Activism is No. 1 - Page 3
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Legal and Activism > Activism is No. 1

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-09-2011, 10:53 PM   #21
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 2603 Times on 1480 Posts
Likes Given: 2004

Yes, but will you try to get 20 others to join GOA?

Face it, even if we spread it over 4 major organizations, we'll still have

5 times the voice in government.

My point is we need to awaken the real power of those around us,

rather than spinn our wheels trying to convert antis.

Old 02-10-2011, 12:04 PM   #22
bkt

Liked 1305 Times on 664 Posts
Likes Given: 151

Yes, I have tried (and met with some success) to get many people to join up with GOA.

Lobby groups don't tickle me in general, and a strong lobbying base that is pro-2A doesn't seem like the way to go. If politicians cave to pro-2A groups in order to retain their elected positions, their entire premise is wrong and subject to change if that lobby group every goes away or new politicians are elected. Nailing down 2A in court and re-establishing the convention that individuals are the militia and thus have a right to own, carry and transport arms (military and not) is preferred.

Stupid stuff like United States v. Miller which cemented the National Firearms Act is an example of what must be re-examined and overturned. A lobby group can't achieve that.

Old 02-10-2011, 01:38 PM   #23
JTJ
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2261 Times on 1232 Posts
Likes Given: 667

What if a state declared that all its citizens over 18 were members or eligible to become members of a state defense force (militia)? Would not the restrictions of no sporting purpose obsolete? This is something I was thinking about contacting one or more of our state representatives about. Could be worded to include volunteer. This would give everyone in the state the opportunity to become a member of a legally valid militia.

Patron Member NRA
"I would not be an old man if I had not been an armed young man." JTJ
I was taught to respect my elders but they are getting harder to find.

Last edited by JTJ; 02-10-2011 at 01:56 PM.

Old 02-10-2011, 01:55 PM   #24

Liked 109 Times on 46 Posts
Likes Given: 6

Dealing with politicians can be extremely difficult but necessary to get our voices and demands heard. What is also needed is for each one of us to educate our family members, friends, co-workers, and anyone else who doesn't understand what the 2nd is all about. I'm sure that a lot of opposition comes from the thought of a bunch of armed people wandering around the country wanting to do evil. That's where the education part comes in. People have to understand that being an armed nation prevents takeover by the government and possibly stronger factions throughout the world.

If those opposed just take a moment to look at the countries recent and in the past that have restricted or outlawed guns, the governments in power became dictatorships and either crippled or destroyed them. The citizens are now sheep being led by the wolves.

"As an American, I was not so shocked that Obama was given the Nobel Peace Prize without any accomplishments to his name, but that America gave him the White House based on the same credentials"...Newt Gingrich

The problems we face today are there because the people who work for a living are outnumbered by those who vote for a living.

Old 02-10-2011, 06:42 PM   #25

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

There are a lot of people who really have no clue, or give any thought at all to 2A rights. When I come across these people, I try to explain what the right to keep and bear arms really means. In addition to all the things such as defending our selves from some who would do us harm, or a government that has become tyrannical, it is important to mention that if anyone thinks it is ok to just take away our Second Amendment Rights, then what would stop them from taking away ALL of our rights?!! If our right to self-defense is removed, then our right to a fair and speedy trial or free speech or ANY of our rights can be taken away. I try to stress the fact that because the American people have the right to be armed, this (at least theoretically), keeps the rest of our rights safe.

Trying to sway an anti-gunner is usually a waste of time, but there are enough folks out there who have no idea what the Bill of Rights says! Educating these people is generally easy. Education, information, and being active is the key!

"I pledge allegiance to the flag of the United States of America, and to the republic for which it stands, one nation under God, indivisible, with liberty and justice for all."

The two enemies of the people are criminals and government, so let us tie the second down with the chains of the Constitution so the second will not become the legalized version of the first. Thomas Jefferson

Old 02-10-2011, 07:16 PM   #26

Liked 3736 Times on 1825 Posts
Likes Given: 13270

Quote:
Originally Posted by pandamonium View Post
There are a lot of people who really have no clue, or give any thought at all to 2A rights.
You hit the nail on the head with that one. Anytime I find myself talking with someone against or ignorant of 2A I ask them what it means. Then I ask them to change out "arms" with "spoons". Then ask them what it means again. Sadly most of the time people just don't recognize that 2A is for their own protection, from their own Gov't.

I've been listening to this argument nearly all my life, I'm 38 now, and I am long past tired of hearing it. Let the Gov't push too far, bring it i front of the Supreme Court, one way or the other I'd like to see and end to this argument!

Member: NRA GOA

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
Est sularas oth mithas

"either way, you were guilty by association, so you were smited...." JD