Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Legal and Activism > Ammo Hoarding Driving me Crazy

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-03-2013, 03:28 AM   #21
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 8 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 24

Quote:
Originally Posted by locutus View Post
When ammo becomes readily available again maybe you'll have sense enough to stock up this time so you won't have to cry and whine next time there's a shortage.

I have no sympathy for the folks that keep a few boxes on hand and believe that they will always be able to traipse on down to Wally World and get all they want.
I'm not sure how much you shoot, but if you are not feeling this shortage, I assume not much.

Old 02-03-2013, 03:40 AM   #22

Liked 4781 Times on 2677 Posts
Likes Given: 1736

Shooters who are very active firearms users are mostly target shooters. Target shooters always have a backwash of unused but usable ammo. They are guys who can never pass up a bargain on a case of ammo. That is even at the risk of a messy divorce.
So when supplies become tight, they can tread water longer than Obama can make it rain.

Old 02-03-2013, 03:49 AM   #23

Liked 34 Times on 27 Posts

Wonder what I am? I average 2000 rounds per caliber 22lr,.380,38,9mm,40,45,223(5.56). I do not reload(thinking about it though). My wife and I shoot at least every 2 weeks, usually 200-300 rounds. I buy ammo in bulk when the prices are low, and small quantities when a descent price not great. Occasionally I'll go to the country with sons and shoot over a thousand rounds at a time.
Do they have a hoarders anonymous club? Nah, probably wouldn't go.

Old 02-03-2013, 03:58 AM   #24

Liked 8 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 24

I formally apologize to anyone I might have offended by my crack about hoarding! In good weather I shoot 800-1,000 rounds per month, a bit less in the winter. I'm feeling the crunch of this shortage.

Old 02-03-2013, 04:05 AM   #25

Liked 34 Times on 27 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hightide View Post
I formally apologize to anyone I might have offended by my crack about hoarding! In good weather I shoot 800-1,000 rounds per month, a bit less in the winter. I'm feeling the crunch of this shortage.
I would probably feel the same way if I couldn't replenish my stock. Luckily I've not had any issues in my area. I may have be a little pickier , but I can still get everything. Online bulk isn't happening right now though. I'm not paying those prices. Or if you do get a descent price per round they gouge you in shipping(Cheaper than Dirt).

Old 02-03-2013, 04:13 AM   #26

Quote:
I don't know where to put this post, but in the area of the proposed new legislation seems appropriate.

I am in the Cincinnati, Ohio area and all the gun shops in our area are about sold out of ammo. I went to an empty indoor range and it was empty because nobody had ammo! Most of our ranges are empty due to the weather outside, and the ammo shortage inside.

So, the bottom line is that people who don't shoot are hoarding the ammo!

This is a good analogy...I hate to golf...but it is like me running into every golf shop in town and buying up all the balls so that nobody can golf!!!! So, bottom line, the people who don't shoot need to quit hoarding. If they just want to look at it, or feel it,, or whatever, there are snap caps and dummy rounds for that purpose!
I have to disagree....Bulk buying of ammo is prudent if one thinks our fine government will make new ammo impossible to get. 300 million arms are pretty useless if there is no ammo...You have to ask yourself, why does the domestic government, non military, need to buy more ammo than was used in the italian theater in WWII...

It is not the citizens demand for ammo that need be questioned but our governments.

"Arms in the hands of citizens may be used at individual discretion... in private self-defense."

-John Adams

Old 02-03-2013, 04:14 AM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by kytowboater View Post
A lot of people in the Lexington area, bought ammo in calibers they don't own, specifically to sell them at a higher price.
Ammo is the ultimate trade good if/when the currency becomes worthless.

"Arms in the hands of citizens may be used at individual discretion... in private self-defense."

-John Adams

Old 02-03-2013, 04:14 AM   #28

Liked 93 Times on 59 Posts
Likes Given: 57

New shooters are pretty much SOL. Either they can't find it or, when they do, it's 2-3 times the pre-Sandyhook cost....or more. It's funny what happens to people when the threat of a "ban" comes along. I was somewhat lucky in the AR portion (post SH) of it all but am having a hard time finding 308 brass. I have gobs projectiles/powder/primers though. The procrastinator has no one to blame but themselves. Yes it sucks not being able to find any 22lr bunny busters on the once plentiful shelves but, that's my own dam fault for not "hoarding" when I was able to.

Old 02-03-2013, 02:12 PM   #29

Liked 4718 Times on 2693 Posts
Likes Given: 3735

Quote:
I'm not sure how much you shoot, but if you are not feeling this shortage, I assume not much.
You're right. I don't shoot as much as I did in my younger days.

But I still go through 1200 to 1500 centerfire rounds per month.

And I've got enough reloading components to maintain this level for a couple of years.
Old 02-03-2013, 03:24 PM   #30

Liked 2149 Times on 1450 Posts
Likes Given: 1172

Quote:
Define "not much"
I walk out my back door & shoot at least a couple times a week--

Texan By Birth & Choice
USMC/VIET NAM VET