Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Legal and Activism > Age to OWN AND CARRY a handgun?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-23-2011, 03:01 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Question Age to OWN AND CARRY a handgun?

Hi, i live in New Hampshire and I hear a lot of different things. i tried looking it up but i get different answers as well. This is what I think is correct. You can get a permit to conceal a weapon at 18. You MUST be 21 or older to purchase a handgun. But if someone like a parent gives me a handgun can i possess it? Can i open carry it?

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 06-23-2011, 03:06 PM   #2

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Questions better asked of your local PD.

Old 06-23-2011, 03:12 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonnypie View Post
Questions better asked of your local PD.
yes, thats what it will probably come down to.

Old 06-23-2011, 03:27 PM   #4

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

You could get a lot of advice that probably wouldn't mesh with your location.
Look in the phone book, or stop by your local police station and inquire.
Maybe some local firearms dealers could help with answers as well? Or local clubs, or ranges.
The only stupid question is the one not asked.
Another possible source might be the NRA ILA about your State.

Old 06-30-2011, 01:09 AM   #5

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Best place, IMO, would be to ask an actual lawyer. They know the law better than some LEO's. No offense to LEO's of course, just that the laws change so flippin often, and the lawyers job is to stay on top of them.

Old 06-30-2011, 08:40 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by kwikrnu View Post
The cops are not likely the best people to answer your question. If you do ask them double check by looking up the state laws. I would guess that in NH open carry is legal by anyone over the age of 18.

New Hampshire General Court Legislation Text Search
IMHO, I would not rely on what an officer says is the law or what is randomly written on the internet. I would go to the state's official code and read it for myself and make my own judgement. YMMV.

Other places of interest:
Handgunlaw.us
Concealed Carry - Reciprocity Maps - Concealed Weapons Permit Info

"No Free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms." (Thomas Jefferson, Proposal Virginia Constitution, 1 T. Jefferson Papers, 334,[C.J.Boyd, Ed., 1950])