Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   Legal and Activism (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f97/)
-   -   Advertising you own and/or carry a gun (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f97/advertising-you-own-carry-gun-1432/)

rachilders 07-27-2007 10:11 PM

Advertising you own and/or carry a gun

I've noticed that a lot of gun owners, both here and at other forums, seem almost paranoid (not that there's anything wrong with being paranoid sometimes) about other people knowing they may own and/or carry guns, and go to great lengths to avoid anything that would indicate it... wearing gun related clothing like a shooting vest or shirts and hats with a firearm logo for example, or even an NRA or local gun club sticker on their car. My question to all of you is WHY?

I understand not wanting peope to know you're carrying or own firearms if you're going someplace where it's not usually allowed, if you knew someone is already "gunning" for you and you don't want them to know you are armed, or if you live in an very high crime area and are concerned with someone burglarizing your home to steal your weapons. Otherwise, why the great concern by so many people about advertising they exercise their 2A right to keep and bear arms? I'd like to think that most of us here don't have to spend the majority of our time in the conditions previously mentioned, so the need for constant secrecy shouldn't be necessary.

Has anyone here - or does anyone here KNOW someone personally who has - been specifically selected for attack or robbery because they own and/or carry a firearm? I'm not talking hypothetical situations or "I heard that a friend of a friend of a friend was once..." and "I've never had it happen because I don't advertise" scenarios. I mean actual first hand cases where you or someone you personally know was selected for some sort of attack or crime specifically because you own a gun.

I have some personal observations and opinions as to why we should advertise, or at least not be afraid to let others know we do own and/or carry weapons, but I'll save them for a later response to keep this post from getting too long.

BLS33 07-27-2007 10:39 PM

I've wondered this myself. I recall posting some of my firearms on a forum and people saying how stupid it was because people know I have them and I may become a target for theft :confused: I realize guns are a popular item to steal but so are cars, so anyone who posts their car is stupid? Also there is quite a bit of danger involved in trying to rob a gun owner ;) . I guess people want me to never post anything I own of value that isn't impossible to steal.

Also finding targets through internet forums seems like an illogical method. So supposedly thieves are cruising the net looking for things to steal? What are the chances this particular thieve finds a person in close proximity with something they want? Seems pretty far fetched to me.

opaww 07-28-2007 08:06 AM

I personally do let people know I have weapons; it keeps me safe from the ghetto I live next to. Everyone knows I carry a concealed weapon and have other guns also. But in light of that back in 1971 I left all my guns at my mothers house when I came back from my tour in Asia and no one knew I had them or that they were stored there. Some one broke in her house and stole just the guns after I was gone. Someone had to of known but how I do not know because I never showed anyone them and no one saw them being unpacked.

ScottG 07-28-2007 06:10 PM

I would say I'm more likely to be open about what I own online. (see photo collection attached to this site)

We're a gun site here so I'd expect people to know I have guns. However, the public at large does not need to know what I have or that I have anything. I do have a small state rifle and pistol association sticker on a front window of my garage, so anyone snooping or sneaking around at night would see it and hopefully take the hint that trying to break in could result in severe injury or possible death.

You have to remember if you're living in an urban or suburban area, many of your neighbors could be moral cowards who fear guns and would make trouble for you if they saw you openly displaying or working on your guns. When I take the guns out for a shooting session, they are all in a range bag or rifle case so they don't show to whomever might be passing by.

I don't deny owning firearms, but I don't advertise that fact in public either unless those I'm around also own guns. It's safer that way just because of the hostility of a large segment of the populace who would make life difficult because you aren't willing to be a victim of crime.

rachilders 07-28-2007 08:12 PM

Before this post goes any farther, I want to make sure there is no misconception here about my use of the phrase "advertising". I am in NO way suggesting anyone walk around telling or displaying the fact you have a weapon. Maybe I should have been more specific, for which I apologize. My meaning was that many people refuse to openly display any connection with firearms what-so-ever, like wearing a shirt with a S&W or Ruger logo printed on it, a NRA cap, a window or bumper sticker with a gun/firearm related image/theme/affiliation to it, etc.

Personally, I have talked to several career LEO's about this same subject and asked their opinion on it. To a man, they said they've talked about this with career criminals and they all (cops & BG's) agreed that wearing "gun themed" clothing or displaying gun related stickers on your auto or home made no difference to probably 99% of the BG's talked to. Interestingly, the same thing happened when John Stossel did a 20/20 report for ABC a year or two ago about guns and criminals. Both my LEO friends and the 20/20 report they asked career criminals if knowing someone was armed would make a difference to the crooks as to who they would select as a victim, and EVERY SINGLE ONE of the BG's said that if they knew (or thought) a potential victim had a weapon, they would find another victim. They all agreed they did NOT want to get involved in a potential shootout if it was avoidable and there were too many unarmed victims available to risk getting shot at unnecessarily. Let me say this; it did not include situations where a specific victim was picked for a specific reason (drug deals, domestic situations, gang shootings, etc) or situations where the victim happened to be, basically, in the wrong place at the wrong time such as in a bank during a robbery.

I'm not saying we should all run around with pistols and a bullseye painted on our shirts with the phrase, "You'll only take it from my cold, dead hands" printed on the back, but we shouldn't feel afraid that the simple mention our ownership of guns in public. It's our right under the U.S. Constitution to own fireams and the fear that others might know this should not make make us feel like targets of opportunity for every criminal or the first target of choice by the next nut case to go on a killing rampage.

ScottG 08-01-2007 09:36 PM

OK, I understand you now.

Except for the sticker mentioned above, I have one shirt from Henry RAC that I wear when I go out to shoot in cooler weather. I generally don't wear branded merchandise of any kind. I don't wear camo either, it seems a little silly to me unless you're in the army or actually on a hunt.

pioneer461 08-02-2007 08:10 PM

In 30 years of police service, I've never encountered such a case. I personally have NRA stickers on both cars, but avoid wearing gun related clothing or t-shirts unless I'm going to be with like-minded friends.

IF someone is able to read one of my posts, and from that information find out where I live, they'd have to get past my Wolf hybrid German Shepherd, to get at my wife who shoots as well as I, and me with one of my .45's. :cool:

Spartan 08-09-2007 03:40 PM

lol

didnt really read the forum thoroughly but caught a brief portion of a post about someone who owns firearms becoming the victim of theft, lmfao!! crime makes you stupid, but that is too stupid. lol. not the post itself, but the idea of selecting a gun owner as the victim for any crime, a smart person would automatically assume that if they have one gun that is not being carried, they will probably have one that is. i always have one close enough to make it count. i cant wait to be that victim, hopefully the guy has a couple of bucks in his pocket too, it will make it profitable. lol

robocop10mm 08-09-2007 05:47 PM

Advertising

There has been much intel lately about organized criminal groups (terrorists, MS-13, White supremicists etc) following officers home to gather intel on where to go to obtain weapons. Several officers have had their homes and cars burglarized in an apparent attemp to obtain weapons.

If they want to stock up they know where to go, the house that has the pickup parked out front with the Glock perfection sticker in the back window.

On the other hand, They could break into any random house in Texas and have a better than even chance of finding at least one gun.

Spartan 08-09-2007 07:27 PM

robo is right

not just texas, even in washington the same would be true, you have at least a 50 50 chance when hitting a house in a state that doesnt restrict the right to carry or even provides for open carry i would think. and you do hear a great deal about police officers homes being hit as well, obviously if the patrol car isnt there, guess who isnt home