Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Legal and Activism > Airgun import for non-resident

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-17-2010, 08:17 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default Airgun import for non-resident

Hi there,
I have a question about Vermont gun laws. Here is the context:
I am a Canadian currently studying in Czech Republic and I have bought a nice CZ200T airgun here. It is however over powered for the Canadian gun laws, so it is considered a firearm in Canada.
My stay here comes to its end, and I do not have a license back in Canada to import my airgun, since it is considered as a firearm.
What I thought of doing is to send the airgun to the US in Vermont, pick up the airgun there and store it on my boat (located in the US, just to be clear) until I obtain my Canadian license and I would then import and register my airgun with the Canadian customs.

My question is: can an airgun be imported by a non-resident in Vermont? Am I breaking any US laws by doing this?

Thanks in advance!
Marco

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 05-17-2010, 08:31 PM   #2

Liked 20 Times on 13 Posts
Likes Given: 141

I am thinking I would not risk bringing in a weapon, if it were me.

Not familiar with Vermont law but many states classify airguns as weapons/maybe not firearms/ and thus I think you might have some issues. As a non-resident there may be questions if it is declared.

Old 05-17-2010, 08:48 PM   #3

Thanks for the quick and sound advice, Agent_H.

Since Vermont gun laws weren't very stiff, I thought there would no problem.

But here in Canada, an airgun shooting under 500fps is considered as a toy basically, no permits are required. Above that limit, the airgun is considered a firearm. I was trying to find that kind of regulations on airguns in Vermont, but couldn't find any. There is a lot about the concealed carry, and other firearm related info, but airgun are not mentioned.

Anybody has some info about that?

Marco

Old 05-17-2010, 08:55 PM   #4

Liked 117 Times on 69 Posts
Likes Given: 204

Default try this

one way to find out would be to see if you can order a high powered airgun from any online catalog company, cheaper than dirt, midwayusa, sportsmans guide, etc. and see if they will ship or will deliver it to a vermont address.
Like if i try to order pistol ammo for delivery to a chicago address(i can't), a lot of places will list the restrictions so you avoid placing an order that will be cancelled later.

my hat is off to anyone who has served or is currently serving our country.....God bless you..you're friends and family included.

for the latest chitown headlines, check here:
http://secondcitycop.blogspot.com/

NRA - member for life

Old 05-17-2010, 09:20 PM   #5

Good idea Mack.

I tried placing the order, but no where I was asked if I was a resident or not... Anyway, I emailed a VT dealer. They should know the answer.

Thanks for the help!
Marco

Old 05-17-2010, 11:40 PM   #6
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 7560 Times on 3293 Posts
Likes Given: 1122

IMPORTING an airgun into the US will be covered by US law, not by state law. In general, an airgun is not considered a firearm under Federal law. I am also not considered a lawyer. Would suggest you contact the US Commerce Dept.

What we have heah is.... failure to communicate.

Old 05-18-2010, 06:41 AM   #7

C3shooter is right, two airgun dealers confirmed there were no problem as long as it's airguns.

Thanks again folks!