Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Legal and Activism > Ammo Hoarding Driving me Crazy

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-03-2013, 05:27 PM   #31
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 61 Times on 32 Posts

I'm glad I bought about 700 rds when I saw this coming. I usually go through 100-150 rds each trip to range , twice a month, to keep in practice.

Now the range has ammo shortage, you are limited to one box per day per customer, so I am bringing one box of my own each time, but have cut down on number of trips to conserve.

Old 02-03-2013, 06:24 PM   #32

Liked 78 Times on 48 Posts
Likes Given: 121

I have horded ammo for each of my guns besides my 10/22. Kicking myself in the ass now that I canted find .22lr for less that $60 a brick.
I will admit I knew keeping stock on hand was wise, but never imagined .22 would ever be cleaned off the shelves in my area. Now I'm resorting to loading up on the 50 and 100 round little blocks.

Although I'm upset over the situation, I do not get upset at anyone other than myself. I should of known better because I'm sure we all seen this coming.

"I tremble for my country when I reflect that God is just and that his justice cannot sleep forever."--Thomas Jefferson

“To the distinguished character of patriot, it should be our highest glory to add
the more distinguished character of Christian.” --George Washington

"If we make peaceful revolution impossible, we make violent revolution inevitable." --John F. Kennedy

People Like This 
Old 02-03-2013, 07:10 PM   #33
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 5138 Times on 2930 Posts
Likes Given: 4344

Because of a large purchase several years ago, I haven't had to Buy .22 LR for several years.

But back a few years ago, you could get a 1/2 case of 2500 rds or a full case of 5000 for darn near 1/2 the price of buying it by the box. When it becomes available again in quantity, folks that use a lot of it should consider saving up for a while ad getting a 1/2 or full case.

I was fortunate enough to get in on an auction several years ago of a dealer's stock who had declared bankruptcy. I managed to buy 5 cases (25,000 rounds) of Remington Golden bullet for around 1/2 of dealer cost. I still have 2 cases.

"Politics is the art of the possible" Otto von Bismarck.

Old 02-03-2013, 07:15 PM   #34
Concealed Carry Instructor
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 871 Times on 579 Posts
Likes Given: 222

I remember, every hardware store had a display of Winchester in a huge wooden box, 5,000 rounds or something like that. Love to stumble across that again.

Old 02-03-2013, 07:27 PM   #35
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 186 Times on 120 Posts
Likes Given: 288

Quote:
Originally Posted by TNFrank View Post
Sounds to me like you need to stop cryin' and learn how to reload. I sold off the majority of my 9x19mm to get funds to buy an air rifle. I've only got 300 rounds left BUT I have enough supplies to load that 300 rounds 4x so in reality it's like having 1500 rounds. Free yourself from being a slave to the ammo manufactures and learn how to roll your own.
I "roll my own" but am out of primers, (small pistol) If the manufacturers ever catch up, this will never happen again. I fully intend to do a little hoarding. I kind of saw this coming, but never thought the shortage would be like this. You snooze you lose.

GOA,NRA
Old Bolt Actions,
One round at a time.

"This is my Mosin,
There are many like it,
And three or so are mine."

Old 02-03-2013, 07:34 PM   #36
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 132 Times on 83 Posts
Likes Given: 136

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hightide View Post
I don't know where to put this post, but in the area of the proposed new legislation seems appropriate.

I am in the Cincinnati, Ohio area and all the gun shops in our area are about sold out of ammo. I went to an empty indoor range and it was empty because nobody had ammo! Most of our ranges are empty due to the weather outside, and the ammo shortage inside.

So, the bottom line is that people who don't shoot are hoarding the ammo!

This is a good analogy...I hate to golf...but it is like me running into every golf shop in town and buying up all the balls so that nobody can golf!!!! So, bottom line, the people who don't shoot need to quit hoarding. If they just want to look at it, or feel it,, or whatever, there are snap caps and dummy rounds for that purpose!
I believe you're off base on this one. The reason ranges are empty is because shooters can't afford to replace what they burn, or refuse to get ripped off, like myself.

Old 02-03-2013, 07:34 PM   #37
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 5138 Times on 2930 Posts
Likes Given: 4344

Youse gize need to get together with 8-10 of your shooting buddies and buy in lots of 50K online.

If 10 folks each buy 5k, you've got that 50K order. Ya might even get a good break at the LGS for that quantity.

Call a few online sellers on the telephone and negotiate prices for bulk orders.

Those of you west of the Mississippi should google "Miwall" in CA and check them out.

"Politics is the art of the possible" Otto von Bismarck.

Last edited by locutus; 02-03-2013 at 07:41 PM.

Old 02-03-2013, 07:57 PM   #38

Liked 4788 Times on 2678 Posts
Likes Given: 1736

The gun show prices on 1,000 rds of .223 was $1,000 dollars. Now if you don't reload and can not make bullets, ask the Boss for a raise.

Old 02-04-2013, 02:32 AM   #39

Liked 8 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 24

Quote:
Originally Posted by locutus View Post
I was fortunate enough to get in on an auction several years ago of a dealer's stock who had declared bankruptcy. I managed to buy 5 cases (25,000 rounds) of Remington Golden bullet for around 1/2 of dealer cost. I still have 2 cases.
Very cool purchase!

Old 02-09-2013, 04:19 PM   #40

Liked 12 Times on 8 Posts

I hate the guys who like to feel really smart by being a smart ass. I don't have a great stockpile of ammo either. I shoot everyday so that I am good enough to take the next guys if the need arises.

Right now it's like a bad snow storm has just hit and all the milk and toilet paper have been bought up. The manufacturers are having a hard time keeping up with the histeria right now. Won't be long and everybody will be all bought out. The gun stores I deal with are more worried about sales after the glut ends. There worried they won't be able to make thier leases.

The one fellow is right. You need to reload. After the glut there will be a lot of stuff on the market from folks unloading the extra stuff they didn't really need. Kind of like the housing crash.