Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Legal and Activism > am i off base here?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-02-2013, 03:35 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 172 Times on 103 Posts
Likes Given: 281

Default am i off base here?

Here is my thinking...the president of this country takes an oath to uphold and protect the constitution, I'm assuming all lawmakers when voted in would have to as well. I don't know for sure, but would think the federal agents would have to as well and I know as a recruit in the US military you have to take an oath to defend the country and the constitution from enemies both foreign and domestic. With that said, why isn't anyone bringing up the fact that an assault on any of our rights is directly breaking the oath that these lawmakers take when they enter office? I would also venture to say that some lawmakers including the president could be impeached and convicted of treason (maybe) for trying to take away the rights that the fathers of this country fought to make sure we had. Not to mention the hundreds of thousands of men and women who have fought bled and died to protect the constitution? Is my thinking correct, at least in theory? The people hold the power in this country, isn't that what the fathers of the constitution and this country wanted? Why are Americans giving their rights up?
The thought that the people we vote into office are using their powers to harm the people they are supposed to protect makes me sick...I'm moving to Texas, may be America's alimo.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 01-02-2013, 03:51 PM   #2
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 4721 Times on 2695 Posts
Likes Given: 3742

Casey, your thoughts are noble, and I share them. I swore the oath on 3APR61.

But the American people no longer support the constitution. They proved that on 6NOV12.

Old 01-02-2013, 04:12 PM   #3

I took mine in nov2001...my mother's birthday actually.

However, noble is not what I'm going for. I'm shooting more for change, not the kind that w were promised the last two elections , but back to a country that I can be proud of all the time instead of sometimes. I'm only 28 and I have two beautiful boys who are 6 & 12 and I want them to have a nation that they are proud of and something that my grandfather will be proud of. I wish I had the answers on how to fix the country that I love, but I don't. I know that I would be upset if the first amendment or third amendment was under attack just like I am that my second amendment is under attack.

Now I'm watching the news and I see that as the country that I love is falling apart financially and otherwise, our fearless leader is back in Hawaii on vacation. I'd like to go on vacation, but my two jobs get in the way of that. Politicians make me sick with their better than you attitudes. I say we fire them all and start over fresh.

Sill think we should try these politicians that vote to take away our rights for treason and take back the country that these people are ruining...

Old 01-02-2013, 04:24 PM   #4
Retired
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2273 Times on 1359 Posts
Likes Given: 1060

There is an organization (I don't think it has been outlawed yet)
www.oathkeepers.com

Check it out

Amendment II:
"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

Life Member NRA
Life Member NAHC

Old 01-02-2013, 04:41 PM   #5
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 4721 Times on 2695 Posts
Likes Given: 3742

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaseyChadwell View Post
I took mine in nov2001...my mother's birthday actually.

However, noble is not what I'm going for. I'm shooting more for change, not the kind that w were promised the last two elections , but back to a country that I can be proud of all the time instead of sometimes. I'm only 28 and I have two beautiful boys who are 6 & 12 and I want them to have a nation that they are proud of and something that my grandfather will be proud of. I wish I had the answers on how to fix the country that I love, but I don't. I know that I would be upset if the first amendment or third amendment was under attack just like I am that my second amendment is under attack.

Now I'm watching the news and I see that as the country that I love is falling apart financially and otherwise, our fearless leader is back in Hawaii on vacation. I'd like to go on vacation, but my two jobs get in the way of that. Politicians make me sick with their better than you attitudes. I say we fire them all and start over fresh.

Sill think we should try these politicians that vote to take away our rights for treason and take back the country that these people are ruining...

My friend, you are preaching to the choir. I share your beliefs. I have a son that was 40 in Sep. I want a better country for him and his wife.

I would do almost anything to bring that about. I've been fighting for that my entire life..

I study politics, I vote, I contribute money to candidates I believe in, I walk door to door, I write letters, I lobby at the legislature....I don't know what more I can do.

Sometimes I feel like a soldier that lost a battle. I didn't prevail, but I have the personal satisfaction of knowing that I fought as hard as I could.

Theodore Roosevelt said:

"Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs, even though checkered with failure, than to take rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy much nor suffer much, because they live in the grey twilight that knows not victory nor defeat."

So keep fighting, even when defeat seems inevitable. I've been on the side of "defeat" far more often than "victory" over the years, but I will keep fighting while I have breath.

After all, that oath ends with "SO HELP ME GOD." Only HE can release us from it.

We are all comrades-in-arms.

Old 01-02-2013, 05:04 PM   #6

I agree. I too have been defeated more than victorious in many things, but I try to keep going. It's just aggrivating when the people are supposed to be the ones giving the politicians the right to do things in America but it's the politicians that take the rights from the people and tell us what rights we have. Its sickening really. This country, in my short time on earth, has moved backwards. I believe in the democratic way, but every day those beliefs are out in question more and more when I see the way these people are ruining the country that I love so much.

I fear that politicians are in it more for the substantial salary rather than for the country and the people anymore. We need more Americans like my grandparents were...proud and honorable and not afraid to fight for what they believe in. My grandpa is prolly rolling in his grave at what this country is becoming.

Old 01-02-2013, 05:17 PM   #7

Liked 343 Times on 184 Posts
Likes Given: 70

We've made oaths meaningless in this country. Part of it is partisanship. We don't hold our leaders accountable and we're so worried about the "other" party that we don't vote out the people we see breaking their oaths.

As an independent who leans right, I'd be perfectly happy to vote out a poor performing Republican just to put an incoming Democrat on notice. "Hey, we voted out the other guy and he was one of us. You better perform well or you're next." Frankly, I think a lot of politicians act the way they do because they have no worries about ever getting voted out of office.

Old 01-02-2013, 05:36 PM   #8

Liked 31 Times on 19 Posts
Likes Given: 28

While an oath means something to the likes of you and I it is merely a mundane formality to the professional politician whom quickly dismisses it from mind.

Old 01-02-2013, 05:43 PM   #9

Again, I agree. I am a registered democrat. While working for the state of Kentucky I was voted in as a local union president. I know some of you won't like that, but that's fine. Work where I did and then come talk to me. Anyway, I found that the most sympathetic state politicians were republicans even though republicans are viewed as not liking unions. It was easier for me to get meetings and results when talking to republicans than dems. There was one democrat state representative that I grew very fond of because his views of politics closely resembled mine. He was a lifelong member of the nra and supported state employees vigorously. I have never voted straight democrat as I have never voted straight republican. I vote the man or woman not the party.

It's easy for Americans to fall prey to their party lines bc so much time money AND effort is wastes bashing the other side of the aisle. I'll be the first to admit that rand Paul was not someone I voted for bc I thought his ideals were extreme, now I have a letter typed up to send to him praising his views and his "extreme" opinions. I was dooped by the dems into thinking he was radical when in fact he was just what we need.

Old 01-02-2013, 05:48 PM   #10

Liked 343 Times on 184 Posts
Likes Given: 70

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaseyChadwell View Post
Again, I agree. I am a registered democrat. While working for the state of Kentucky I was voted in as a local union president. I know some of you won't like that, but that's fine. Work where I did and then come talk to me. Anyway, I found that the most sympathetic state politicians were republicans even though republicans are viewed as not liking unions. It was easier for me to get meetings and results when talking to republicans than dems. There was one democrat state representative that I grew very fond of because his views of politics closely resembled mine. He was a lifelong member of the nra and supported state employees vigorously. I have never voted straight democrat as I have never voted straight republican. I vote the man or woman not the party.
It is a good example of "All politics are local".

We definitely need to work with what we have and hold our leaders accountable. Different areas have different needs and I refuse to believe one party platform is ever going to fully encompass or agree with my personal beliefs.