again? - Page 2
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Legal and Activism > again?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-20-2011, 03:52 PM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 15 Times on 11 Posts

My Grandfather taught me gun safety, handling, shooting, and bird hunting when I was seven. I have done the same with my girls and boys. Hunting & Fishing was life to rural kids and even town kids somewhat when I was growing up. A part of life so to speak.

NRA Lifer Since 1968
Former USMC
Former Texas NG

Old 04-20-2011, 04:37 PM   #12

Liked 1419 Times on 808 Posts
Likes Given: 1290

darwinism.jpg  

http://i1060.photobucket.com/albums/...ps18cfbeae.jpg

Get her dirty, then clean her so she starts to respect you. When her trust is complete, she will serve you well for a lifetime!

"...if doves shot back, there wouldn't be a need for a bag limit."
- orangello

Old 04-20-2011, 05:29 PM   #13

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

^^^^^exactly!!!^^^^^

"I pledge allegiance to the flag of the United States of America, and to the republic for which it stands, one nation under God, indivisible, with liberty and justice for all."

The two enemies of the people are criminals and government, so let us tie the second down with the chains of the Constitution so the second will not become the legalized version of the first. Thomas Jefferson

Old 04-21-2011, 02:55 AM   #14

Liked 27 Times on 22 Posts
Likes Given: 10

Default yes!

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldshooter View Post
Another way to protect your kids is to take the mystery away form the "forbidden" objects.
I always told my kids if they wanted to see or touch one of my guns to just ask. I stopped what I was doing and spent time with them. I started my kids shooting very early and it paid off with my youngest. He did 3 tours in Iraq and 1 in Afghanistan and came home in one piece.
If you want the kids to respect a weapon then spend time with them.
"lecture over"
I whole heartedly agree. I worked it this way with my daughter and now she is out shooting precision rifle to 1k yards, tactical carbine, is a certified handgun instructor and works Close Personal Protection for a living. Locking them up will only increase the mystique and if they find one at a friends house someone will still get hurt because they are uneducated.

"If there must be trouble, let it be in my day, that my child may have peace." - Thomas Paine
Vietnam Vet 1968 MCB 53 Danang

Old 04-21-2011, 04:40 AM   #15

Liked 2450 Times on 1396 Posts
Likes Given: 1911

Quote:
Originally Posted by wmille01 View Post
I'm not saying that people should beat there kids it's just what my dad did you know old days, now a days it abuse. I can understand why people are worried about there kids, I can understand why some people beat there kids. When I was younger I spent most of my time doing stupid stuff that got me in trouble, I wouldn't have trusted me around guns then either.

Honestly if your kid(s) was doing stupid stuff on a regular basis would you really trust them with a weapon at least at a young age. This kid should not have been able to get a hold of the gun, I'm not saying that the parents are bad parents just that they could have taken more step to make sure that something like this didn't happen.
Whoa, slow down, OP, sometimes physical punishment or other
methods to display your disapproval are very necessary.

All I'm trying to point out is there is more to discipline than
merely beating a child. Proper discipline, like proper diet, is a noun,
NOT a verb...

Old 04-21-2011, 12:35 PM   #16
FTF_MODERATOR.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 2692 Times on 1406 Posts
Likes Given: 216

Ross Elementary is in the HOOD! One of many "hoods" in Houston. The only gun safety taught in most homes is how to shoot sideways from a moving car. Very doubtful you will find a single NRA member residing in that zip code. Houston is the 4th largest city in the Country and has the 3rd higest homicide rate. Houston/Harris County has more people on Death Row/executed (402) that the entire state of Florida has on Death Row currently (393)!

In life, strive to take the high road....It offers a better field of fire.
"Robo is right" Fuzzball

Old 04-22-2011, 12:00 PM   #17

Liked 27 Times on 22 Posts
Likes Given: 10

Default good point

Quote:
Originally Posted by robocop10mm View Post
Ross Elementary is in the HOOD! One of many "hoods" in Houston. The only gun safety taught in most homes is how to shoot sideways from a moving car. Very doubtful you will find a single NRA member residing in that zip code. Houston is the 4th largest city in the Country and has the 3rd higest homicide rate. Houston/Harris County has more people on Death Row/executed (402) that the entire state of Florida has on Death Row currently (393)!
very good point. out of political correctness, the news is often filtered or totally manipulated to support an agenda, gain sympathy, sway opinion or fudge the numbers of a poll. As Paul Harvey would say "now for the rest of the story." In some hoods gun safety simply means shooting first.

"If there must be trouble, let it be in my day, that my child may have peace." - Thomas Paine
Vietnam Vet 1968 MCB 53 Danang

Last edited by culdee; 04-22-2011 at 12:03 PM.

Old 04-22-2011, 01:34 PM   #18
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2067 Times on 1118 Posts
Likes Given: 3105

Quote:

+1

My son, daughter and grand kids live in the Houston area. The crime situation got much worse when the so called "Katrina victims" converged on Houston and never left. Seems that welfare is easier to get in Houston than in New Orleans: It pays more in Houston too.

Quote:
very good point. out of political correctness, the news is often filtered or totally manipulated to support an agenda, gain sympathy, sway opinion or fudge the numbers of a poll. As Paul Harvey would say "now for the rest of the story."
Exactly. Ultra liberal news organizations have an agenda. They never tell "the rest of the story".

Old 04-22-2011, 05:35 PM   #19

Liked 8 Times on 5 Posts

Very true. These area's and the Katrina flooding (people not water) into the area are responsible for Houston being known as the "Armpit" of The Great State of Texas. (Not saying I agree or not with that assessment)

At any rate this incident should NOT be a general representation of the "result" of a parent being irresponsible with firearms. It should just be another case of a child growing up in a bad environment and the poor and/or lack of parenting that is the norm for that area.

I was raised around firearms and shot them at 5, carried rifles and .22 revolvers by 10, unsupervised. I got a safety lesson before each session and knew how to treat firearms. . . SAFELY!

If you tell a child to simply "not touch" they are gonna want to touch. My daughters are familiar with guns being around, but have been given many safety lessons and know not to touch when Dad's not around. They will be shooting rim fires soon though. Oldest is 5! Prime age!

Old 04-25-2011, 03:23 PM   #20
Lifetime Supporting Member
FTF_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 8134 Times on 4695 Posts
Likes Given: 10492

Quote:
Originally Posted by therewolf View Post
Unfortunately, many people seem to think "discipline" just means you

have to beat your kids.

It's about letting them know what your expectations are, and

conditioning them to respond properly.

As oldshooter said, it's about spending your time with them.
Discipline starts as soon as the child is self-aware, once that time passes if you haven't taken the lead it is often monumentally difficult to regain your position as a parent rather than an equal. I have never had to use physical discipline methods with my boys in over 15 years (as a matter of fact that would have been counter-productive with my youngest son and would have served to alienate my older son out of fear.) We have a strong relationship and they respect me (although sometimes they will test that as boys will do). I started conditioning them to the fact that guns are in the house and not to be touched as soon as they began to understand the differences between objects in their lives (they started knowing the difference between a dog and a stuffed animal for instance).

This went on and developed over time to be something similar to the NRA Eddie Eagle program (more or less). I would periodically run "tests", leaving an unloaded gun somewhere in the house where they would come across it to see what they would do. Without fail they would not touch it and as soon as they saw it they would come running to get me or their Mom. I would also tell them every time that they would one day be trained on how to safely handle and shoot guns when their Mom and I decided they were ready, which ended up being at 7 years old for the oldest and 6 for the younger brother.... Mom's decision. I was angling towards 5 years old but we had to be in total agreement for it to work. They were also told that there was no room for accidents or mistakes. One accident or mistake would result in them being unable to handle guns for a longer period of time. Period.

That conditioning still works today now that they are handling firearms on an almost daily basis. If there is a gun left somewhere where it doesn't belong (regardless of where we are) they do not touch it, they notify me or another adult to its presence. Every gun is checked for safe every time it is handled, even if it is handed from one person who has just checked it to another who watched the first person check it. No room for mistakes.