Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   Legal and Activism (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f97/)
-   -   Aitken to sue NJ (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f97/aitken-sue-nj-39532/)

bkt 03-09-2011 01:01 PM

Aitken to sue NJ

Let's hope this guy wins!

Brian Aitken to file suit against New Jersey officials for civil rights violations
By Chris Moody - The Daily Caller | Published: 12:34 AM 03/09/2011

Brian Aitken, the New Jersey man sentenced to seven years in prison last year for possessing legally owned firearms that were unloaded and locked in the trunk of his car, is filing a civil rights suit against the state prosecutors who put him behind bars and the police officers who searched his car without consent, his attorney told The Daily Caller.

Aitken, 27, was convicted of illegally transporting a weapon in August 2010, but was released after four months spent in prison when New Jersey Republican Gov. Chris Christie commuted his sentence to ďtime served.Ē (For the full story, read TheDCís interview with Aitken.)

His attorney, Michael Orozco, sent letters to the Mount Laurel Police Department and the Burlington County Prosecutorís Office Monday to notify them that they would be sued for their behavior in the case, which Orozco claims violated Aitkenís civil rights. The parties have six months to respond.

Orozco is filing suit on Aitkenís behalf under Section 1983 of the federal code, which allows citizens to sue state officials who they believe have violated their rights under federal law. He is claiming damages for the two years he spent battling the New Jersey justice system, his time spent in prison, and for the loss of his three-year-old son, who he has been restricted from seeing for more than two years.

ďI donít know how I get the two years back,Ē Aitken told TheDC last month. ďAll the money, all the time thatís been spent. I lost custody of my son over this. How does he ever get his father back? He doesnít. You donít get any of these things back.Ē

Aitken currently lives in Atlanta, where he works as a libertarian activist and new media strategist for the Foundation for Economic Education, a free-market think tank.

opaww 03-09-2011 01:11 PM

I hope he wins

Sniper03 03-09-2011 01:31 PM

Nothing I would like better than for him to pound sand up NJ's A--!
Do you know that a weapons manufacturer can not even do a trade show in NJ without having a NJ local FFL be their sponsor and babysit in order to come into the state and do a show. And one manufacturer who went to one was threatened when he went to the bathroom leaving his table for 5 min. and having the guy from the company in the next booth watch his booth while he was at the restroom. That is why when I was National LE/Govt. Director of Sales and Training for a well known AR Company. We were scheduled to do an LE Show in NJ. But after finding the BS one must go through I told the state and the people involved with the rules for the show to go F themselves and we would not come to NJ! And we never did do any shows there! Obviously as we know it is one of several of the most politically corrupt states in the nation. Good luck to the gentleman and his attorney. I hope it sets a new precedence regarding their stupid anti second amendment laws and they take NJ for a ride!

Jesse17 03-09-2011 02:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sniper03 (Post 460862)
But after finding the BS one must go through I told the state and the people involved with the rules for the show to go F themselves and we would not come to NJ! And we never did do any shows there!

And as far as NJ is concerned, that was a mission accomplished for them. You did exactly what all the BS regs. are intended to promote, prevent law abiding citizens who are willing to jump through the hoops they present in order to own a firearm, from even having the opportunity to buy one.

dunerunner 03-09-2011 04:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bkt (Post 460843)
ďI donít know how I get the two years back,Ē Aitken told TheDC last month. ďAll the money, all the time thatís been spent. I lost custody of my son over this. How does he ever get his father back? He doesnít. You donít get any of these things back.Ē

Oh, I don't know....$100 Million would give you the time and money to show your son the World!! I'd go for it!! :D

Sniper03 03-09-2011 04:29 PM

Jesse,

I understand what you are saying. This however was a Law Enforcement and Government restricted weapon show! I just chose to not do business with the State and Government entities in NJ. There is enough business and good people out there that I personally will not put up with idiots like this in my life. I deeply feel for the people of NJ but they need to ban together and start an all out fight to change this type of situation. I realize it would be an uphill battle but who ever thought the security officer in Chicago would make the progress they did with handguns and the political machine in Chicago. Of course the total battle has not been won there at this time. Daley still pulling his cr-pp! Hopefully the guy will pound sand as I stated earlier.

pandamonium 03-09-2011 05:24 PM

I also hope Mr Aitken to win a nice large settlement from the coffers of the state (that are empty).

There is litigation ongoing to change NJs "issuing conditions", the law currently requires a "justifiable need" to get a carry permit. If this case is won in our favor it may require a reworking of a whole slew of archaic gun laws.

JTJ 03-09-2011 06:41 PM

If he wins the law suit, he should then file criminal charges against them. Let them have a taste of their own medicine.

dunerunner 03-09-2011 08:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JTJ (Post 461045)
If he wins the law suit, he should then file criminal charges against them. Let them have a taste of their own medicine.

Quoted for truth!! Thumbs up!

jca1 03-09-2011 09:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JTJ (Post 461045)

Thumbs up x 2