Amendment to the Constitution
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Legal and Activism > Amendment to the Constitution

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-30-2011, 01:51 PM   #1
JTJ
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 2129 Times on 1168 Posts
Likes Given: 635

Default Amendment to the Constitution

Copy this and email it to anyone you can.

Congressional Reform Act of 2011

1. Term Limits. 12 years only, one of the possible options below..

A. Two Six-year Senate terms
B. Six Two-year House terms
C. One Six-year Senate term and three Two-Year House terms

2. No Tenure / No Pension. A Congressman collects a salary while in office and receives no pay when they are out of office.

3. Congress (past, present & future) participates in Social Security.

All funds in the Congressional retirement fund move to the Social Security system immediately. All future funds flow into the Social Security system, and Congress participates with the American people.

4. Congress can purchase their own retirement plan, just as all Americans do.

5. Congress will no longer vote themselves a pay raise. Congressional pay will rise by the lower of CPI or 3%.

6. Congress loses their current health care system and participates in the same health care system as the American people.

7. Congress must equally abide by all laws they impose on the American people.

8. All contracts with past and present Congressmen are void effective 10-1-11

The American people did not make this contract with Congressmen. Congressmen made all these contracts for themselves.

Serving in Congress is an honor, not a career. The Founding Fathers envisioned citizen legislators, so ours should serve their term(s), then go home and back to work.

Patron Member NRA
"I would not be an old man if I had not been an armed young man." JTJ
I am not older than dirt but the rocks were bigger and there were more of them when I was a kid.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 04-30-2011, 01:57 PM   #2
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1175 Times on 510 Posts
Likes Given: 2978

It will never happen. Nice idea though.

“If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.”Samuel Adams

Old 04-30-2011, 03:10 PM   #3

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Don is right, as usual. As long as they are the ones who would vote on this they would never vote to be mere mortals!! Honor is pretty much a thing of the past!!

"I pledge allegiance to the flag of the United States of America, and to the republic for which it stands, one nation under God, indivisible, with liberty and justice for all."

The two enemies of the people are criminals and government, so let us tie the second down with the chains of the Constitution so the second will not become the legalized version of the first. Thomas Jefferson

Old 04-30-2011, 03:37 PM   #4

Liked 3735 Times on 1824 Posts
Likes Given: 13269

Quote:
Originally Posted by JTJ View Post

1. Term Limits. 6 years only, one of the possible options below..

A. Two 3-year Senate terms
B. Six 3-year House terms
C. One 3-year Senate term and 3 year House term

2. No Tenure / No Pension. A Congressman collects a salary while in office and receives no pay when they are out of office.

All funds in the Congressional retirement fund move to the Social Security system immediately. All future funds flow into the Social Security system, and Congress participates with the American people.

5. Congress will no longer vote themselves a pay raise. Congressional pay will be cut 20% and remain there.

6. Congress loses their current health care system and participates in the same health care system as the American people.

The American people did not make this contract with Congressmen. Congressmen made all these contracts for themselves.

Serving in Congress is an honor, not a career. The Founding Fathers envisioned citizen legislators, so ours should serve their term(s), then go home and back to work.
I made a few changes

Member: NRA GOA

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
Est sularas oth mithas

"either way, you were guilty by association, so you were smited...." JD

Old 04-30-2011, 03:48 PM   #5

Liked 31 Times on 22 Posts
Likes Given: 4

I cannot count the number of times I've gotten this in my email. Great idea, but CA357 nailed it......Won't happen.

Besides, opening the Constitution to Amendment is a dangerous thing considering all those in this Country that want to Fundamentally Change America!!

People get the government they deserve.

Old 04-30-2011, 03:59 PM   #6

Liked 763 Times on 442 Posts
Likes Given: 461

We cannot rely on the self appointed ruling class to police themselves. The only real, viable solution is to enforce our rights as voters...if a candidate doesn't live up to his campaign promises...vote them out of office...period!

The challenge will be getting the initial majority that will put an end to all the entitlement spending and government giveaways that are nothing more than bribes paid to stay in office. Once political office is no longer a job for life then, and only then, our elected officials will respond to the wishes of the people. Thumbing your nose at half of America because you have bought off the other half should be political suicide...not resume enhancement.

"The whole of the Bill (of Rights) is a declaration of the right of the people at large or considered as individuals.... It establishes some rights of the individual as unalienable and which consequently, no majority has a right to deprive them of." (Albert Gallatin of the New York Historical Society, October 7, 1789)

"A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined, but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government." - George Washington

Old 04-30-2011, 06:34 PM   #7
bkt

Liked 1305 Times on 664 Posts
Likes Given: 151

7/8 of that is fine.

I don't agree with any term limits, even for President. If the electorate can't be bothered with paying enough attention to know when too much is enough, nothing will help us.

Old 04-30-2011, 10:14 PM   #8

Sounds like an awesome plan, but it will never be enacted

Old 04-30-2011, 11:09 PM   #9

Liked 1171 Times on 703 Posts
Likes Given: 369

I might get a bit too in the weeds but I see a few potential issues.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JTJ View Post

1. Term Limits. 12 years only, one of the possible options below..

A. Two Six-year Senate terms
B. Six Two-year House terms
C. One Six-year Senate term and three Two-Year House terms
Question on this. What if a 12 year senator wants to run for President? Are they able to serve 2 more terms as President? Kinda makes sense to me because it's a different branch of government.

It's wrong to retroactively change things on people, this includes people who are in congress. Just make it going forward.

Great idea. I do suggest letting them add to a TSP account while they are in congress, much like active duty gets, no government match.

5. Congress will no longer vote themselves a pay raise. Congressional pay will rise by the lower of CPI or 3%.
First it should repeal the last amendment that only allows pay changes to happen after the next congressional election. This backfired during the potential furlough. Congress can't legally not be paid, because of that amendment. I would change it from CPI or 3% to 1/2 of what the annual military pay raise with a ballot question with each new congress to allow the voting public to make the choice on increasing it to the same as the military pay raise.

Why not let them join the same plan as every other federal employee?

Sounds good but creates issues. They have insider info. They should not be allowed to invest in stocks while a member of congress.

Too vague, doesn't have meaning

The people may not have "made" the contract. But they have the choice in who gets to make the contract. We just keep choosing the worst possible people.

"Good people drink good beer."
Hunter S. Thompson

Old 05-01-2011, 12:31 AM   #10

Liked 713 Times on 381 Posts
Likes Given: 48

I agree 100% but they tried a vote like that a while back. This is, they wording it a little like that but for one to win it had to have X number of votes. The votes were so spread out between all the options, nothing got the required number of votes. They smiled and said they tried and called it a good day's work. A$$ Holes....