Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Legal and Activism > Aitken to sue NJ

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-09-2011, 01:01 PM   #1
bkt
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 1305 Times on 664 Posts
Likes Given: 151

Default Aitken to sue NJ

Let's hope this guy wins!

Brian Aitken to file suit against New Jersey officials for civil rights violations
By Chris Moody - The Daily Caller | Published: 12:34 AM 03/09/2011

Brian Aitken, the New Jersey man sentenced to seven years in prison last year for possessing legally owned firearms that were unloaded and locked in the trunk of his car, is filing a civil rights suit against the state prosecutors who put him behind bars and the police officers who searched his car without consent, his attorney told The Daily Caller.

Aitken, 27, was convicted of illegally transporting a weapon in August 2010, but was released after four months spent in prison when New Jersey Republican Gov. Chris Christie commuted his sentence to “time served.” (For the full story, read TheDC’s interview with Aitken.)

His attorney, Michael Orozco, sent letters to the Mount Laurel Police Department and the Burlington County Prosecutor’s Office Monday to notify them that they would be sued for their behavior in the case, which Orozco claims violated Aitken’s civil rights. The parties have six months to respond.

Orozco is filing suit on Aitken’s behalf under Section 1983 of the federal code, which allows citizens to sue state officials who they believe have violated their rights under federal law. He is claiming damages for the two years he spent battling the New Jersey justice system, his time spent in prison, and for the loss of his three-year-old son, who he has been restricted from seeing for more than two years.

“I don’t know how I get the two years back,” Aitken told TheDC last month. “All the money, all the time that’s been spent. I lost custody of my son over this. How does he ever get his father back? He doesn’t. You don’t get any of these things back.”

Aitken currently lives in Atlanta, where he works as a libertarian activist and new media strategist for the Foundation for Economic Education, a free-market think tank.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 03-09-2011, 01:11 PM   #2

Liked 2056 Times on 827 Posts
Likes Given: 2706

I hope he wins

Old 03-09-2011, 01:31 PM   #3
Supporting Member
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2343 Times on 1170 Posts
Likes Given: 1191

Nothing I would like better than for him to pound sand up NJ's A--!
Do you know that a weapons manufacturer can not even do a trade show in NJ without having a NJ local FFL be their sponsor and babysit in order to come into the state and do a show. And one manufacturer who went to one was threatened when he went to the bathroom leaving his table for 5 min. and having the guy from the company in the next booth watch his booth while he was at the restroom. That is why when I was National LE/Govt. Director of Sales and Training for a well known AR Company. We were scheduled to do an LE Show in NJ. But after finding the BS one must go through I told the state and the people involved with the rules for the show to go F themselves and we would not come to NJ! And we never did do any shows there! Obviously as we know it is one of several of the most politically corrupt states in the nation. Good luck to the gentleman and his attorney. I hope it sets a new precedence regarding their stupid anti second amendment laws and they take NJ for a ride!

Old 03-09-2011, 02:29 PM   #4

Liked 4 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sniper03 View Post
But after finding the BS one must go through I told the state and the people involved with the rules for the show to go F themselves and we would not come to NJ! And we never did do any shows there!
And as far as NJ is concerned, that was a mission accomplished for them. You did exactly what all the BS regs. are intended to promote, prevent law abiding citizens who are willing to jump through the hoops they present in order to own a firearm, from even having the opportunity to buy one.
ΜOΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
G.O.A. LIFETIME MEMBER!
Sole owner of Random Thought # 5,000

Old 03-09-2011, 04:17 PM   #5

Liked 31 Times on 22 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by bkt View Post
“I don’t know how I get the two years back,” Aitken told TheDC last month. “All the money, all the time that’s been spent. I lost custody of my son over this. How does he ever get his father back? He doesn’t. You don’t get any of these things back.”
Oh, I don't know....$100 Million would give you the time and money to show your son the World!! I'd go for it!!

People get the government they deserve.

Old 03-09-2011, 04:29 PM   #6
Supporting Member
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2343 Times on 1170 Posts
Likes Given: 1191

Jesse,

I understand what you are saying. This however was a Law Enforcement and Government restricted weapon show! I just chose to not do business with the State and Government entities in NJ. There is enough business and good people out there that I personally will not put up with idiots like this in my life. I deeply feel for the people of NJ but they need to ban together and start an all out fight to change this type of situation. I realize it would be an uphill battle but who ever thought the security officer in Chicago would make the progress they did with handguns and the political machine in Chicago. Of course the total battle has not been won there at this time. Daley still pulling his cr-pp! Hopefully the guy will pound sand as I stated earlier.

Old 03-09-2011, 05:24 PM   #7

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

I also hope Mr Aitken to win a nice large settlement from the coffers of the state (that are empty).

There is litigation ongoing to change NJs "issuing conditions", the law currently requires a "justifiable need" to get a carry permit. If this case is won in our favor it may require a reworking of a whole slew of archaic gun laws.

"I pledge allegiance to the flag of the United States of America, and to the republic for which it stands, one nation under God, indivisible, with liberty and justice for all."

The two enemies of the people are criminals and government, so let us tie the second down with the chains of the Constitution so the second will not become the legalized version of the first. Thomas Jefferson

Old 03-09-2011, 06:41 PM   #8
JTJ
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1826 Times on 990 Posts
Likes Given: 557

If he wins the law suit, he should then file criminal charges against them. Let them have a taste of their own medicine.

Patron Member NRA
"I would not be an old man if I had not been an armed young man." JTJ
"Political correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and promoted by mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a piece of feces by the clean end."

Old 03-09-2011, 08:51 PM   #9

Liked 31 Times on 22 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by JTJ View Post
If he wins the law suit, he should then file criminal charges against them. Let them have a taste of their own medicine.
Quoted for truth!! Thumbs up!

People get the government they deserve.

Old 03-09-2011, 09:47 PM   #10

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by JTJ View Post
Thumbs up x 2

[]]]]]]]]]]]]\>
"----)_'_\--(
"--------\--\
"---------\_/