Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   Legal and Activism (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f97/)
-   -   another death (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f97/another-death-66710/)

unclebear 06-19-2012 05:52 PM

another death

http://www.wave3.com/story/18820162/shot-gun-goes-off-in-home-wife-dies-husband-arrested

THIS IS WHY THERE ARE SAFETY STEPS!
This is tragic and this guy will have to live with this for the rest of his life, but if he had taken the time to check his weapon like your suppose to, to make sure where the barrel of his weapon was pointed, none of this would have ever happened. But because of his stupidity someone is dead, I know this BS happens every year but it pisses me off! :mad:

therewolf 06-19-2012 06:15 PM

It's kind of like "Just say no." to drugs.

Just unload it. Every time. Do it till it's a task

committed to muscle memory. It should be second nature.

Always assume a gun is loaded. Then unload it.

Every time you pick it up...

Gh0zt36 06-19-2012 06:44 PM

Poor guy , I'm sure he didnt mean to kill his wife . :/

Overkill0084 06-19-2012 06:55 PM

Quote:

Indiana State Police say 31-year-old John Henry Rutherford was showing off a new shotgun to neighborhood boys inside his house when he pulled the trigger. It is unclear why that happened, but the gun was loaded and his wife, Jody Rutherford, who was in the same room was hit. She was pronounced dead at the scene. The dad of three was arrested and charged with reckless homicide.
Unbelievable.

kytowboater 06-19-2012 07:05 PM

Damn. Safety always I hate seeing this in the news.

levelcross 06-19-2012 07:13 PM

Such a shame, such a waste, I can't imagine having to go thru life knowing what I had done.

Safety, Safety, SAFETY....

Sniper03 06-19-2012 07:16 PM

I feel sorry for the guy! It seems to truly be a "STUPID" accident. Sometimes it never ceases to amaze me that weapon owners have very little skills when it comes to gun handling. We can become very complacent sometimes because of the commonality of handling weapons. I too have shown some of my weapons that I normally keep loaded at the house all the time. But if so I never unload them in the same room or even area where the other folks are. If they are in the living room and the weapon is close I always take it somewhere else to handle the weapon for unloading. And remember the trigger finger is the best safety we have. NEVER NEVER in the trigger guard or trigger area unless we are ready to fire the weapon or have inspected it more than once physically and visually. But even then muzzle control in a safe direction. My Heart goes out to the guy! I can only imagine the ramifications psychologically as well as with the children and living with that one second of his life for the rest of his life. I am sure he would gladly trade places in his mind and can not believe what happened! Someone lost their Momma also! And their Dad as they knew him. He will never be the same!
God Bless him and the family! Safety! Safety! Safety! All of us have been a little careless on occasion truth known!

tiberius10721 06-19-2012 07:29 PM

It's a shame when someone else has to die because of your stupidity . Is it really that hard to keep the barrel pointed in a safe direction and hit the slide release and inspect the chamber and tubular magazine to see if there are any shells in a pump shotgun. If this idiot had just had the common sense to point the barrel in a safe direction his wife would still be alive. This pisses me off. Adults should know better . There is no excuse for this there is so much information out there on gun safety available everywhere. I agree with the charges that were filed against him.:mad:

PanBaccha 06-19-2012 07:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Overkill0084 (Post 841915)
Unbelievable.

Whoa, what the hell? This is what happens when 'familiarity' with doing things suddenly go awry. One must approach the trigger as if it is the first time they came near one. But the lost of a wife, the tragic upset in the kid's lives, and face with prison is much too much to punish one who is already punished for life. :(:(

Rick1967 06-19-2012 07:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PanBaccha (Post 841989)
Whoa, what the hell? This is what happens when 'familiarity' with doing things suddenly go awry. One must approach the trigger as if it is the first time they came near one. But the lost of a wife, the tragic upset in the kid's lives, and face with prison is much too much to punish one who is already punished for life. :(:(

I agree. Yes it was negligent. But it was still an accident. Right?