal matter on this forum, and once again you are annoying me. Your opinion is important, as is all Americans opinion. However, you have constantly showed your colors as a liberal and I think you may be in the wring forum for the way you think. What if your county newspaper posted your address where thieves could find your prized 1911 you have a pic of as your avatar and criminal Carl decided to take it, when you were home, to go buy his meth? He hurts or kills you, are your opinions in the matter going to be the same as they are now? I'm guessing not.
Old 01-19-2013, 05:55 AM   #27
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 588 Times on 378 Posts
Likes Given: 535

Casey, chainfires views are not only valid but invalu....wait lemme change into my fortune cookie costume..... Chainfires comments are invaluable because they challenge our own. Without a contradicting tone, we cannot fully realize our own convictions. Voices like his, and their acceptance is what make this forum better than most.

"You can have it fast, cheap and accurate...pick any two."~Me

"Educate and Inform the whole mass of the people. Enable them to see that it is their interest to preserve peace and order, and they will preserve them." ~Thomas Jefferson

Old 01-19-2013, 06:26 AM   #28

Liked 210 Times on 128 Posts
Likes Given: 293

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cattledog View Post
Casey, chainfires views are not only valid but invalu....wait lemme change into my fortune cookie costume..... Chainfires comments are invaluable because they challenge our own. Without a contradicting tone, we cannot fully realize our own convictions. Voices like his, and their acceptance is what make this forum better than most.
I like your fortune cookie costume tone. However, I just feel the chain in here to stir the crap and doesn't always make great arguments about what he says. Maybe this is just me, however, I dont think it is. He has made several statements on his posts that are very "left" leaning and I feel that maybe his views may be better suited somewhere where others may feel the same. What is happening in this country are the rights of Americans are being stripped and what happened with the newspaper was immoral and should be illegal. If the same thing had happened to him and he was robbed, or possibly worse, then I feel his position on the matter would change quite a bit. Its easy to see how it is ok, until it happens to you. And like I said, I feel that his opinion is valuable to the forum, however, he could mix it up some and put some posts up in support of fellow gun owners and the second amendment...just my two shillings tho...

Old 01-19-2013, 11:14 AM   #29

Liked 2050 Times on 1072 Posts
Likes Given: 392

Another thread dissolved into members grinding on each other. Just what this forum needs more of........

Old 01-19-2013, 11:37 AM   #30

Liked 2050 Times on 1072 Posts
Likes Given: 392

Originally Posted by Cattledog

well said

Last edited by chloeshooter; 01-19-2013 at 11:42 AM.