Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   Legal and Activism (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f97/)
-   -   Amendment to the Constitution (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f97/amendment-constitution-41944/)

JTJ 04-30-2011 02:51 PM

Amendment to the Constitution

Copy this and email it to anyone you can.

Congressional Reform Act of 2011

1. Term Limits. 12 years only, one of the possible options below..

A. Two Six-year Senate terms
B. Six Two-year House terms
C. One Six-year Senate term and three Two-Year House terms

2. No Tenure / No Pension. A Congressman collects a salary while in office and receives no pay when they are out of office.

3. Congress (past, present & future) participates in Social Security.

All funds in the Congressional retirement fund move to the Social Security system immediately. All future funds flow into the Social Security system, and Congress participates with the American people.

4. Congress can purchase their own retirement plan, just as all Americans do.

5. Congress will no longer vote themselves a pay raise. Congressional pay will rise by the lower of CPI or 3%.

6. Congress loses their current health care system and participates in the same health care system as the American people.

7. Congress must equally abide by all laws they impose on the American people.

8. All contracts with past and present Congressmen are void effective 10-1-11

The American people did not make this contract with Congressmen. Congressmen made all these contracts for themselves.

Serving in Congress is an honor, not a career. The Founding Fathers envisioned citizen legislators, so ours should serve their term(s), then go home and back to work.

CA357 04-30-2011 02:57 PM

It will never happen. Nice idea though.

pandamonium 04-30-2011 04:10 PM

Don is right, as usual. As long as they are the ones who would vote on this they would never vote to be mere mortals!! Honor is pretty much a thing of the past!!

dog2000tj 04-30-2011 04:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JTJ (Post 495980)

1. Term Limits. 6 years only, one of the possible options below..

A. Two 3-year Senate terms
B. Six 3-year House terms
C. One 3-year Senate term and 3 year House term

2. No Tenure / No Pension. A Congressman collects a salary while in office and receives no pay when they are out of office.

All funds in the Congressional retirement fund move to the Social Security system immediately. All future funds flow into the Social Security system, and Congress participates with the American people.

5. Congress will no longer vote themselves a pay raise. Congressional pay will be cut 20% and remain there.

6. Congress loses their current health care system and participates in the same health care system as the American people.

The American people did not make this contract with Congressmen. Congressmen made all these contracts for themselves.

Serving in Congress is an honor, not a career. The Founding Fathers envisioned citizen legislators, so ours should serve their term(s), then go home and back to work.

I made a few changes :cool:

dunerunner 04-30-2011 04:48 PM

I cannot count the number of times I've gotten this in my email. Great idea, but CA357 nailed it......Won't happen.

Besides, opening the Constitution to Amendment is a dangerous thing considering all those in this Country that want to Fundamentally Change America!!

Jpyle 04-30-2011 04:59 PM

We cannot rely on the self appointed ruling class to police themselves. The only real, viable solution is to enforce our rights as voters...if a candidate doesn't live up to his campaign promises...vote them out of office...period!

The challenge will be getting the initial majority that will put an end to all the entitlement spending and government giveaways that are nothing more than bribes paid to stay in office. Once political office is no longer a job for life then, and only then, our elected officials will respond to the wishes of the people. Thumbing your nose at half of America because you have bought off the other half should be political suicide...not resume enhancement.

bkt 04-30-2011 07:34 PM

7/8 of that is fine.

I don't agree with any term limits, even for President. If the electorate can't be bothered with paying enough attention to know when too much is enough, nothing will help us.

Dwood85 04-30-2011 11:14 PM

Sounds like an awesome plan, but it will never be enacted

Yunus 05-01-2011 12:09 AM

I might get a bit too in the weeds but I see a few potential issues.

Quote:

Originally Posted by JTJ (Post 495980)

1. Term Limits. 12 years only, one of the possible options below..

A. Two Six-year Senate terms
B. Six Two-year House terms
C. One Six-year Senate term and three Two-Year House terms
Question on this. What if a 12 year senator wants to run for President? Are they able to serve 2 more terms as President? Kinda makes sense to me because it's a different branch of government.

It's wrong to retroactively change things on people, this includes people who are in congress. Just make it going forward.

Great idea. I do suggest letting them add to a TSP account while they are in congress, much like active duty gets, no government match.

5. Congress will no longer vote themselves a pay raise. Congressional pay will rise by the lower of CPI or 3%.
First it should repeal the last amendment that only allows pay changes to happen after the next congressional election. This backfired during the potential furlough. Congress can't legally not be paid, because of that amendment. I would change it from CPI or 3% to 1/2 of what the annual military pay raise with a ballot question with each new congress to allow the voting public to make the choice on increasing it to the same as the military pay raise.

Why not let them join the same plan as every other federal employee?

Sounds good but creates issues. They have insider info. They should not be allowed to invest in stocks while a member of congress.

Too vague, doesn't have meaning

The people may not have "made" the contract. But they have the choice in who gets to make the contract. We just keep choosing the worst possible people.

CourtJester 05-01-2011 01:31 AM

I agree 100% but they tried a vote like that a while back. This is, they wording it a little like that but for one to win it had to have X number of votes. The votes were so spread out between all the options, nothing got the required number of votes. They smiled and said they tried and called it a good day's work. A$$ Holes....